Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Actions Work for GM not Players

Hey all!  I recently decided to make token action buttons for each of my players major attacks/spells/abilities.  When testing them myself (clicking on token, pushing token action button) the macros worked as planned, but when my players joined the game and would use any attack or spell action button ( the initiative, whisper, speak certain language action buttons all worked for everyone) the only output would be the special effect, but the actual attack/hit/critical roll would not show in the chat window.  I am really confused as they still work when I (the GM) click on the token myself and use the token action button.  I have included on of the macros that won't display the output in chat (to be clear, this works for me, not the players) I apologize my script writing is beginner level as I now know better ways to do the same thing I was doing when i constructed this one: It is an action button for thornwhip that should spit out who is casting it , who is the target and give us the attack/damage/crit roll in the chat box. /emas @{selected|token_name} pulls out a small vine covered in thorns ,hands crackle as the vine elongates smashing at @{target|token_name}  @{Cara Bulla|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Thorn Whip}} {{r1=[[@{Cara Bulla|d20}cs>20 + 3[WIS] + 2[PROF]]]}} @{Cara Bulla|rtype}cs>20 + 3[WIS] + 2[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=30 feet}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[[[round((@{Cara Bulla|level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5)]]d6]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} 0 {{dmg2=[[0]]}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=[[[[round((@{Cara Bulla|level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5)]]d6[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[0[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}}   {{spelllevel=cantrip}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{Cara Bulla|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{Cara Bulla|global_damage_mod_type}}} ammo= @{Cara Bulla|charname_output} /fx beam-magic @{selected|token_id} @{target|token_id}
How I worked around this in our last game (without them having to open their character sheets ) was I would click on their token and then click the action bar (and appropriate target); I just know I am missing something to get them to work for my players not just me!!
I am including one of my very simple ones, that have no special effects, and the updated system I am using but even these do not spit out the result in the chat box for my players yet work for me when I 'push' the button while 'controlling' their token. %{selected|repeating_attack_$0_attack} /emas @{selected|token_name} swings gracefully at @{target|token_name} 

Edited 1586403139
Wes
Sheet Author
/emas is a GM exclusive chat command, see Help Center It looks as if you could use /em in all your examples with out any problems.
Thank you!