Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Provide a Safety Card deck - with X Card - as a standard inclusion.

(Sorry if this suggestion already listed?  The only previous one I could find was 4 years old.) There's a standard playing card deck, but there is a need for safety tools such as safety cards (X, N, O) for example, to be available in every game room also.  Ideally these would always be available to the player - permanently selected - but the player could choose to hide them if they chose. 3-4 cards, say a card back and the three cards could be provided, large enough that they can be dropped on the VTT or "played" as cards.  The advantage this offers is that they can be played anonymously if desired and can also be played irrespective of the source(s) of the objectionable material.  (i.e. it doesn't matter if it's another player or the GM). Making such tools an automatic inclusion sends a strong message about everyone feeling safe and included and free to accept, warn or opt out of material which makes them uncomfortable. It's a good thing to have there if a GM or player needs it, and having visible reminders to be excellent to one another is never a bad thing.  GMs have enough to remember, so a reminder for the table is an opportunity to have a conversation or at least check in with everyone that they understand what safety tools are for and how to use them and what other options (e.g /w) might be available. There are lots of card graphics out there, I've been playing around with inserting these into the games in our local group as concept demonstrator.  They could definitely be improved. It would be nice to see a visible message that Roll20 and its community care about player safety and hope they comprise a tool that's rarely used but readily accessible when needed.  

Edited 1586447723
Thanks for readdressing this topic, Michael Balin! Lots of us probably need a refresher, and I'd love for us to start sharing our strategies and experiences using these types of tools on Roll20. It'd be even better if Roll20 integrated options for safety tool directly into their interface, like you said!   I love using the  TTRPG Safety Toolkit  (created by Kienna Shaw ) to make sure my players' expectations for game play are set and acknowledged so we can all have a great experience. I always share the link (bit.ly/ttrpgsafetytoolkit) to the toolkit with my players between Session 0 and Session 1, so we can all be on the same page.  Right now, I'm running a Call of Cthulhu 7e  campaign, and since game play can get pretty crazy, I made sure to have a conversation about Lines and Veils first, so we could all discuss what we wanted to exclude from game play or story (implied, contextual, etc.). For our Roll20 games, I made a few of safety cards on a free graphic design program ( Canva ) that my players could use anonymously to help us communicate what's going on inside everyone's heads. They can just click the "Choose" option on the deck that appears on the tabletop, and select the card they want to play. Make sure you've selected all the permissions that allow your players to access the decks and play the cards, and select the infinite deck option. Also, the cards only appear directly on the map that the players can see and drag them to, so if I'm looking at a different map at that moment, usually the other players will react and say something so I know what got played.  Here are two sets of the cards/card backs I made.  Feel free to use them ! Or go ahead and make your own! :D  Bright Colors Set   Easily visible on the tabletop/map, even dark ones. This is fun for younger players, helping them instantly engage with safety behaviors and help each other.   1920s Cthulhu Themed Set: A little less bold, but my adult players like using them more often because of they fit with the theme of our game; it makes them feel less self-conscious, I think. There are more safety tools than just these cards, so please check out that awesome toolkit Kienna put together. :) 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .