Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Completely new to Roll20 and D&D, looking to get started and need direction

1583179358

Edited 1583182918
So I've wanted to play D&D for a very long time, and there were things that prevented it but it never changed. Now that I'm able to do what I want, I want to get thrown into the fire. I know character creation isn't quick and simple, I have ideas in mind but I figure that is best to wait until after I've at least dipped my toes into the water. Getting my head wrapped around it all to start and then hopefully ending up at a point with a regular thing going with a group. So I'm free nights and weekends, US Central timezone, but need to know where would be a good place to start? The best way to put it is like a kid in a candyshop but I have no clue where to start. Regarding paid beginner stuff, feel free to pitch but I can't say yes/no without knowing what it is. As for the inevitable question "why Pro if completely new?" Because I can, and want to. EDIT: not too interested in DMing/GMing just playing to start
I'm happy to help you out getting the basics of D&D if you want, just as a regular Discord voicechat if you'd like.  Otherwise, post your application in any games on the Roll20 catalog! There are several beginner oriented games. I can help you out if you need some pointers and heads-ups too.
Hello Eden! Welcome to roll20! You definitely picked the right place for a virtual tabletop. I recommend being a player for a few games to learn some tricks of the trade before DMing yourself. Virtual tabletops require more preparation on the DM’s part but run far smoother / faster than regular tabletops with a prepared DM. Also, character creation is actually very simple once you know how to use the built in character sheets. Since you have a pro membership once you have a “generic” token preset with macros you can create playable characters in less than 10-20 minutes. In the menu tab there is a “join a game” button where you can set parameters such as time, title, system, etc to locate a game just for you. Be aware there are a shortage of DMs so you will see dozens of applications for a game that has six spots tops. My advice is don’t write a book for your backstory but show enough interest and pay attention to the campaign synopsis when applying. If you don’t get into some games just keep applying and don’t get discouraged. That’s for an ongoing campaign. If you’re looking for a one off game you shouldn’t have a problem getting into those (though may have to wait your turn as there are a few regular DMs who run weekly new player nights).&nbsp; Paid games should provide you with greater quality (through use of dungeon tiles, paid modules, dynamic lighting, music, and other “premium” content) and play consistency. Paid games are clearly labeled as such so make sure the price point matches what you’re looking for.&nbsp; I currently have spots open in a weekly paid Baldurs Gate Descent into Avernus game I’m starting this Tuesday 6:00-9:00 pm est. Cost is $6 per session with the first free. Character creation is done one on one prior to first session (time permitting). So I’ll be available tonight to showcase what you can get with the game and if you’re interested build a character. Tokens in my games have macros set up for your dice rolls so no roll20 experience is required. If you’re interested I have more information here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/192692/baldurs-gate-descent-into-avernus-tuesdays" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/192692/baldurs-gate-descent-into-avernus-tuesdays</a> Happy Hunting!
1583183365

Edited 1583183487
Thundertacos said: I'm happy to help you out getting the basics of D&amp;D if you want, just as a regular Discord voicechat if you'd like.&nbsp; Otherwise, post your application in any games on the Roll20 catalog! There are several beginner oriented games. I can help you out if you need some pointers and heads-ups too. That would be very nice, still learning navigating the site but I'll message you my Discord information.&nbsp; As for Mercenary, unfortunately that looks like it starts a couple of hours before the earliest I could be free and wouldn't want to delay or inconvenience others.
Eden you are welcome to join us over at The Guild Living Campaign.&nbsp; Its a group that uses discord and Roll20 to play 4e D&amp;D and several of our games works with your time zone.&nbsp; We provide all the materials needed for play and the game is free.&nbsp; If you have more questions feel free to message me on discord at PermanentDM#5146 or check the guild LFG entry
1583198922

Edited 1583199259
The best advice I can give a new player here is BE PATIENT and be open to games other than 5E. 5E games are very popular.&nbsp; You will notice pretty much any 5E game in a good time slot will often have upwards of 50 applicants or more.&nbsp; All competing for 4 to 6 slots.&nbsp; You probably won't get accepted into the first game you apply to, nor your second, third, or eighth.&nbsp; Applying to games is somewhat of an art and I'll go into that a bit more below.&nbsp; Keep in mind, for pretty much any game, the GM will most likely NOT let you know you didn't get picked.&nbsp; Only the selected candidates usually get contacted by a GM.&nbsp; Don't take this personally.&nbsp; It's usually just too much work a GM to send out 50 "Sorry" messages and they can't leave a general post in the LFG because it won't be visible as soon as the group is filled.&nbsp; On the other hand, there are a number of non-5E games out there you can cut your teeth on and get into relatively easily.&nbsp; There are a lot of fun systems out there now that are not D&amp;D so just explore the Join Game section if you want.&nbsp; Some tips: 1.&nbsp; Pay attention to the game ad or listing and make sure you answer any questions the GM raises in there.&nbsp; If there's an application, be sure to answer all the questions.&nbsp; You don't need to write an essay but make sure the GM can get a feel for you as a player based on your responses.&nbsp; Good GMs don't take players first come, first serve.&nbsp; They're usually more interested in your characteristics as a player rather than your proposed character.&nbsp; 2.&nbsp; It's okay to apply to multiple games at once.&nbsp; 3.&nbsp; Don't get discouraged if you never hear from a GM about your application.&nbsp; Some people will let you know you didn't make it but most will just contact the people they are interested in selecting. 4.&nbsp; Pay attention to other players' applications and see what you can learn from them.&nbsp; If the GM has already picked some players for the game, see if you can find their applications in the listing and look for the things that seem to set them apart from the rest of the crowd.&nbsp; Learn from them what makes an application successful as you browse the game listings. 5.&nbsp; Look for GMs who seem to be picky about who they choose.&nbsp; This tends to make for a better game experience if you get in. 6.&nbsp; If you're anxious to get started ASAP, pay to play is an option.&nbsp; You can find those games in the game listings and here in the forum.&nbsp; There's usually little to no application process as long as you have the cash.&nbsp; In my experience, game quality is usually good but no better really than most responsible free GMs here.&nbsp; It's main advantage is being easy to get into one. 7.&nbsp; Don't give up.&nbsp; Don't get discouraged if your first games fall apart or aren't good.&nbsp; It can take a little while but eventually you will find the right games for you.&nbsp; 8.&nbsp; When using the Group Finder, don't tick off the Welcomes New Players Only box.&nbsp; A lot of people forget to set this when they list their game and fully 95% of GMs are open to new players as long as you're willing to make an effort to learn.&nbsp; Do tick off the Mature Content box.&nbsp; This isn't for ERP or erotic games.&nbsp; It typically means the game may not be suitable for young folks or people with highly sensitive ears.&nbsp; Adult language is expected, the game may touch on "adult" topics like drinking, drugs, etc.&nbsp; It's also commonly used in horror setting games because of depictions of graphic violence, etc.
Thank you Jesse, I figured I'd need to be patient to find a group to potentially make a regular thing with, and I'm not opposed to paid content to at least get some experience, plus there's always the possibility of things just clicking and it sticking. One thing I'm trying to figure out the most is coming in with character creation, I've noticed some have a session to create the characters all together, but some don't say anything and I figure those ones expect players to already have characters created. Is it something that's usually different with everyone, or is there a way that is pretty common that a majority of GMs use? What I mean by this is like advancement type, encumberance, races that are/aren't allowed, rolling for stats/point buy, etc... Obviously the backstory is important, and that is the one area I have confidence but not knowing which way is best gives me pause on that.
Depends on the group honestly.&nbsp; In our campaign character creation is individual and we have a lot of DMs on hand to help out if you need stuff (as well as a video and written walkthrough and resources to help out).&nbsp; Those types of things vary a ton based on the game.
Basically, you'll never roll up to an LFG with a fully created character.&nbsp; Yes, have an idea of what race/class/backstory you want to play but as far as putting together the character sheet, that's something you'll do after getting accepted to a game.&nbsp; Some games have a Session Zero, where everyone meets and the GM goes over character creation rules, players talk about what they're thinking about, etc. so everyone gets a good feel for the group will look like and coordinate stuff like backstories if they want.&nbsp; If the group doesn't do a Session Zero (this is more common), once the GM has selected the players they'll give you instructions on character creation such as what source materials are okay, whether you'll point buy, roll for stats, etc.&nbsp; Once you get invited to join a game, you will most likely also be joining a Discord server for voice chat and text.&nbsp; The virtual tabletop part of Roll20 is awesome but pretty much no one uses the built in Roll20 voice/video chat because, well, it basically sucks.&nbsp; It has a lot of issues managing to connect all the players to voice chat, for instance, and doesn't support any basic features like individual player volume control or push to talk.&nbsp; Character creation details will usually be handled in Discord or possibly a post in the game's private player section.
Thank you for making the thread I wanted to make, but couldn’t find the words to write. I thought finding a game IRL was hard, but online has proved to be a little bit harder than I thought it would be.
So like as a beginner with zero experience, how much knowledge of source material would most DMs expect me to have in terms of character creation? I have some ideas for a character but have no clue if it would fit in in-world
Nnoqs said: Thank you for making the thread I wanted to make, but couldn’t find the words to write. I thought finding a game IRL was hard, but online has proved to be a little bit harder than I thought it would be. Depends on what you are looking for.&nbsp; The more specific you are, the less willing to take chances, pay money and get denied the harder it is.&nbsp; Granted several of those things are legit hard to do, so not blaming you for it, but it is what it is.&nbsp; I help run a community that has ~20 DMs that run games and it accepts basically anyone who wants to join and there are a lot of communities like that, but that style isn't for everyone.&nbsp; But the recommendation that people join one of those to meet people they will want to play other games with is also a tough sell.&nbsp; "You want a game, here spend an hour each applying to these 30 games or join this one big game in a style that may not be your cup of tea and play for 30 hours to meet people to play in a group with."&nbsp; My game is always open to you (as are many like it in a variety of systems) but that is all I can offer. Tamsah Abyad said: So like as a beginner with zero experience, how much knowledge of source material would most DMs expect me to have in terms of character creation? I have some ideas for a character but have no clue if it would fit in in-world Depends wildly on the DM and the game.&nbsp; In the most ideal of situations the DM would let you know in advance on the listing what they expect from the players.&nbsp; Most games are open to new players, but want to see the players put forth some effort.&nbsp; Reading the book, vaguely having an idea of what you want to play and being able to respond to questionnaires etc is not uncommon.&nbsp; Again I'll use my group as an example.&nbsp; We don't expect anyone to know anything going on and we have a ton of resources to bring people up to speed (a video walkthrough, a 24/7 chat for questions, downloads for everything you need to play, FAQs and forum guides etc), but we ask that people try to figure some stuff out and guess/make attempts at getting their character done.&nbsp; For some people that is how they like to do things (make a glorious mess of it, then we can course correct into something that works) but for others taking that first step is scary and the amount of resources offered look more intimidating than helpful. Basically I say all of that to say Your Mileage May Vary, but generally speaking DMs want some variation of 'the player is attempting to engage with the content' more than 'the player has X number of years of exp or fits into my game in Y number of ways'. Hope this helps.
1583292041

Edited 1583303269
Hi Eden, are you free on the weekends on Sunday around 1 PM your time, my friend and me are starting to look for people for a new 5E D&amp;D game, we will start with a session 0 which is getting to know each other, what everyone is looking to play and building the characters. If people mix well together we'll begin the game the following week, if they don't we'll start with a one shot as long as three people are able till we get 5-6. Me or him will be the GM, but more than likely me. Let me know if this works for you, there are other people we are looking at but we don't do first comes first serve.