Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Converting D&D5e modules to another ruleset

I've found a few posts about converting other systems to 5e, but anyone had success or suggestions with converting 5e to something else? I'm running an AD&D2e campaign, but one of the 5e modules would be a good fit for my story arc, so I'm considering it, but curious if anyone else has done it and how much work it is? Thank in advance!
I have more or less the same question. I'm running an AD&Dish homebrew (heavily modified DCC, to be precise) and would like to use "The Sunless Citadel" . I have the module on my shelf and could scan the maps, hold up the artwork to the camera etc., so I am wondering: Is it worth the $5 purchase? Right now, I'm still a Roll20 newbie with only a free account and two sessions under my belt, so I don't really know what specialized Roll20 content can do for me.

Edited 1586459411
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Other than having to convert (aka manually inputting) the monsters and some of the written mechanics, it is not that bad. I've converted 5e to Basic Fantasy RPG and right now working on integrating some Pathfinder modules into a BFRPG homebrewed world.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
$5 is pretty minimal. For that your campaign is ready to go. Maps, token art, tokens in place (even though you would be using your own rule set), etc. You would need to subscribe to get Dynamic Lighting, but Regular Fog of War is pretty safe and easy.
Thank you for the information. I'm intrigued! Allow me to make sure that I've understood you correctly: Does this mean that (all?) add-ons like "The Sunless Citadel" are already fully configured for dynamic lighting and have enemies pre-placed in rooms? That sounds like fun and a huge time-saver, respectively... What about secret doors and traps? (And thank you for taking the time to answer these basic questions. The answers are no doubt already out there but all the information and features are a bit overwhelming.)

Edited 1586468451
Pretty much all of it is included. Note that while Dynamic Lighting is set up, it will not function unless the game's creator has an active Plus or Pro subscription. EDIT: Some older products might not have Dynamic Lighting support; best to read the complete Marketplace descriptions.

Edited 1586468479
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes, but to address the concerns of this thread, the WotC modules are preset to use 5e rules and statblocks. You would still need to adapt to your ruleset. A typical module contains: All text from the print edition All maps from the print edition, each to scale on their own pages. These would be pre-set for Dynamic Lighting, though you still need the appropriate subscription level to use the feature. Should you decide to subscribe later, the DL lines and objects are all there already; you just won't be able to see or use them until then. So long as this is possible, player-visible maps will not contain markings for secret doors and traps. All monsters from the module, placed where the module indicates. All monsters have statblocks and where so long as art is available in the module (or in the case of WotC, the Monster Manual, Xanathar's etc., wherever they first appeared) they will have art and appropriate token faces (portrait-style) All Access on the Character Vault, so that characters may be built elsewhere and ported into the game. General organization conducive to playing on Roll20 (cross-indexing of handouts and so forth). I have run the Sunless Citadel on Roll20, and it was extremely easy to use.
Thanks for the responses, after discovering that modules have to run as stand-alone games, I've tabled my purchase until I can make the 2e stuff I've inputted into my current game more portable, that process starts after tonight's session. Happy Gaming!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Which module is it? Some of the shorter ones (such as Sunless Citadel, above) are actually addons, and can be added to an existing game.
keithcurtis said: Which module is it? Some of the shorter ones (such as Sunless Citadel, above) are actually addons, and can be added to an existing game. Dragon hesit
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, yeah. That's one's an odd duck, a hybrid. Lower levels are a module, and you choose the season as an addon for the second half.
When you buy a 5e module, it is used to create a game with the 5e charactersheet and the monsters are configured with that 5e charactersheet too. If you want to run player characters with a different charactersheet, eg. AD&D2e, I’m not sure if you can do that, or what would happen to the monster sheets.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Mick H. said: When you buy a 5e module, it is used to create a game with the 5e charactersheet and the monsters are configured with that 5e charactersheet too. If you want to run player characters with a different charactersheet, eg. AD&D2e, I’m not sure if you can do that, or what would happen to the monster sheets. When you create a game from a module and use a different sheet, everything is there including all the sheet attributes but unless the sheet you wants to use has the same attribute names, the sheet will not be filled out but it will have all the attributes listed in the sheet's attribute tab. You can remove all the attributes before filling out the sheet for your specific system. It takes some work but not as much as doing everything.
Pat S. said: Mick H. said: When you buy a 5e module, it is used to create a game with the 5e charactersheet and the monsters are configured with that 5e charactersheet too. If you want to run player characters with a different charactersheet, eg. AD&D2e, I’m not sure if you can do that, or what would happen to the monster sheets. When you create a game from a module and use a different sheet, everything is there including all the sheet attributes but unless the sheet you wants to use has the same attribute names, the sheet will not be filled out but it will have all the attributes listed in the sheet's attribute tab. You can remove all the attributes before filling out the sheet for your specific system. It takes some work but not as much as doing everything. Yea, when I do this I'll have to manually update monster/NPC stats. Not a big deal.