Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Creating Content with 5e OGL, Compedium Copyrite question

So I am currently creating a add-on I hope to release here on roll20 and have a question. The water Elemental Appears in the 5e OGL, so would be usable by me. My question is, when prepping the adventure does that mean i can use the water elemental token and information pulled from the compendium?Or should I just make a new monster, and specifically use the stats/information in the OGL and make custom art and token for the Water Elemental? I'm an artist so creating those type of assets is not a problem just trying to grasp the full extent of content i need to make. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1579990592
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is not an official answer, just a word from someone who has done a lot of freelance work on licensed properties. Artwork assets are not covered by the OGL. Wizards has a fairly liberal policy for art use on fan sites, but commercial products are a different beast entirely. You would also need to ensure that any wording you use is compliant with the SRD. If the PHB has different wording for an ability, you must use the SRD version, even if it is in error. So yes, you would need to make or license artwork for any token art. There are quite a few artists in the marketplace who might be approachable for licensing. There are also licensable libraries of generic RPG art on the internet.  It would certainly be easier and cheaper than trying to license official artwork from WotC.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The OGL only allows you to use the name of the monster with the stat blocks. You have to provide your own original artwork for everything. Also, you cannot use trademarks including terms. For example, "Dungeon Master" is actually owned by WotC, thus you would have to use Game Master. "D&D", "Dungeons & Dragons", etc... is IP as well. You cannot even include something like "Compatible with 5e D&D". Most people will simply say "5e", "Fifth Edition", etc... It is best to look up what is owned by WotC to be safe. The good news is that if you slip up, you won't immediately be sued. You will receive a "Cease and Desist" notice first giving you time (I think it is 30 days) to remove or change the content.  I know there are many artists here that provide commercial licenses for art. I personally do battle maps. Art will be the biggest project when creating an adventure on Roll20. You mentioned that you are an artist, so that will help immensely.  Good luck!
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi Joellen Keith's answer is the exact one I'd give! You must stick to the 5E OGL text, unless making something completely unique. The OGL also has no art , so everything must be created uniquely by yourself.  It sounds like you've purchased the Monster Manual if you have access to a token from the Compendium. That is Wizards of the Coast intellectual property and cannot be used to generate a module on the Roll20 platform. Everything you create must be something you  have license for or ownership of.  Thank you for asking - this is a common question :) Happy creating! Looking forward to seeing what you submit for the Marketplace Trivia - Director of Licensing
I am currently working on a supplement for DND 5e that will use the Open Game License. As a part of this supplement, I want to create a new subclass for the Artificer. However, the Artificer is not a part of the SRD. Am I still allowed to create such a subclass and just not mention that it's for the Artificer? Or can I reference the Artificer class like any other class?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
jaisomn m. said: I am currently working on a supplement for DND 5e that will use the Open Game License. As a part of this supplement, I want to create a new subclass for the Artificer. However, the Artificer is not a part of the SRD. Am I still allowed to create such a subclass and just not mention that it's for the Artificer? Or can I reference the Artificer class like any other class? Unless you have signed a license directly with WotC, you may not reference anything D&D outside of what is provided in the SRD.