Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Utter newby seeking beginner group, preferably text based

I've been curious about trying out D&D, but never really got around to it. Now with the lockdown going on I thought I'd give it a try online. I'm obviously an utter newby at tabletop RPG's, so I'd need help there. As well as with how roll20 and the like work in general. Though I do at least have some experience with the general concepts through some of the more tabletop-ish videogames & have done some basic roleplaying online here and there.  Are there any groups where I could fit in that are willing to take me? It should also be noted I currently don't own a rulebook yet, as I'd like to actually try out the game before buying all the necesary books (I have yet to find a "cheap" starter edition...) But I'd assume the internet will have some sources available. But some help here would be appreciated. Other than that I'd prefer it if it could be text based. Starting a new thing is awkward enough without having to worry about talking. And I know I can at least roleplay to some extend in text.Though if given no other choice I'l try actually talking. As for timezones, I'm in GMT+2 (netherlands, france, spain etc.) and I'd prefer to play in the evenings. Given the current state of the world and the lockdowns the specific day doesn't matter too much, though once all of this lifts and we can go outside again I'd prefer if it isn't on tuesday or thursday. Aside from that I'm fairly flexible.
You can find the free D&D 5e basic rules from the Wizards of the Coast website
well that's definitly a start, hadn't found any legitimate free versions yet.