Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Question/Request] Trace Ruler Path (for Ordering Units in Mass Combat)

Is it possible to create a script that automates the tracing of the Ruler's path using a line tool? If not, is there a script that will get me close to this functionality?  If you're wondering why I'm requesting this, let me explain: In some of my upcoming games, we may end up getting into a little bit of mass combat. The players will take the roles of commanders in an army where they will have to issue orders to several units on each of their turns. In this system, the units can move a pretty good distance but will rarely do so in a linear path; in order to avoid certain engagements or to navigate around difficult terrain, the units will often maneuver around these obstacles rather than attempt to go through them. If they encounter another unit, their movement will stop and a combat encounter commences. The Ruler's waypoint functionality is absolutely perfect for this type of planned movement. The problem is that on any given turn, a player may have to maneuver several units. Since the ruler disappears after you begin using it to measure a second path, this means that you have to create a movement order one at a time. Currently I can have the ruler stay on screen and then use the polygonal line tool to trace the ruler's path, but it's pretty slow to do - especially if you're juggling several units at once. I know there are a few measurement scripts out there, but I can't find one that easily allows me to measure and draw a path simultaneously by clicking something like a macro button (at least, not from what I can see - there seem to be a few possible utility scripts that might help do this, but I couldn't really find any documentation that was put into more layman's terms). If I'm mistaken, please let me know!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The API doesn't have access to data from the Measure tool.  However, You could make a script to trace the movement path of a token.  You could have your Commanders nice little crosshairs or similar tokens about, dropping waypoints with Q, then realize then as lines using an API script. 
The Aaron said: The API doesn't have access to data from the Measure tool.  However, You could make a script to trace the movement path of a token.  You could have your Commanders nice little crosshairs or similar tokens about, dropping waypoints with Q, then realize then as lines using an API script.  Darn! Yeah, I saw there were a few scripts that tracked movement (ex: one that I believe is called "Light Crumbs") which used tokens that I was thinking about re-purposing for this.I'll have to look into this a little bit more. Thank you for the reply!