Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] How do you reset the new explorer mode(new advanced fog)

I moved a player token all over the place, so almost everything is revealed, I want my players to start fresh so how do I reset it? 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You rest it with the Reset Fog button under the Reveal Tool on the Toolbar at the left.  It's the same button used for Fog of War.
The Aaron said: You rest it with the Reset Fog button under the Reveal Tool on the Toolbar at the left.  It's the same button used for Fog of War. Ahh thank you! :) 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
No problem!  That took me a while to find also. =D
dumb question but is there a trick to this? no matter how many time's I click reset when I rejoin as a player everything is still greyed out but visible or will that be black for the actual players?
I would like to reiterate Jolene G.'s question. I cannot get it to reset following the above steps.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hmm.  I don't recall there being a trick to it.  I test with a secondary account, not my primary logged in as player, so it's possible there's a difference there.  I'll try it out later and see if I can duplicate your issue.
I think if you use the "Rejoin as Player" feature, it still shows you (as GM) what you have rights to see, which is everything. As The Aaron says, the most reliable method is to create a second testing account, and use that to log in purely as a player.
Well, I was actually having the same problem. I tend to use the Ctrl+L shortcut to visualise what my players can or cannot see, so I was checking the Explorer mode this way. And yes, it was showing me everything, no matter how many times I hit the Reset Fog button. But when I hit Re-Join as a Player, and I select a token, it seems to work perfectly fine. The fog totally covers any non-explored area, and it darkens and "freezes" the explored ones, which is the way I believe it works, right? Just wanted to suggest trying it, because this is way more convenient than having a second test account, and it worked for me at least.
I don't know if this has any bearing, but I created a second testing account to check the dynamic lighting.  I invited it to join the game, but my secondary player can't even see the map (just a blank grid) or fill out the character sheet I added for it.  I have fiddled with the settings until I'm blue in the face.

Edited 1594336399
Page Toolbar > Page Settings > GM Darkness Opacity - set it to 100% Left Toolbar > Reveal Tool > Reset Fog This solution worked for me, I arrived at it after working through all of the above comments. -edit- I'd been testing my PC's tokens by including me 'John.B' as well as my PC's player, in the edited and controlled by section. Pretty sure that meant that they could see whatever I had discovered. When it comes to game time be sure that the PC's only, are in control of their tokens.

Edited 1596193670
Just to clarify (as I have just been swearing at it) If you check the Explorable Darkness option THEN The label at the bottom changes to Reset Explorable Darkness  and Bob's yer uncle.  
Nick Leech said: Just to clarify (as I have just been swearing at it) If you check the Explorable Darkness option THEN The label at the bottom changes to Reset Explorable Darkness  and Bob's yer uncle.   Amazing, totally worked <3
Thank you for this! Since the new tool rollout, I couldnt figure out how to do this. Didn't realize you had to choose Explorable Darkness first! Nick Leech said: Just to clarify (as I have just been swearing at it) If you check the Explorable Darkness option THEN The label at the bottom changes to Reset Explorable Darkness  and Bob's yer uncle.  
Thank you Nick! Nick Leech said: Just to clarify (as I have just been swearing at it) If you check the Explorable Darkness option THEN The label at the bottom changes to Reset Explorable Darkness  and Bob's yer uncle.  
I don't know why but when I select the hide areas tab there is no top bar that shows the Permanent Darkness / Explorable Darkness option. It just has the rest but no selection. I have found a way around this though. In case anyone else is in the same situation as me or maybe Roll20 changed it since the last reply, all you have to do is go into the page settings. Disable the updated Dynamic Lighting, save the page settings. This will go back to a normal map with no darkness and no DL, then just go straight back into the page settings and turn the DL back on and save the settings. This should reset the darkness and any exploration that has occurred will be reset.
None of this has worked for me.  I have reset explorable darkness.  I have saved it without dynamic lighting, but when I turn it back on, there are random areas that are still showing its been explored.  I tried updating the lighting outside the game.  There are still "explored" areas on the map.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you! Nick Leech said: Just to clarify (as I have just been swearing at it) If you check the Explorable Darkness option THEN The label at the bottom changes to Reset Explorable Darkness  and Bob's yer uncle.