Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

How do assets in the art library work

I'm a bit confused about how they work.  It seems that when you create a character in the journal and attach a token to it, the file in art library is no longer needed because it's attached to the character now.  I've tested that part and it seems to work.  I assumed the same for other things such as maps and deleted the maps from the art library and now some of my placed maps are blurry and some are not.  Is there a reason some would do this and some wouldn't if all were deleted from the art library?  Maybe some sort of system caching or something? As a side note, a way to change and add to the art library outside of the game would be nice.
So I realized that the tokens are removed from the character sheet but still show up on the map so they are likely still needed in the art library. That still leaves the question of why a map would show as not blurry if the art asset was deleted.  I guess it's likely a glitch or caching, but want another opinion
1586086536
Gold
Forum Champion
hi mark, yes cache is why you still see them (for a while before it becomes maybe broken image). No, don't delete anything from your Art Library unless it's completely out-of-use, and since you're PRO do you even need to delete? You have a good amount of space on Pro. 
1586087286
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The art assets in your library are the true art assets. When you add it to a toke, or card deck, or use as a map, those are in essence just references: they aren't the real form of the art. This allows you to use the same piece of art multiple times for different purposes, while only having one real copy in your library - thus keeping the file size down. If you delete a file from the art library, it gets deleted everywhere that references it. It may not happen immediately, because of browser caching, but it will vanish eventually. So as Gold says, never delete a file from your library unless you know you aren't using it anywhere.
Okay that makes sense.  I was just trying to clear up my files because of OCD and the caching made me believe they weren't needed.  Now I know.
1586102787
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can organize your Art Library into folders. I recently did this to satisfy my own obsessive need for order. It takes a while, but it's worth it. If you decide to do it, take a look at Folder View . Much easier to drag multiple selections.
I stumbled on Folder View by accident, and while not the best solution, it is usable enough to get things accomplished.