Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Player Token Movement Restrictions

Edited 1585664619
I've seen movement come up as issues here now and again and Roll 20 has taken strides to address a lot of issues. There are still some issues I find slightly frustrating, and in my ignorance, I think it could be addressed with small effort. Problem:  Players often move in an unbalanced way. During several events, some players move 8 spaces, while others play honest and don't move. Some such events include seeing something of interest, like a chest, or even dynamic lighting reveals an enemy. When players see an enemy some dash to cover. Or during 'combat phase' there is nothing stopping players from moving extra spaces. I do catch some but I would think with this system, it should be easy to implement. Recommend:  A 'button' to switch between 'free movement' / 'restricted movement'.  'Free movement' operates as now.  'Restricted movement' allows x ft. of movement per turn. (X would be assigned in token tab based on character, i.e. size or heavy armor). Each player would have some visual representation of a fuel gauge, so they know when they are out of movement. Once everyone has moved (a round through the initiative tracker) the DM can hit a 'reset movement points' to repeat the cycle.  The DM should be the only person that can pick up a token and move when 'restricted movement' is in place (this would allow redos if people accidentally went someplace they didn't want to, i.e. the lava pit).
Exactly, or I find when the players move their tokens around freely, I need to say "stop" you just hit a trap. If there was a movement budget they can spend points before a reset there would be more consideration as to where they are moving their token and the permanency of their decision. Like taking your hand off of a chess piece to complete your move.  
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .