Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tokens Vanished

Just had an interesting bug happen. Logged into my game this morning and found several tokens on one page just gone. My green hag, my ankheg, and one of my PC's tokens just disappeared. Possibly others as well. I refreshed the page-- no change. Signed out and back in, no change. Restarted chrome-- no change. Wondering if this has happened to other people and this is just the first time for me or if this is a new bug.
This has also happened for me - goblins disappeared from our battle map, but my players can see it!  I can't, but they can.  And when I drag new goblin tokens to the page, they show for my players but not for me.  It's on the token layer, I should be able to see them.  I'm assuming it's related to the update that came out today.
Same here, one of my player tokens and it's related image won't display. Quite a strange bug in my opinion. Was fine up until today when I was working on some more set up for the game I have planned. Hopefully this can be changed soon! 
Same I have some players that can see tokens when other's can not very weird and super frustrating.
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
Happening to me, too - specifically the player tokens are hidden, with a "could not load image" error in the javascript console. All players can see them, but as the GM I can't. My view: Player view:
Quinn said: Happening to me, too - specifically the player tokens are hidden, with a "could not load image" error in the javascript console. All players can see them, but as the GM I can't. My view: Player view: Hopefully this gets resolved had this happen alot today.

Edited 1586496936
Chiming in that our game is having this issue as well. I checked all the things that could go wrong but one of my characters vanished for me mid-game! Talk about annoying. We have one player that can see all of them, one player that can see some of them (me) and one player that can basically see none of them.  Me, who can see some, and player that can't see any of them are on the same wifi but different computers. All three of us are GMs, I am the game creator and even as a player our "can hardly see any of them" can't see the tokens. Edit: 8 hours later and issue persists.
Ours vanished while switching maps today. GM could see them, we could not. We confirmed that all of them were on the token layer, reconnected, tried new browsers...nothing.
I have the same issue (GM), some of my players cannot see some tokens I can see and I cannot see others.
We had this issue and had success with changing browsers (going from Safari to Chrome)

Edited 1586485267
MaroC
Plus
Me and my group are experiencing this at the moment. Tried refreshing, switching browsers, rebooting PCs. Some of the players can see most of the tokens, some about half of them, one can barely see any at all. Very confusing issue, not sure what to do :/ Edit: Problem seems to have been fixed along with some of the other connectivity issues!

Edited 1586493548
The issue is persistent for me, but only on Chrome. For example, below are two screenshots. The first screenshot (Top) is on Edge, second screenshot (Bottom) is on Chrome. It sucks that I may not be able to us Roll20 on Chrome anymore, but at least I have edge on a backup. It's just weird how the problem is browser specific, it seems.
keep happening to mee too. The info on the turn order are saved but the token is invisible.. two days ago same story, i do the token again, yestorday i log in and the missing token were there.. today again two token are vanished, how can fix this? sure i never pay the premium if there are issues like this..
The problem is indeed browser specific. I typically use Safari on Mac, and for 12.1 several tokens have just mysteriously vanished (aka, do not display).  Loading the same campaign up in Opera displays everything as it should without issues.  Considering everything was fine in Safari last week, they must have tweaked something on the back end. A poor time to be doing such things as many of us have been forced to move our in-person tabletop games to Roll20 temporarily.  
We had a player last night whose token kept disappearing from the map.  I was convinced he kept hitting DELETE or something.   If it matters, he was the only one on a Mac.   

Edited 1586532616
I'm having the same issue, random tokens just disappearing for me (DM). I am on Windows and using Chrome. I experience the same issues on Edge. I AM able to see the tokens on Firefox.
same her.  Where can we report this bug?
Hey folks -&nbsp; If you're still experiencing troubles here, would you mind trying to clear your cache, reload your game, and let me know the results, please? There is a chance your browser may have cached some bad server data we had last night. Thank you for your patience! Directions for doing so can be found below: Chrome:&nbsp; <a href="https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en" rel="nofollow">https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en</a> Firefox:&nbsp; <a href="https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache" rel="nofollow">https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache</a>
I used Firefox to remove the tokens i couldn't see and recreated them. I can now see them on Chrome. Will clear cache and post again if problem persists. Checking the logs, it was having issues loading the image from an amazon webserver before, and thus wouldn't render the token.
Cleared cache data, reloaded the page. It didn't seem to fix anything. The tokens weren't reloaded properly on the page, so I ended up replacing them from my library with new tokens and just gave them their stats again.
@kai g be careful with that, you will wind up with duplicates everywhere like I had haha
@Nicholas, it seems like that fixed it for me. The problem characters are all back (all of them, there were about twenty tokens on the map). Thank you, now we can finish our big bad guy introduction scene! Thank you much, I am sure you guys are swamped with people playing because of being quarantined but thank you for the quick fix regardless!
Hi there, First, I'm really glad I found this thread, because I am new to roll20 and thought I was just doing something wrong. I switched from Chrome to Firefox and it works fine now.&nbsp; But, I am not sure if this helps, but I discovered that there is, I think, a linked problem. In Chrome, while I was unable to see several tokens that were definitely there in Firefox, I also could not ADD certain tokens to the map. The tokens in particular that I could not add were all tokens that were being used as character tokens. So for example, I use the "Knight" token in the free assets as the token for one of our PCs. I could not add that token to the map. But I could add other tokens that were not character tokens, and see them, with no problem. And that was true for all the tokens I am using as character tokens - if they are linked with characters, I can't add them. If they are not, no problem. Once switching to Firefox, I can add all tokens to the map as normal. Anyway, I hope that helps you guys figure out what's going on!

Edited 1586649907
Having the same issue in my group, Everyone can see different tokens super inconsistent.
Had the same issue, as Jay M says, it seems that certain tokens linked to character sheets do not appear correctly when placed on the scene. I tried placing the tokens on all four layers to the same effect, they dissapear when placed, so i remade all of the tokens, deleting and reattching the stat sheets and the token, same thing. I was using chrome to do all this. Swapped to firefox and loaded up the game, and all the tokens i placed in chrome were there present across all four layers, also with the new lighting system enabled, firefox seems to run noticably smoother than chrome. Perhaps the update did something chrome doesn't like? Can confirm after testing for a good while that firefox has none of then copy/paste token issues that chrome does.
We ran into this issue too. The way we fixed it was making the GM Upload our token/avatar to his asset library. I am not sure if we got lucky or if it is a coincidence, but this fixed it on chrome.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Same here. Half of my players could not see their drow enemies. Restarting browser did not fix, but switching browsers worked for one player. I wound up assigning new token art to the drow. Didn't try deleting cache because some of my players are techno-challenged and I didn't want to break the action any more than I had to. Also lost the API sandbox at least three times. Frustrating, but nothing insurmountable, and I understand that there are a lot of tech issues to deal with at the moment.
This happened to me as the GM yesterday in our weekly game. I couldn't see half of the tokens but my players could. I couldn't see new tokens I added either although the players could. I tired new browsers (started on chrome, then Firefox and even Microsoft Edge), clearing cache, restarting pc, clearing cookies and all browser data. Eventually solved it by logging in from another PC, what a mess. I am really hoping that there will be a fix soon.
Hi everyone, From the posts above, it looks like the clearing browser cache is working for some but not others. I'm escalating this to our Devs and I'll need some console logs, from the moment you logged into the page through when you encountered the issue . If you can provide me with those, it makes it easier for the team to investigate the underlying issue. A console log is a listing of the activity that Roll20 is doing while you play, so we can spot anything that deviates from the norm. Follow the instructions below to open your log, then just copy and paste everything into your bug report forum post in the Bug Reports section of the forums and we will aid you further. In Google Chrome Use the keyboard shortcut: Command - Option - J (Mac) or Control -Shift -J (Windows/Linux). If that doesn't work, follow these instructions: <a href="https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/docs/console#opening_the_console" rel="nofollow">https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/docs/console#opening_the_console</a> In Mozilla Firefox Use the keyboard shortcut: Control-Shift-K (Command-Option-K on the Mac) If that doesn't work, follow these instructions: <a href="https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Web_Console" rel="nofollow">https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Web_Console</a>
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
For anyone still experiencing this problem, could you report back the Game, Page where tokens are missing, and the names of the missing tokens?

Edited 1586887301
I am also getting this problem, it has only started happening in the last few days. From the Chrome console I am seeing the following messages: "Could not load image from XXXX" (example HREFs <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/63697785/z_SWX6C82CRl563xF96L5g/thumb.png?1538149349" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/63697785/z_SWX6C82CRl563xF96L5g/thumb.png?1538149349</a> , <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/26929831/BiP7UyOFh_7Vm1Sfh97ukQ/thumb.png" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/26929831/BiP7UyOFh_7Vm1Sfh97ukQ/thumb.png</a> being the two most common due to this Drowcentric level.) I also get an "Access to image at XXXX from origin ' <a href="https://app.roll20.net" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net</a> ' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource" for each of the above files. Each of the files does load properly when opened in a new tab. Dragging a new copy of the same monster sheet out onto the map results in the monster reappearing some of the time. For others I have to pull a token out of my library, set it up and make it the default token for that character sheet before it will work. This, obviously, isn't possible for most monsters in the purchased module because I do not have access to their artwork in my library. As a related issue: Can we please have all the token images used in a purchased module added to our purchase library to allow us to recreate in these circumstances? I could stomach re-making all of the default tokens were it not for the fact I have to substitute a hand drawn picture for the assets present in the product I paid for. Some of my players are able to see the invisible tokens when I lose sight of them, while others lose visibility as I do. The monsters are (mostly) still visible in Firefox, though some have vanished from there as well and I can find no pattern as to what will vanish, what will survive, and what cannot be re-created from its character sheet.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Thank you, PhoeM! That's very helpful.

Edited 1586904745
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/26929831/BiP7UyOFh_7Vm1Sfh97ukQ/thumb.png" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/26929831/BiP7UyOFh_7Vm1Sfh97ukQ/thumb.png</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;(Drow) was one of the ones that some of my players were having trouble with.
Keith, that looks like a spider to me, not a drow. Maybe just a mistake, but I wanted to mention it in case pictures have started getting GUIDs reassigned, which might be relevant to the problem being reported.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nah, I just grabbed the wrong link from the post above. Fixed. Thank ye kindly.
I was told to post this here :)&nbsp; &nbsp;start a session everything is fine. Get later into the evening, 2 hours in or so, around 20:30 GMT +0 time and roll20 begins to be unable to handle any shifting of the perspective over the VTT.&nbsp; Zooming in or out as well as panning around the scene just causes me to default back to the position and zoom I was in before when I release the controls. I can roll from opened character sheets but cannot open new ones.&nbsp; Tokens have begun to dissapear despite being on screen for me, not in the gm or map layer, just start up the game and 2 berserker tokens were just plain invisible to my players.&nbsp;

Edited 1586988391
I'm a player in this game (and also a frequent user of the Marketplace to buy stuff for our fabulous DM :)) and this problem is crippling. There are several tokens on the map that nobody can see and whenever they are invoked they lock our DM's browser up so he can't interact with the game. I get a ton of console error logs too even though I'm just a player, and sometimes we can see tokens that are invisible to the DM because they're corrupt (one of the module's drow tokens was visible to us and not to him; we might have had it cached or something).&nbsp; Can someone from Roll20 support please log into the game in question (campaign ID&nbsp;4468572/dungeon-of-the-mad-mage) and remove the bugged tokens nobody can see, or add a fresh copy of Level 10's map without the corrupt content so that we can all play the game we paid for? PhoeM said: I am also getting this problem, it has only started happening in the last few days. From the Chrome console I am seeing the following messages: "Could not load image from XXXX" (example HREFs <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/63697785/z_SWX6C82CRl563xF96L5g/thumb.png?1538149349" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/63697785/z_SWX6C82CRl563xF96L5g/thumb.png?1538149349</a> , <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/26929831/BiP7UyOFh_7Vm1Sfh97ukQ/thumb.png" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/26929831/BiP7UyOFh_7Vm1Sfh97ukQ/thumb.png</a> being the two most common due to this Drowcentric level.)
Further observations from an absolutely lamentable session this evening. I have fully switched browsers to Chrome because it seems to perform better than Firefox at the moment and I thought things were going well for the first 5 minutes of my sessions. Then all the problems from the previous session came back. We are in room 30a of Level 10 of the Roll20 Dungeon of the Mad Mage module. My over confident players had alerted the entire room and were facing a horde, but I do not think the nature of the room nor the number of tokens is the issue as it presented multiple times in the following encounter in 26 with fewer tokens. The main symptom that I can diagnose is that my Canvas stops rendering I can tell the interaction engine is still processing events because I can select tokens in places where I cannot see tokens in my view port. Any panning or zooming is reflected on the position / length of the scrollbars, but the canvas jumps to the view it showed at the start of the operation. If I have a token selected at the time of failure I can type into the hit point box and alter HP, but the values do not change in my view (though they are persisted to the model as they are amended on refresh). I do not want to pop my console during play because I am recording the sessions, and after the game is over I am unable to replicate the problem so it must have something to do with concurrent actions happening from my 3 players and myself. During this session one of my players pointed out one token on the elevated ledge in 30a which did not appear on my screen, and I am certain from my console logs that there are at least 18 other lost tokens because I have that many resource load failures.&nbsp; (Could not load image from ...) However as my players cannot see the GM layer, the vanished ones could be hiding there in ambush. I am just throwing darts at the wall with ideas which I think might help but if any of the following could be implemented it might help: - A tool which iterates over every token on the canvas and adds one of the colour dots Status Icons to it so that the site is forced to render even if the token's image cannot be loaded (although this would break if your rendering step just borks and doesn't draw in the event of a resource load fail) - A list of all tokens on the map with the ability to click the list and cause the token to be selected in the canvas and the view port pulled to it. - A key bind to select next token and pull the view port to it. (this would be torturous to keep mashing given the large number of tokens, but at least it would mean no new UI to code in) - A catch for the URL load failure, which deletes the failing token from the database entirely. Harsh, but at this point I cannot see any of them so they might as well be deleted for all I care. Maybe these corrupted tokens are what is killing the canvas. I suspect a lot of these suggestions have been implemented by people with API access, but they would need giving to lesser GMs as, at this moment, I am having to tell my players I want to put my campaign on hold because I cannot face having to refresh the page once every 20 seconds and wait for everything to load up again only for it fail a few moments later.
Hey folks -&nbsp; We just pushed out a fix for this issue. As such, would you mind trying to reload the game(s) with the problem and letting us know if images are now showing up correctly, please? Thank you for your patience!
Thank you! I have a game I am running this Sunday. I will let you know here if anything comes up.
I'm still having this problem often.&nbsp; Was this fixed for others?
I'm still getting several of the following types of error: thumb.png:1 GET <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/136028806/upmRFKFNvK0jtniUdAkHPg/thumb.png?1589842004" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/136028806/upmRFKFNvK0jtniUdAkHPg/thumb.png?1589842004</a> 403 (Forbidden) thumb.png:1 GET <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/136028768/-pXrh65UCv6g_qHNyYnpJQ/thumb.png?1589841990" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/136028768/-pXrh65UCv6g_qHNyYnpJQ/thumb.png?1589841990</a> 403 (Forbidden) thumb.png:1 GET <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/136014870/yJbCPZ0VSgwspZ_iialcIw/thumb.png?1589839133" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/136014870/yJbCPZ0VSgwspZ_iialcIw/thumb.png?1589839133</a> 403 (Forbidden)&nbsp; Browser: Chrome OS: Windows 10 64 Tried clearing cache and that helped a little, but I have ~35 webm animated tokens and only 4-5 are showing up at any given time.
Same problem on a paid module for Lost Mines of Phandelver.