Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Currency - Is it going to be cheaper during current global financial crisis of Corona-virus?

Hi, so I've needed to transfer my D&D 5e homebrew campaign with roughly 10 players from face-to-face play to online playing. Been looking for an alternative and heard that Roll20 is really good *bang for your buck*. The trouble I have is that I live in Australia, and going from the general consensus, when a site does not specify if it's based in AUS or not, it is usually USD. This means, instead of the "close to" $100 for the yearly subscription for Pro Account, it is over $160. As many other people will be in a similar boat to what I am, will the prices be adjusted for countries who are suffering from a massive financial crisis due to the global pandemic, or some sort of leeway or something for new groups online?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You don't need to subscribe above a Free account to use Roll20 go get your game online.  All of the things you get for a Plus or Pro subscription are enhancements, but are completely unnecessary to duplicate the experience of gathering around a physical table. Some of the things you get from subscribing, and the alternatives: Plus/Pro - Dynamic Lighting: Dynamic Lighting just lets your tokens have sight and reveal the area around them as the move.  Really neat.  However, on Free, you have Fog of War, which you can use to obscure the entire map and reveal it as players are permitted to see new areas. Pro - API Access:  The API is great at automating thing, but there is nothing it can do that you can't do yourself manually.  Things it might help with are configuring big groups of tokens, managing dice mechanics calculations, and highlighting things on the map.  On free, you would need to manually configure tokens (not so bad), you'd need to apply whatever formulas to raw dice rolls, or roll physical dice, and provide your own highlighting of things (pinging, moving a graphic, etc) Pro - Transmogrifier: Lets you move maps from one Game you've created to another Game you've created.  Super great for running multiple games with shared content.  On Free, you'd need to either recreate the content or create a Copy of a Game to play in. I'd highly recommend just getting on a Free account and playing around, and see if you even need the advanced features.
Good advice Aaron. Alternatively, just go with the Plus subscription monthly, that's what I did. I didn't want to pay for the entire year because honestly, I don't know how long we will be playing remotely for. Dynamic lighting is well worth the Plus cost, imho, so pay for a month, which isn't gonna break the bank, even in Australia, and play a few games with it. All the players need is the free subscription.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
True.&nbsp; Players are also often willing to chip in on a subscription (Your gift link is:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/gift/forid/6046201" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/gift/forid/6046201</a> ), you might tell your players if they think it's worth it and want to contribute they can do it there.&nbsp; Note, that's for subscriptions, gifting marketplace items is a completely different system.
As has been stated before here, the plus/pro benefits are nice to have, but not necessary. I have even started to find a few of them a bit distracting from the immersion. (tip is to use either a world map or a background picture for every situation that doesn't actually require keeping track of character movements).&nbsp; That said, a free trial period-campaign for new users isn't unreasonable. Lots of other services (online or not) have campaigns where you can try their stuff for free for a while. ...especially i situations when there are lots of new potential customers choosing between their service and others (HINT HINT).
I've just been going through their subscription options and was confused regarding the limit (if there is any) of players in a single session for Roll20. In the free user account, can I host 10+ users in a single game?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ben F. said: I've just been going through their subscription options and was confused regarding the limit (if there is any) of players in a single session for Roll20. In the free user account, can I host 10+ users in a single game? As far as I know, the only limit is practical (how many can log on before lag becomes too great or something breaks).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jens F. said: (tip is to use either a world map or a background picture for every situation that doesn't actually require keeping track of character movements).&nbsp; This. This is a tip I fully endorse. Similarly, if you do have a combat map set up, try not to use it until the magic words "Roll for Initiative" are actually said. Going to a map too early kills the role play because players know &nbsp;the game is about to switch modes. They start getting suspicious, and instead of telling campfire stories start beating the brush for bandits.