Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

New DM struggling with map and tokens

Hi everyone! New DM here trying to set up my first game for friends while we are under lockdown. I'm running the lost mines and bought the pack before it became free. No matter what I do when I click "View as a player" my first battle map is in greyscale and I can't see any of the tokens. Is there something I am missing? I have been watching so many videos and reading up as much as I can. TYIA for any advice and support!
1586894418
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There are two things at work here: 1) as a player, you must have control of a token to be able to see on a may that uses Dynamic Lighting 2) as the GM, you have already "seen" the whole map, so "Advanced" Fog of War is filled in for you and you get a greyscale view of everything. I'd suggest logging into the game in a second browser (or private browser instance) or using a different account so you can be in as a player in one, and GM in another.  Then assign yourself control of a Character on the map, verify it has vision settings, and reset the fog of war in the Reveal menu of the toolbar.
Thanks! I will give that a try!
This is where I have managed to get to. Honestly, this is driving me crazy, haha!
1586900165
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah.  You have no tokens on the Map.  You need something with vision on there.  Is this the Lost Mines of Phandelver Module?  It should be pre-populated with various tokens.
The DM account has all the tokens though. I can see them all there. Just nothing as a player.
1586901926
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
As the GM, give yourself control of one of the characters on the map.  Your player logged in self should then see light on the map.
I think I fixed it. I turned off dynamic lighting in the settings, then, had to do it on each individual page. I have full-colour maps! It just means I am having to hide/reveal areas myself but I am ok with that! Thanks for the advice.