Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

When we copy a game room it should keep the settings from the original game room, please!

Score + 48

Edited 1584728378
Alex
Pro
When you copy a roll20 game, all of the settings are reverted to default. It's incredibly frustrating! I can't speak for other systems, but Pathfinder and Starfinder Society players do a LOT of copying, either making new copies of a game so we can run it again, or making a copy of a template so we can build a new game with a lot of the basic setup already done. I have to go through the same old rigmarole every. single. time. I make a copy of one of my templates or copy a game, and with me organizing a convention online all of a sudden it's WAY MORE PAINFUL. Please consider letting settings persist when you copy a game! These are my particular pain points, but I'm sure there are others: Import characters setting Map dimensions setting Default distance rules Default map fog of war/lighting settings Default token settings (permissions, vision) And please stop re-adding the default token markers to rooms that already have another token marker pack (or more?)
I 100% agree with this. The most common situation where this comes up is online organized play for systems (Adventure League, Pathfinder/Starfinder Society) where you have GMs being very kind and copying over tables for someone else to run, alleviating some of the work and preparation a GM needs to do. These seem like they could be small quality of life improvements for the site.
And for those of us who are new, it can be incredibly frustrating if we don't even know to expect it. 
Upvote
Upvote
Yes please!!!
100% Agree
Oh, one other thing I forgot about: the audio setting(s) that can only be set inside  the game room. It would be nice if that persisted as well...
Size of avatars/display names only.
Upvote
Upvote
pawprint
Yes!
I agree.  We have had objects and inheritance for decades.  I often prep using a base game that I then copy for each instance I'd run.  Having the ability for the copy to inherit the configurable settings from the base would make it much easier to spin up a new game on short notice. 
Would love all of this, in addition to copying all API scripts from the source game.
Changing all the default settings and having to re-add API scripts is the bane of my Roll20 existence.
Honestly one of the reasons I have cancelled my pro subscription  is because some of these things are just so unfriendly for GM's. Why do I need to set-up all my tables once again? I dont want to have to change my defaults over and over again. I don't want to have to forget I didn't turn on the allow player imports. I dont want to spend 10 minutes copying and pasting API scripts, setting variables, etc for every one-shot I run.  And then there was foundry, that all I need to do is copy the world, change the world name in a file and I'm good to go. It's that easy (as it should be!)  I'm no longer going to be putting money into roll20 because it just seems like the system is fighting me for such simple things. Please, work with your customers, not against them. 
Yeah, the more games I run the more frustrating this is. It is particularly bad if I am copying a table in a hurry to meet an urgent need or because life is being life. Also, there are times I am absolutely certain that I have made the change to import characters and it didn't take. Again, this is probably from rushing and not hitting save at the appropriate time so I have learned to slow down. But I would really like a way to set my copy table defaults and only override or change them when necessary. It is particularly annoying that one game system overrides all others. If I set my maps so they measure for Pathfinder/Starfinder why would I want that to default back to D&D? Please, please consider giving us more agency.