Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Talking player to player

Edited 1586440002
Hello folks, I am new on this platform and maybe I have a stupid newbie-question. My players claim that it is a kind of showstopper not having the possibility to talk 1-to-1 from one player to another or 1-to-2, and so on. The reason is: in Real-live games..which we usually did before Corona...there were always a lot of valuable discussions between the players. On Roll20...we couldn't find such an option. I as a GM can always whisper to one other player...but also not to a group of e.g. 3 others. Could someone help me?! Cause: I love that platform because it brings so many valuable thing s for a GM and I do not want to loose my player's motivation to play with me. Best
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There isn't a way built in to whisper between more than 2 parties.  However, there's an easy way to set it up: 1) Create a Character with some simple but meaningful name, like "Bob-Sue-Tom" 2) Add the players as controlling on that character (Bob, Sue, and Tom) 3) Whisper to that character "/w Bob-Sue-Tom Hey guys, what if..." Everyone controlling that character will get the message.  You can setup a Macro for it and give it to the group in question: /w Bob-Sue-Tom ?{Message}
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
This technique is often used for languages.

Edited 1586444053
Thanks Aaron for your fast reply. It is a good solution for the chat...meaning a written message. But I mentioned real talking to each other. Is this also possible in a way?
Use discord rather than roll20 for you voice communications, you can make seperate chat channels within your discord server.  The difference from the table is that you can't monitor what's going on in the other channel at the same time.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah yeah, for voice/video, using something like discord is probably the way to go...
Wait, am I missing womething or you could as a DM whisper between two character and let them talk to each other right? The DM, sorry GM ;) will be hearing but then again nothing should be hidden from the GM.
Thanks Patrick...will try that. Chat and Cam via Roll20 and speak chat via discord...
We use multiple discord channels for our table to get around this issue, I (DM) cant hear them but I always have them whisper me in game what the synopsis of the discussion, it works pretty well and only takes a minute or so for them to type out the gist of their conversations. That way no time is lost in the game and I can still know what is going on :D
Brian S. said: We use multiple discord channels for our table to get around this issue, I (DM) cant hear them but I always have them whisper me in game what the synopsis of the discussion, it works pretty well and only takes a minute or so for them to type out the gist of their conversations. That way no time is lost in the game and I can still know what is going on :D Thanks for sharing your xperience with discord. I thin I will open a channel for each player...and having one for all and one special DM channel. Then everyone can talk with everyone by just putting the necessary players into the corresponding channel.