Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Homebrew Game Systems

I'm interested in setting up a character sheet for a home-brew system and I'm curious how hard it would be to get the HTML file approved for private use.

Edited 1586394057
If you make yourself a Pro member, you can create and use custom character sheets.  It is the primary reason why I am a pro member. To further expand, character sheets get approved if they are for systems with readily available rules (not necessarily free rules, but rules that anyone can acquire either free or purchase).  I do not think private homebrew systems can go through the approval process, sorry.

Edited 1586400941
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If it is just for you, you don't need to submit it to github and go through the approval process.  The pro sub allows you to pick a "Custom" option for the character sheet for your games.  That option gives you an editor to plug in your html, css, and (if needed) translation file.  Once that is saved, that is the sheet for the game, can be edited any time, and it will copy with the game if you select "Custom" for the sheet of the copy. Edit:  If one of your players wants to run that system/sheet, you can create a game with the custom sheet and promote them to GM.
If I can piggyback this thread..  We play Mythus, Dangerous Journeys. If I become "Pro", can I set up a character sheet, from scratch? This game isn't supported by anyone now, but is a heck of a lot of fun.
Yes, you can make your own character sheet.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jason F. said: I'm interested in setting up a character sheet for a home-brew system and I'm curious how hard it would be to get the HTML file approved for private use. To add to previous replies: if its just for private use, you dont need any approval. As a pro user you'll have a custom sheet option, and can create your own code for a sheet (or import code from any of the sheets in roll from roll20s github, and edit it). But one thing to be aware of for you and Bill: creating a character sheet is a lot of work, and you'll have to be - or become - familiar with html, css, and often javascript too. There's no way to import sheets from pdfs, or from other sites. You have to build them yourself. The roll20 wiki has guidelines on building sheets, but you can also view the sheet code for the sheets already available in roll20 at github:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a> Each of the folders there is for a different sheet - the html and css files in each folder are the relevant files. Have a look at them and see if its something you want to spend time creating.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
To add to this discussion. You do not need to create a sheet if you do not wish to. In the journal, you can use the bios tab as a digital paper sheet and the attribute &amp; ability tab can be used for the actual input (attributes) and macros (ability) that would automate the rolling and such. It was how we did it before the community sheets existed and is still a viable option.
Pat S. said: To add to this discussion. You do not need to create a sheet if you do not wish to. In the journal, you can use the bios tab as a digital paper sheet and the attribute &amp; ability tab can be used for the actual input (attributes) and macros (ability) that would automate the rolling and such. It was how we did it before the community sheets existed and is still a viable option. I remember a link in the past to using this system to make a custom sheet, but sadly I can't seem to find it now.&nbsp; could you possibly share a link to a tutorial? thanks
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have no link. All I know is that you can just choose none on the sheet templates, go into the game and add character for the journal that only has the bio tab and attribute&amp;ability tab. Type up your character info in the bio tab (treat it like a paper sheet) then go to the other tab where you can just create your attributes then make your macros that reference the Attributes. This is the original method we used at the beginning of Roll20 and it is still a viable method. The community sheets are just HTML and CSS coding to make it look pretty.&nbsp;