Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pathfinder monsters in a 5e game

Good afternoon,  I have a crafty bunch of players that know stat blocks of almost all monsters in the 5e MM.  I'be branched out and I use a lot of other monsters from places like Kobold Press and Nord games.  However, when Adam Koebel was doing a "first look" at the pathfinder monsters, I was really intrigued by a lot of the options given.   Here is my question: Since pathfinder and 5e use two different character sheets (I have the roll20 OGL loaded into my game right now), what happens when I purchase assets from another game and load them into a d&d game? Would I even see the stats? Or would the stat blocks look weird?

Edited 1579636391
Purchasing Monster sets add them to your compendium, which are exclusive to one another. You can't have 2 Compendiums in a single game. Additionally, even if you could, Pathfinder is a different rule set. and so the only thing really useful to you is the art, because you'll have to otherwise convert all the monsters to 5e. Also, most of the creatures in the Bestiary are also in the Monster Manual. There's a lot of overlap there. Edit: Also, I would recommend checking Pathfinder 2e, to give an unsolicited suggestion. The monster design really is better than 5e's, and as a unified ruleset is a lot more robust, imo. It also allows for some great character customization. That said, this is all assuming you're willing to trade the rather light load of 5e for something definitely more complex and fiddly. There is a trade off, but I think it is more than worth it.