Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

About Maps

Hey guys, I have been playing as a character in roll20 for a while and want to try my hand at GM.  I'm old school so I put a lot into the story and I don't have the time or inclination to spend an hour or more playing with a battle map.  So my question, if I buy a premade adventure, will all the maps be auto-populated, and linked up to the map content at the top?  I can delete monsters and insert my own, but I don't want to (for example) set up a 3 level ship and have to auto-populate cannons, and chests and ect....I'm just looking for a quick drop and play. I am not sure if buying a map pack will do this or if I need to buy an adventure or if I'm going to have to buckle down and make the maps. Thank you.
1582725047
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If it is just maps then the marketplace map packs are a great source. Lots of art without having to upload it against your own library. There are also some modular versions that are accessed as add-ons that you can enable in any game and have rollable tables/drag n drop journal entries to quickly build maps for play... some even have dynamic lighting built in (plus subscription required for DL). For a fully fleshed out adventure you'd be looking at modules, these are always fully realised adventures complete with maps, npcs, monsters, handouts and more to turn prep time into nap time. Of course with these you can also chop and change things around to suit, swap your own monsters in, move the maps around a bit, even scrap the actual story and just hijack the battle maps to suit your own diabolical story.
1582725133
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In summary, modules remove the need for any prep but will naturally restrict your creativity. Map packs can be bought and used to suit whatever whim you want but will require prep in terms of populating them to fit the story you are trying to tell.
Ah, so a module is what I'm looking for.  Thank you so much! Ziechael said: In summary, modules remove the need for any prep but will naturally restrict your creativity. Map packs can be bought and used to suit whatever whim you want but will require prep in terms of populating them to fit the story you are trying to tell.
1582726385
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Just remember that modules must be used as the basis of a game. They can not be added to an existing game. For that you are wanting to look at addons.
All my campains is made with this tools: <a href="https://www.maper-rpg.com/" rel="nofollow">https://www.maper-rpg.com/</a> Find it in map creation section on Wiki
1582730046

Edited 1582730716
Cool.&nbsp; I haven't started a game yet.&nbsp; Just prepping.&nbsp; I've searched and for the game I'm wanting to run, I think the curse of Strahd would be a good start.&nbsp; with 30 battle maps, I can switch out my own monsters.&nbsp; Since this is my first time, I don't want to be overwhelmed by building a map my players may only use once or twice.&nbsp;&nbsp; Pat S. said: Just remember that modules must be used as the basis of a game. They can not be added to an existing game. For that you are wanting to look at addons.
Pat S. said: Just remember that modules must be used as the basis of a game. They can not be added to an existing game. For that you are wanting to look at addons. However, you can buy a module, start a campaign with it, and transmogrify the maps from it into another campaign.
1582784487
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Patrick said: However, you can buy a module, start a campaign with it, and transmogrify the maps from it into another campaign. Yes you can but only if you are a pro subscriber which the OP is not so I did not mention this. Transmogrifier is a wonderful tool but it has limitations.