Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whisper Macro Issue

Hey, so, I've been trying to work out this macro for whispering to my players - /w @{selected|token_name} ?{Message:} The weird thing is that when I use it from the 'Test Macro' prompt before saving the change, I'm able to have my whispered messages come out fine and no issue. However, when I save the changes and make it into a macro button on my bar for me to use, it's not fine at all. For some reason, it makes two messages: the whispered message for the player and another public message in the group chat text box, but the strange thing is for that one it just shows up empty while the whispered message has all the words and stuff I sent to the players.  I'm not sure what's causing the issue, but after testing, it appears that everything just works fine and dandy when I just use the macro I posted above. But when I make it into a macro button for me to use quickly, it shows the whispered message and an empty message onto the text chat for everyone to see all at the same time. Concerning my browser, I'm using google chrome and I don't have any extensions on while using roll20, so I don't believe it has anything to do with those.  Thanks for anyone willing to give me some advice on how to fix this mess or why it's happening! 
Try replacing ":" with "|". Macro should look like: /w "@{selected|character_name}" ?{Message|} You should consider adding double quotes around the name attribute (in case a NPC or PC have space in his/her name) and using "character_name" instead of "token_name" with /w command (if a NPC's name is "Assassin", its token should be labeled "Trustworthy Gentleman" to not draw attention. Using /w "@{selected|token_name}" in this case will fail as no character sheet is named "Trustworthy Gentleman" whereas /w "@{selected|character_name}" will always work).
A carriage return in the macro can cause this, if for example you hit return at the end of the macro statement.
Erik H. said: Try replacing ":" with "|". Macro should look like: /w "@{selected|character_name}" ?{Message|} You should consider adding double quotes around the name attribute (in case a NPC or PC have space in his/her name) and using "character_name" instead of "token_name" with /w command (if a NPC's name is "Assassin", its token should be labeled "Trustworthy Gentleman" to not draw attention. Using /w "@{selected|token_name}" in this case will fail as no character sheet is named "Trustworthy Gentleman" whereas /w "@{selected|character_name}" will always work). Sorry for the delay, but I checked back and used the new macro and it works without that second blue bubble popping out! Thanks for that and good to know that now rather than when it's too late when I have to do interactions as important NPCs for my players! I appreciate all the help and advice from both of you.