Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with player editing in Journal

I don't think this can be done, but I figured I would ask anyway.   Even if it can't be done, hoping for some ideas on how to work around it. Once I add an NPC to my players Journal, I am looking for way for them to edit and add their own notes about the NPC. Unfort. when I select "Can be edited by" members it gives them access to the NPCs Character Sheet and Attributes & Abilities tab.  I want to keep this information from them, but still allow them to keep notes. I am a pro subscriber and am sure there has to be some sort of way to do this. Thanks
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
There isn't a way to separate editing of the Bio & Info tab from the ability to edit the Attributes & Abilities tab (the character sheet tab is basically a fancy UI for the latter).  There are a few ways to handle this that I have used, and usually do a combination of 2 and 3 in my games. 1.  You do the work of putting the notes in the Bio & Info tab that gives reminders to the players of what they have heard/experienced with this npc.  Of course, you have a different perspective as the GM, so may not (if you don't have good input from players) get the exact info on there that the players would choose themselves.  You could work this much like 3, except that you don't have the option of turning over control to a player without exposing the sheet. 2.  Assign a handout to each player to use as a journal.  Create one as a group journal that all players can edit and let them take notes or not as they will with those.  Of course, they may not take notes, in which case you have to figure out what to do about that. 3.  Create a handout (with portrait) for each npc important enough to warrant notes.  Put in whatever info the players will know at the beginning, and keeping anything they don't know in the GM notes section for easy copy/paste later as they learn more.  You can then turn edit permissions over to the players of this handout, or to a certain player that has volunteered to take care of that sort of thing. Hope you find a system that works for you.
Thanks.. I had thought about option 1 and 3. 3 seems like a lot more work for me as the DM (but I know this is probably the best option) What I might end up doing then is assigning them a journal to write in, and then copy/paste their "NPC" info onto the sheet at the end of sessions. Not the best solution, but it is the one we have.. lol Thank you

Edited 1586455720
I just had an epiphany on this.  It will be a little bit of work though.  Let's say the NPC is named Boris.  You could create a Handout called Player Notes on Boris that is editable by the players.  Then archive it. Then on the section that players can see of Boris' character sheet (the Bio section) you would just include a single line that says [Player Notes on Boris].  Handouts are accessible and editable from the archive. Oh yeah that line becomes a hyperlink to the handout.
That could work too.  I didn't even think about that. Going to do a test and see how manageable it is. thank-you
Keep in mind that each handout has to have a different name... not just player notes or the hyperlinks wont know where to look.
Thanks Patrick Took me a bit of time, but was able to do it this way for all of the NPCs in Storm King's Thunder. We have been playing for months, and this is one of those things that always bothered me, but never had time to address. Thanks again!