Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hide/reveal tabs

Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
So, I am looking into creating a sheet for the Palladium Heroes Unlimited game, but the more I look at it, the more I see it is going to take a ridiculous number of tabs to organize.  A lot of the tabs won't be needed unless the character is a specific thing.  So I figured I needed to figure out how to reveal and hide tabs.  I am just playing with the code from the CSS Wizardry page so far.  I created the extra tabs, added them to the sheet worker and they work fine.  I added a class to the 2 new buttons I created to be able to hide and (hopefully) reveal them.  They hide just fine, but I'm not getting them to reveal at all.  I have a feeling I am overlooking something really simple...  Here is my current code: <div> <button type="action" name="act_character" >Character</button> <button type="action" class="confspells" name="act_spells" >Spells</button> <button type="action" class="confpsionics" name="act_psionics" >Psionics</button> <button type="action" name="act_journal" >Journal</button> <button type="action" name="act_configuration" >Configuration</button> </div> <input type='hidden' class='sheet-tabstoggle' name='attr_sheetTab' value='character' /> <div class='sheet-character'> <h2>Character</h2> <span>character Stuff Goes here </span> </div> <div class="sheet-spells"> <h2>Spells</h2> <span>Spell Stuff Goes Here</span> </div> <div class="sheet-psionics"> <h2>Psionics</h2> <span>Psionic Stuff Goes Here</span> </div> <div class='sheet-journal'> <h2>Journal/Notes</h2> <span>Journal/Notes Stuff Goes here</span> </div> <div class='sheet-config'> <h2>Config/Settings</h2> <input type="checkbox" class="showspells" name="attr_showspells" value="1" checked="true" /><span>Show Spells Tab</span> <input type="checkbox" class="showpsionics" name="attr_showpsionics" value="1" checked="true" /><span>Show Psionics Tab</span> </div> <script type="text/worker"> const buttonlist = ["character","spells","psionics","journal","configuration"]; buttonlist.forEach(button => { on(`clicked:${button}`, function() { setAttrs({ sheetTab: button }); }); }); </script> /*Configure the tab buttons*/ .sheet-character, .sheet-spells, .sheet-psionics, .sheet-config, .sheet-journal { display: none; } /* hide tab buttons */ .sheet-confspells, .sheet-confpsionics { display: none; } /* show the selected tab */ .sheet-tabstoggle[value="character"] ~ div.sheet-character, .sheet-tabstoggle[value="spells"] ~ div.sheet-spells, .sheet-tabstoggle[value="psionics"] ~ div.sheet-psionics, .sheet-tabstoggle[value="configuration"] ~ div.sheet-config, .sheet-tabstoggle[value="journal"] ~ div.sheet-journal { display: block; } /* reveal tab buttons */ input.showspells:[value="1"] ~ .sheet-confspells { display: inline; } input.showspionics:[value="1"] ~ .sheet-confpsionics { display: inline; } If I comment out the part that hides those 2 buttons, they show and work properly, so it is only the revealing bit that is incorrect (I hope).  What is my error?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You need to create hidden copies of the inputs (as well as the visible checkboxes), and put them up in the same div as your tabs. Something like this. <div> <input type="hidden" class="showspells" name="attr_showspells" value="1" /> <input type="hidden" class="showpsionics" name="attr_showpsionics" value="1" /> <button type="action" name="act_character" >Character</button> <button type="action" class="confspells" name="act_spells" >Spells</button> <button type="action" class="confpsionics" name="act_psionics" >Psionics</button> <button type="action" name="act_journal" >Journal</button> <button type="action" name="act_configuration" >Configuration</button> </div> Also your CSS for the switch needs a change:: /* reveal tab buttons */ input[value="1"].sheet-showspells ~ .sheet-confspells { display: inline; } input[value="1"].sheet-showpsionics ~ .sheet-confpsionics { display: inline; } Notice you made the classic blunder (which we've all done) of leaving the .sheet- part off these terms. But also the value part was in the wrong place. Regarding creating the extra hidden inputs: the CSS code above is expecting a specific positional relationship between the input's whose value is being checked, and the object to be hidden or displayed: they have to be at the same "level" in the CSS hierarchy. Hence creating invisible copies of the attributes at the right place.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I wouldn't have thought about the hidden inputs at all.  I tried various things with the css, but I don't think I ever had quite the correct combination there, and it wouldn't have worked even if I did without the html change.  Thanks! 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I spent several days at least struggling to figure out this solution back when I first had the same issue, and I'm happy to help others avoid that pain :) I also forgot to mention: notice I moved the classes from the checkboxes to the hidden inputs, Since those are the versions of the attributes that are relevant, they are the ones that need the CSS class.