Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

[LFG] Newbie seeks awesome group

1586756094

Edited 1586756492
Hello! My name is Tiffany, i'm 24 years old and I am new to tabletop RPGs and roll20. I don't have any experience playing the games yet, but I figured now is the time to start playing with this corona virus quarantine in place! I know a little bit about playing from what i've heard from friends, but I would really like to find a solid group of people to consistently play with.  My schedule is fairly open, I'm usually just busy during the morning for a few hours during weekdays (i'm on PDT). I can be pretty flexible with meeting times though, and I can work out better time slots if need be.  I'm pretty much open to any kind of game one shot or long term, but it would be a big plus to have a group of people that I could do a campaign with and play with regularly while I'm figuring things out.  If I sound like I would be a good fit for your group please shoot me a message, I'm also on Discord if that works well too! Thanks!
1586777062

Edited 1586802064
Lessy
Plus
It's always nice to see new faces join us bone rollin' nerds, so welcome Tiffany! Sadly you've decided to begin at a time when Roll20 is being flooded with pay-to-play games (the ones with the red [$$] next to the listing) by people looking to supplement their halted income. If you sift enough however, you can still find free to play games in the Looking For Group listings (under Games > Looking for Game). My recommendation for a jumping off point into the wide world of tabletop RPG would be 5e. It's an easy to grasp system with lots of content and people playing it, so finding a game even in the literal sea of pay-to-play won't be super hard (though harder then before, as I said). Something to keep an eye out for in listings is what I like to call "Zero effort GMs", people who clearly aren't placing even the smallest effort in making a good game, these are by and large doomed to fail, assuming they even start, can be an awful introduction for a new player, such as yourself, and the bad taste left afterwards has been known to turn people off of table top for good. Spotting these GMs and the games they host aren't hard, signs include: They don't capitalize or use proper grammar in the title or description. They don't use the description for anything useful information, such as the specifics of the game, what they expect from players, what the players can expect from them, ect. Instead they often give a blurp that tells you maybe the basic jist of the plot, if that,usually it's just "hey lett throw sum dice". Don't take the time to upload a proper avatar, or have one with a broken link to the image. Don't seem to know what they even want from the game, and/or are looking for a DM (Dungeon Master, what we call the one who runs the game, sometimes GM or Game Master as well, same difference), and even if they are looking for/allow you to join as a player it may take a long time for someone to step up as a DM for them, and the back and forth between that player and the DM can be tiring, so better to just find a game that has a DM. I know this is quite the list, but all of these points show people who either have no idea what they are doing and/or are lazy and don't want to put in the effort to be a good DM, which is sad as a little bit of effort and imagination is all you really need. You may also see people running Modules. Modules are basically pre packaged adventures all ready to go with a story, encounters, plot points and the like, just waiting for a group to make some characters and the DM to follow along. These can be great for new players, as many are designed with new players in mind, but they can also be a little railroady, aka there aren't as many branching paths as in a game where the DM is making everything up as they go, so some big choices are fairly well set, and plot points that have to be reached one way or another. But they are also played often, so they aren't hard to find, I can't recommend any as modules are not my jam at, but others may be able recommenced some. I hope I've been able to help, if you want feel free to DM me with any questions, I'm always happy to help, and again, welcome to Roll20 and Tabletop. (P.S.- Is that your cat in your avatar? If so it is a very majestic floof and clearly your rightful feline overlord... :P)
1586777915

Edited 1586777933
Welcome in our humble group Tiffany. I would be happy to help with your basics and early teachings. But sadly I a do not run any 5e as of now. I do have Shadowrun(Cyberpunk styled game situated in NeoTokyo with mega corporations trying to take control over each other) and Pathfinder 1e grand campaign(Starting this week, with 3 groups existing at once in same world, game is situated to world I build for this campaign, but characters are going to work mostly on sea and ships, as they are trying to survive in pirate infested waters). But given how many players are joining us these days, I would be probably hosting one or two short campaigns for newcomers with DnD 5e(Fair to say it is good system for new or experienced players). And if they would like I am ok with going for long term.
Would you like to join my discord server for dnd, we have multiple games a day were kind, friendly and accept anyone even if they are new to dnd and roll 20 or experienced. Feel free to pm me
1586796896

Edited 1586796973
Hello,  I'm Starting a Zweihander Campaign this week, if you want to join - Zweihander is a "Fantasy", LowMagic, D100 game - Everyone is new at playing this game & I'm looking for 1 more player. Page me if your interested, Thanks
1586797637

Edited 1586798302
Jake W. said: They don't capitalize or use proper grammar in the title or description. Don't take the time to upload a proper avatar, or have one with a broken link to the image. I would disagree with these two statements. 1. Everyone is not perfect in there typing. And being a spelling and grammar nazi doesn't show good faith. So what if maybe they forgot to capitalize a "i" or forgot to capitalize one beginning of sentence. This does not show they are bad people. Assuming they are shows how ignorant you are. Edit: Also side note what if English isn't there first language? Are you going to punish them for trying? To you, you would. 2. Same as first. having a picture means squat on reflecting on how they GM or play. So what if they do not want a picture. That does not mean they are lousy GM's or players. has no relevant to who they are. You are giving some bad advice to new people and that shows you are being counter productive in helping them.
1586801104

Edited 1586801636
Myst
Plus
Sent you a message, Tiffany. :) Also, on the subject of this whole "signs of a bad DM" thing being thrown around by Jake for some reason...some of us are just more casual than others. I imagine I would be a bad DM by this person's standard simply on the basis of not currently having the spare money to run an upgraded account, thus I don't have access to some of the Roll20 software's fancy bells and whistles and my maps are a little simpler. Most of the things that have been said here do not make a DM "lazy" or "bad". A DM is bad if the players aren't having fun. If the group is consistently having fun and leaving everyone excited for the next game, then that DM is not bad regardless of any other factors. Some people want a super structured game. Some people want to have a couple drinks and relax and just have a good time. It's a matter of preference, despite what their little essay indicates.