Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Best voice/chat app to use?

Hello, community! I have been going back and forth with what communication software to use. I've been using Discord lately, and I was using Skype in the past. We used google hangouts last week.  Google Hangouts worked fine and had minimal dropouts. Discord always has dropouts and terrible audio quality, even when I change servers. I like how discord works, but the quality is a big turn off to me. Has anyone tried Zoom? Does anyone have suggestions for other software? Thanks!
We've always had the best luck with Google Hangouts. Turning off the video will make a big difference if you're playing at peak times, or if the internet is dodgy.
Chris said: We've always had the best luck with Google Hangouts. Turning off the video will make a big difference if you're playing at peak times, or if the internet is dodgy. Thanks! I've been sitting here watching youtube videos and such trying to find the best option. So far Google Hangouts is winning. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
2nd Google Hangouts. I've tried all the options and it is most consistent and accessible. Discord has been awful lately, especially on the weekends. I do miss all the tech chat channels it provides. I used Zoom for one game and it was acceptable, but Hangouts is just easier to use for non-tech people. 
I would'nt recommend zoom but I would definitely give Google Hangouts a try.
Console Cowboy said: 2nd Google Hangouts. I've tried all the options and it is most consistent and accessible. Discord has been awful lately, especially on the weekends. I do miss all the tech chat channels it provides. I used Zoom for one game and it was acceptable, but Hangouts is just easier to use for non-tech people.  Thanks! depression said: I would'nt recommend zoom but I would definitely give Google Hangouts a try. I've considered Zoom, but I would want the paid version and that isn't in the budget right now. If it was a little cheaper I would probably try it. Thanks for your input.

Edited 1586055854
From both a streamer and a techie. Zoom with its paid sub is the best voice video program out there.The encoder for voice and video are top of the line, but because it is made specifically for the enterprise market it lacks some features you might want like a proper push to talk function (it has one but its not configurable to different buttons). In saying that a new update just released a bunch of quality of life features like noise gate, suppression and echo cancellation. Discord is good, but I know it has some issues with quality and drop outs. But it is also the most commonly accessible and feature packed. The encoding is sub par leading to lower end users suffering from latency issues. But again its also free and simple to use. Its built more towards gamers. Hangouts in my experience is great for phones and tablets and It works best when using 4g cell coverage. It is also made for the business market so its feature package is based around functioning with groups of people. But its encoder make voice sound horrible and video can be laggy leading to sync issues. I honestly don't even both with Skype. Its not on the radar. The biggest thing to take away is that due to the increase of users on all applications its going to mean their is problems and most the time its going to be server related or end user. Free options are going to suffer the most, but in the end they are free, so its like looking a gift horse in the mouth if you are going to complain.
Vegemite Dangerous said: From both a streamer and a techie. Zoom with its paid sub is the best voice video program out there.The encoder for voice and video are top of the line, but because it is made specifically for the enterprise market it lacks some features you might want like a proper push to talk function (it has one but its not configurable to different buttons). In saying that a new update just released a bunch of quality of life features like noise gate, suppression and echo cancellation. Discord is good, but I know it has some issues with quality and drop outs. But it is also the most commonly accessible and feature packed. The encoding is sub par leading to lower end users suffering from latency issues. But again its also free and simple to use. Its built more towards gamers. Hangouts in my experience is great for phones and tablets and It works best when using 4g cell coverage. It is also made for the business market so its feature package is based around functioning with groups of people. But its encoder make voice sound horrible and video can be laggy leading to sync issues. I honestly don't even both with Skype. Its not on the radar. The biggest thing to take away is that due to the increase of users on all applications its going to mean their is problems and most the time its going to be server related or end user. Free options are going to suffer the most, but in the end they are free, so its like looking a gift horse in the mouth if you are going to complain. Thanks for the detailed feedback. I appreciate it.