Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Multi level spells with targets

Hello. I'm new to roll20 (#quarantine2020) and I'm trying to wrap my head around macros. I'm trying to create a macro for 5e cure wounds that 1) has a dropdown to select what level I'm casting it at 2) allows me to select a target to get their name 3) and as a bonus I'd like to also include /fx Here's what I've got so far. ?{Spell| Cure Wounds 1, **Cure Wounds 1** With a hearty pat on the back @{target|Heal Recipient 1|character_name} regains [[1d8+4]] HP. | Cure Wounds 2, **Cure Wounds 2** "By the holy light!" @{target|Heal Recipient 2|character_name} regains [[2d8+5]] HP. | Cure Wounds 3, **Cure Wounds 3** 50% of the time it works every time! @{target|Heal Recipient 3|character_name} regains [[3d8+6]] HP. } /fx beam-holy @{target|Caster|token_id} @{target|Heal Recipient|token_id} It 'works' but the problem is I have to select the target 4 times before I get to select the dropdown option. Is there a better way to do this, so I only have to select the caster & target once?
Consider the following macro: ?{Curse spell, choose number of target to be affected |1, @{target|1|name} is |2, @{target|1|name} and @{target|2|name} are }affected by a powerful scourge! Even if the player choose to affect 1 target, he will have to click on 2 targets to launch the spell but the chat will display the name of the first target only. Free accounts on Roll20 work this way. A Pro subscriber have access to the API and can script "smarter" macros. For click mouse saving purpose: - One spell to heal one target, potency of spell is chosen on-the-fly with the spellcaster and recipient names specified once (1 click to launch the spell, 1 click to select caster, 1 click to select target = 3 clicks): ?{Cure Wounds, select potency|Cure Light Wounds,with a hearty pat on the back @{target|RECIPIENT|token_name} regains [[1d8+4]] HP.|Cure Moderate Wounds,"By the holy light!" @{target|RECIPIENT|token_name} regains [[2d8+5]] HP.|Cure Critical Wounds,50% of the time it works every time! @{target|RECIPIENT|token_name} regains [[3d8+6]] HP.} /fx beam-holy @{selected|CASTER|token_id} @{target|RECIPIENT|token_id} - One spell to heal multiple target at once, potency chosen on-the-fly with spellcaster and recipients name specified once (1 click to launch the spell, 1 click to select caster, 1 click to select EACH 4 targets = 6 clicks) ?{Cure Wounds, select potency|Cure Light Wounds,with a hearty pat on the back @{target|RECIPIENT 1|token_name0}, @{target|RECIPIENT 2|token_name}, @{target|RECIPIENT 3|token_name} and @{target|RECIPIENT 4|token_name} regains [[1d8+4]] HP.|Cure Moderate Wounds,"By the holy light!" @{target|RECIPIENT 1|token_name0}, @{target|RECIPIENT 2|token_name}, @{target|RECIPIENT 3|token_name} and @{target|RECIPIENT 4|token_name} regains [[2d8+5]] HP.|Cure Critical Wounds,50% of the time it works every time! @{target|RECIPIENT 1|token_name0}, @{target|RECIPIENT 2|token_name}, @{target|RECIPIENT 3|token_name} and @{target|RECIPIENT 4|token_name} regains [[3d8+6]] HP.} /fx beam-holy @{selected|CASTER|token_id} @{target|RECIPIENT 1|token_id} /fx beam-holy @{selected|CASTER|token_id} @{target|RECIPIENT 2|token_id} /fx beam-holy @{selected|CASTER|token_id} @{target|RECIPIENT 3|token_id} /fx beam-holy @{selected|CASTER|token_id} @{target|RECIPIENT 4|token_id} To prevent players to learn that one of the character acts under a secret identity (i.e. token's name on the VTT does not match character's name), you should consider using "@{selected|token_name}" or "@{target|token_name}" when the result is to be publicly displayed in chat and should keep "@{selected|character_name}" and "@{target|character_name}" to /w command for example.