Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ch. 1: The Adventure Begins in the Town of Kellee:

Dungeon Master (GM): What do you guys think? start without half the party? have them be met at an Inn perhaps? Or wait another week to start, and hope all the characters are made and set up by then?   Duncan Steelbeard: We can meet them at the Inn   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, with Chris and Devin?   Estrel Tol: I am ok with that - we just need to realize there are only 3 of us. How are  we  supposed to know each other   Dungeon Master (GM): you can dream that up as you are walking towards the town and chit chatting with each other ok, so the party notices a poster nailed to a nearby tree and it is a wanted poster for someone named Elgin the Wolf, the reward being offered is 1,000 gold coins and signed by the Reeve of Kellee Dominond go from there guys.   Estrel Tol: Not that it matters much, but where on the map is Kellee?   Dungeon Master (GM): did you see the pinging that is where the town is located   Estrel Tol: got it now. So we are (or have been traveling over/through the mountains to the east)?   Dungeon Master (GM): you are on the Timori road, traveling to look for work/adventure I guess that yellow road is the Timori   Dungeon Master (GM): the blue is a river   Estrel Tol: So we are assumed to be "natural residents" of this realm (as opposed to passing through a mist from our "home world")?   Dungeon Master (GM): in this case yes though of course the mist can still send you anywhere   Estrel Tol: ok.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "So, Duncan, I guess we got pretty lucky. I am not usually comfortable in towns, so having a job dropped into our lap is great. How hard could this be?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "If we find Elgin may be some good coin"   Dungeon Master (GM): anything from Devin's character here?   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Hope the Reeve has time to see us"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "More than what I likely need to buy a horse to cut down on all this walking over mountain passes!"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Winks and grins   Dungeon Master (GM): of that i have no idea as i don't have the Ravenloft campaign book set   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "You know how to FIND a Reeve in a town like Kellee?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Should not be too hard, we can either start something, hehe or just ask at the Inn"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Start something? Isn't there ALWAYS something "started" in a town? That's why I like the peace of the woods!"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Like, I don't know, the MURDER of citizens of any otherwise quiet town?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Woods are too open, can be attacked from any direction, easier to watch for trouble in a town."     Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Woods are quiet - you can hear folks coming. If you know what sounds SHOULDN'T be there."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Too many places for trouble to hide in a town. All of it is 'unnatural'"   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, now, so the party is strolling along having seen the wanted poster, they continue onwards into the town of Kellee as they conversed among themselves   Dungeon Master (GM): as you enter the town you see one of it's occupants whom greets the party (To GM)rolling d20( 8 ) = 8   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Good day Sir"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger nods in the direction of the townsperson   Dungeon Master (GM): The fellow you see is only about five feet five inches tall. He has black hair that is going gray at his temples. He is in his early forties. He wears a red, knee length, velvet robe whose collar, hem, and cuffs are lined with rabbit fur. Under his left arm he carries a bundle of furs. he says, "Hello Folks!, Welcome to Kellee!" I am Heardred."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Well met, Heardred. It would appear that you know a pretty good trapper, eh?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Hows things in your town?"   Herdred: says, "Know a good trapper? Why Yes, I'm am that trapper! I am a furrier by trade. The town is fine just a little more on edge than usual due to a few murders of farmers in the area."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "A  FEW ? How many is "a few"?"
Herdred: says, "You folks just passing through or staying in Kellee?" "With night fall coming, I don't recommend traveling along the roads." "The town pretty much closes and locks up at dusk."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Only at night? I am assuming that the murders happened at night?"   Herdred: says, "5 of the town's local farmers were found slain recently." "Have you noticed wanted posters?" "It's a fellow named Elgin, the Reeve is looking for."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "We need to speak with this Reeve"   Herdred: says, "I don't know any details on the murders, myself, however, my supplier Hoc had a few run ins with Elgin's gang.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "The farmers live IN the town? Or on the outskirts, near their fields?"   Herdred: “ Hoc is a trapper, you see, he spends a lot of time in the same woods that Elgin and his gang used to patrol.” Heardred then scratches his chin and says, “If memory serves, Hoc told me they had an arrangement. As long as Hoc gave Elgin and his boys the meat from his kills, they would let him do his business unmolested.”   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger turns to Duncan and elbows him   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Much as I am not thrilled about staying in town, we probably need to do that - and speak to the Reeve quickly if we're going to get involved in this Elgin stuff"   Herdred: says, "No the farmers live on their own lands around the outskirts of the town."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "So no one  IN  town has been murdered?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Looks at Estrel for a moment before speaking   Herdred: says, “No sir, no one in the Kelle proper itself.”, “There is an inn here in town called the Tall Mug, go there if you need a place to stay. the Reeve should be at the town hall until nightfall in a bit so you could go see him if he doesn't have any meetings."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Thanks much ya have a good day"   Herdred: says, "The Town Hall is that big Building over there (pointing)" "just keep going down this road and you'll spot the tall mug on the other side of town with stables nearby." "You too, folks, nice to have met you."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Lets get rooms then go see the Reeve"   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, as you do that you pass in front of a building that looks definitely like a temple you can give me wisdom perception checks to see if your character can tell the deity it worships   WISDOM CHECK For Duncan Steelbeard the Fghter Rolls:  4  Needs ≤  12   Estrel Tol: rolling d20( 2 ) = 2   Dungeon Master (GM): Both of you note that it is a temple dedicated to Choosir   Dungeon Master (GM): across the street from it is a building with a sign saying "Money Changer", the town hall is just next to the temple. also in the circular area a bazaar is set up, and is already starting to closes up for the day.   The Bazaar is an open area directly in front of the Town Hall. There the Timori Road widens out into a circle about fifty feet across. Most days more than a dozen entertainers, traveling merchants, and artisans can be found there plying their trades. In a village full of color, the bazaar shines all the brighter. Tarpaulins and tents of vibrant colors protect the business that goes on under them from the gray skies above.   An area in the north side of the Bazaar, in front of two brightly painted covered wagons, is open enough that a score of villagers have gathered to watch a lovely young Vistani woman dance. What looks to be her father and brother stand, on opposite sides of the space she is dancing in, playing a fiddle and flute. At the end of each song the audience toss copper coins at the young lady’s feet and applaud. While she is collecting the coins, a stern eyed Vistani man comes out of the back of one of the wagons and approaches the crowd directly. He says, “You will come with me.” Then he turns motioning them to follow him back to the wagon he emerged from.       Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "So, see the Reeve first, or make sure the inn has available rooms before all the scared folk take them up?"     Dungeon Master (GM): (To GM)rolling d20( 19 ) = 19   (From Estrel Tol):  What should we know about Choisir? Anything?   (To Estrel Tol):  Hold on and let me see   Dungeon Master (GM): you guys bump into a fellow who seems to be looking for someone around the bazaar   (To Estrel Tol):  Choosir is the god of commerce   (From Estrel Tol):  Cool. Thanks   Dungeon Master (GM): A handsome man with a strong chin and chiseled jawline. His curly light brown hair rests on his stout shoulders. He is dressed in a blue satin doublet with gold trim. He carries a green leather messenger bag over his left shoulder. It is ornately appointed with silver fittings and a locked latch.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger turns to Duncan
Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "And you don't get bumped and jostled by obsessed people in the woods either."   Ruan: When he bumps into Estrel, he says, "Oh pardon me sir!" "I am looking for my son, somewhere around here."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Does your son have a name? Or can you give us a description? We are new in town, and haven't seen many folks other than the furrier"   Ruan: "Lowen is his name"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Duncan - did you see anyone? Sir, I can't say I have seen Lowen"   Ruan: says, "Lowen is a young boy who is eight years old. He has brown, curly trusses hang down from beneath his blue, puffy cap. He is wearing finely tailored clothes, that match his cap." He says, "My name is Ruan."   Ruan: says, "We just arrived here in town about a half hour ago."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Where was the last place you saw him, Ruan?"   Ruan: says, "Right here in the bazaar"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger scans the bazaar looking for both faces and anyone acting suspicious   Ruan: says, "If you happen to spot him, I'd be grateful, we are staying over at the tall mug inn" "We were going to get our fortunes read by the Vistani Gypsy here in the bazaar but got separated playing the games."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger nods and offers his hand to Ruan to shake   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Will do. If we see him, we'll point him to the inn"   Ruan: shakes Estrel’s  hand and says, "Thank you."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "If we see the boy will help reunite you"   Dungeon Master (GM): ok where do you go next?   Duncan Steelbeard: Dont want to get ripped off by Vistani so Inn than Reeve   Dungeon Master (GM): ok with the other two?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Works for me. Knowing we have a place to go back to is a good plan. Then, hopefully, we can catch the Reeve before he calls it a day"   Dungeon Master (GM): ok so the party continues down the Timori road and when they get to the spot i Have the tokens now, you see that there is a butcher's shop to the south and a Mill house north across the street from it (To GM)rolling d20( 9 ) = 9   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger continues to scan for the boy as well   Dungeon Master (GM): You see an older lady come out of the butcher's shop a woman of average height that seems to be in her sixties. She has kind eyes and a warm smile. Her gray hair is tucked under a kerchief, so it is only visible where her neck meets the back of her head. She wears a rusty brown dress and a white apron.   Siryule: as you pass by she says, "Greetings Folks!"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Good day, ma'am"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Greetings Hows the shopping at the Butcher?"   Siryule: says, "Oh he offers a lot of good meats indeed. If you need meats, I recommend seeing Kip inside."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "That's a great tip. See Kip. You wouldn't have happened to see a small boy on his own, have you?"   Siryule: says, "Tell 'im that Siryule, sent you!" says, "No I am afraid not, I just stopped here looking for some bacon for breakfast and did not see one."   ok anything more to say to her?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger steps aside to let Siryule pass by with her bacon   Duncan Steelbeard: Nope   Dungeon Master (GM): alright so you continue on your way to the inn   Duncan Steelbeard: yep   Dungeon Master (GM): Area Description: The Tall Mug Inn is a long two-story building on the west side of town. It is on the north side of the Timori Road, directly across from the stables. The Inn, like most of the buildings in Kellee, has tall whitewashed walls with dark timber supports and crossbeams. Large ornate flowers decorate the front wall of the inn. Unlike most other buildings in the village the roof of the Tall Mug is made of heavy terracotta tiles. The main entrance of the inn opens into the dining room of the inn's tavern. It is a long low-ceilinged room with a bar on the far end. Eight heavy oak tables are staggered down the length of the room. A lady calls out to the party as you enter. She s a plump middle-aged woman with dishwater blond hair. She is friendly and outgoing. She wears a tan and green dress with a bodice.   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "G Day We'd like a couple rooms for the night"   Aelswith the Innkeeper: “ Hello Folks come on in and right over here!”  
Aelswith The Innkeeper The Says, "Do you need a room, a meal, or both? A single room for the night is 6 silver, with meals included. For those not staying at the inn, meals are 15 copper pieces."   Aelswith The Innkeeper The Says, "Additional beverages are extra. Breakfast is goat chops and eggs, with apple cider. Lunch and dinner are meat stew, normally goat meat, but sometimes pork, rye bread, and mashed potatoes. Ale, red wine, or apple cider are served as beverages."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Room and meals makes sense."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Perhaps a meal after we see the Reeve about this Elgin fella"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Say, just out of curiosity - the Reeve wouldn't happen to frequent here (either bar or for meals) would he?"     Onela The Chamber Maid Says, "Hello there handsome, (To Estrel), are you hungry? need a drink?"   Aelswith The Innkeeper The Says, "Oh, Dominond will stop in from time to time to check up on the locals and see what they need done and such."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Are you talking to me? My friend and I have some business with the Reeve. Eating and drinking might be the order of the evening after that, thank you"   Onela The Chamber Maid Says, "Very well, (she winks as she walks away.)"   Duncan Steelbeard: [ Be gone Witch!! haha Just kidding Low CHA and all]   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Do you need funds to cover the room and meals?"   Onela The Chamber Maid: ok anymore convo with the Onela or Aelswith? getting a room first before seeing the reeve?   Duncan Steelbeard: yes get a room see the reeve then come back for the meal   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger fishes out 12 silver and places it on the bar in front of Aelswith   Aelswith The Innkeeper The Gives you a key with a room number on it   Aelswith The Innkeeper The Says, "the rooms are upstairs, just up those stairs."   Ok, so go to the town hall now?   Duncan Steelbeard: yes   The Town Hall is one of the largest buildings in the whole of Kellee. It has sturdy stone walls and is covered with a roof of thick terracotta tiles. The Town Hall is made up of three sections.   The party makes their way to the middle triangular section with a “Reeve’s Office” sign and two guards stationed at the front door. The wings to either side are marked Jail and Garrison.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok when you arrive you see to guards at the front door, what do you do?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger nods at the guards   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Gentlemen, has the Reeve left for the day yet?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Hey there, We'd like to see the Reeve about this Elgin fella"   Town Guard: Greetings folks! Do you have a meeting with the Reeve this evening?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "We'd like to. But no, we don't have one scheduled. We are responding to the posters we saw on the way into town."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Looks to Estrel and nods   Town Guard The Human Says, "Oh I see, you wish to inquire about the Elgin job, I shall inform the reeve if so."   Town Guard The Human Looks for a confrimation from party   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Thanks Sir yes we're here about Elgin"   Town Guard The Human Says, "Alright"   Town Guard The Human opens the door and walks in, closing the door behind him. a few moments later, he comes out. Alright, the Reeve can give you about 5 minutes, as he has an appointment arriving soon. You may enter.   Town Guard The Human Opens the door all the way and waves the group in.
Duncan Steelbeard: Walks inside looks around   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger follows the group   Dungeon Master (GM): Dominond is setting behind a large wooden desk in a red wing backed chair. Behind him is a fireplace with a portrait of what looks like the Reeve when he was a young man, sitting on the mantel piece. There are two plush stools between the office’s door and the Reeve’s desk, for visitors to use. The hardwood floor is mostly covered by an ornate but worn rug, that is burgundy in color, with gold trim. As the party comes in the door, the Reeve motions them in with a beckoning wave. He points to the stools, and says, “Sit, sit”   Duncan Steelbeard: Duncan takes a seat   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger sits   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "Guard, bring a bench in for the halfling fellow."   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "The fellow deserves a rest as well. So you are interested in hunting down that animal Elgin the Wolf?”"   Dominond is a man of average height. The years are starting to show on him. He is a bit paunchy, and his brown hair is going gray around the temples.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "If you are certain that he is your murderer, we can track him down and bring him in. That's what you want, right?" Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Yes heard hes killed some Farmers"   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "Yes, it is what I want, to bring him to justice. And yes, he is believed to be behind the famers deaths. I am short on men here to investigate full time, thus why i am hiring out."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "What can you tell us about Elgin. Why do you believe HE is the killer? What would he gain from killing farmers?"   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "Elgin has led a group of highwaymen that have plagued the roads of Tepest, and Nova Vaasa for the last five years. About four and a half months ago he and his band raided a silver mine on the northern border. They killed the four dwarves that ran the mine and made off with a fortune in silver. Shortly after that, two months later, Elgin went mad and killed all his men, seven of them. After that he started killing people who live north of the village. He has killed five in all. All lived on farms in the surrounding countryside"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "How much ya offering us?"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger elbows Duncan at the mention of the killing of the 4 dwarves   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "The offer is 1,000 gold to bring him in."   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "Elgin, has been a thorn in my side for the last 3 years, to put a stop to his marauding. I don't have enough town guards to spare more time to investigate the murders, so thus why I am making an offer."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "Is it dead or alive or preferred alive?"   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "That is all I can tell you about what we know, and that the victims all died of stab wounds."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "So you think he is  ALONE  and killing these people - just as acts of chaos - no other good reasons?"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "How far apart (and how long ago) were each of the farmer deaths?"   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "If he must be killed because he can't be captured, that will be alright, you still get the gold.", “ Yes we believe he acted alone, it is possible he has gone mad. The farmers death occurred most recently the last one just two weeks ago, over a span of about a couple each week before the last.”   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "I will of course require proof."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Of course"   Dungeon Master (GM): a moment latter the town guard announces that his next meeting, a fellow named Ingeld has arrived.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Have these farmers all been bachelors? None had families? Or were whole families wiped out? "   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "Ok, folks nice talking to you, good luck on finding Elgin.""   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "I see you have another appointment. Consider us "on the job". Thank you"   Dominond The Human Wizard Says, "Just the heads of the households were killed."
Duncan Steelbeard: Duncan nods gets up to leave   Town Guard The Human Opens door   Town Guard The Human Says, "Alright folks, move along now."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger gets up and heads out, leaning over to whisper to Duncan   Duncan Steelbeard: Duncan walks out   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "I guess we visit the widows of the murder victims in the morning, eh?"   Dungeon Master (GM): As you leave you take note of Ingeld, whom greets the party on the way out: Ingeld is a tall plump man, with a shaven head and a pointed red beard. He wears a tunic style robe, that comes down to a few inches below his knees. Ingeld’s robe has gold and silver coins sown to its trim. The rest of the robe is a deep crimson.   Ingeld High Priest Of Choosir The Human Cleric Says, "Greetings Folks nice to meet you."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger returns Ingeld's greeting as they pass   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fghter Says, "We hunt him down like the animal he is and beat the story out of im"   Ingeld High Priest Of Choosir The Human Cleric Walks into the Reeve’s office.   Ok so do you head back to the inn?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Hunting down animals is certainly my field!"   Estrel Tol: Is this a good point to quit for the week? Once we have returned to the inn?   Dungeon Master (GM): certainly we can stop here i see it's almost 11 here! good place to stop! I am going to need to do something about the character making   Duncan Steelbeard: ok CYA Next Week then guys   Estrel Tol: Take care, be safe. See you all in a week!   Devin M.: Yep, bye.