Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 3/13: Rollable Tables & Dice Tokens for Subscribers, Rendering/Sync Improvements, Polygon FoW, Z-Order Fixes, and MORE!

There's a new update out today that introduces a number of performance enhancements and new features. Rollable Tables and Dice Tokens for Subscribers If you've got access to the advanced features on Roll20 through your subscription (e.g. Dynamic Lighting), today you're getting access to the new Rollable Tables. We're not bringing this to everyone yet because it's not finished and there's no documentation, but we do want to gather some additional feedback. Rollable Tables allow you to create a table of items that you can then "roll" to choose from in the chat box. To set it up, you'll find a new "Rollable Tables" header under the "Cards and Tables" tab on the right sidebar (the icon that looks like a list). Add a new table, then add a few items, and you're set. You can optionally upload an icon for each item and we'll show that instead of the text when you roll the table, great for creating custom dice. After you create the table, the syntax to roll it is "/roll 1t[tablename]". Obviously you can change "1t" to "3t" to roll it 3 times, or any other number.&nbsp; In addition to the Rollable Tables, we're also introducing Dice Tokens. This allows you to drag and drop dice from the chat window (the same ones you can re-order) onto the tabletop. Doing so creates a little token that looks like that dice, which you can then use as a game piece. You can also change the "side" of the token shown, or "roll" the token to get a random result. And if you create a Rollable Table, you'll also find a "Token" button in the sidebar which will let you create a token for that table and do the same things. We are planning to add on additional functionality which will let you create other types of multi-sided tokens without needing to create a Rollable Table first (so you could have a token of a werewolf that has a "normal" and a "transformed" side, for example). Let us know what you think! Special thanks to Balladeer of the Mod team for creating the graphics that are used for the dice tokens! (Everything below this line is being released to all users today, not just subscribers). Rendering/Sync Improvements We've made some tremendous improvements to the way that we both render and sync data across users and back to our servers. This should result in some really great performance increases, especially for maps that have several hundreds of objects. You'll start to see faster load times in general as well. There's nothing you have to do to take advantage of these new improvements, they'll just automatically take place as you use Roll20. Do let us know if you see any new glitches in your campaigns today, although we don't expect any. Polygon FoW Tool We're going to be releasing some new improvements to the FoW tool and Dynamic Lighting over the next couple of updates, and the new feature in today's update is the ability to use a Polygon tool to reveal FoW areas. There's also a new "Clear" button in the FoW menu, which will reset the map back to completely hidden. I would recommend doing this, and then re-revealing areas with the new polygon tool, if you really abused the square tool by, for example, revealing hundreds of small areas to match a diagonal hallway. Better Z-Order Handling We've completely re-worked the way that z-ordering works, so you shouldn't have any further issues with leaving a campaign and coming back later to find that things have re-arranged themselves. In addition using To Front and To Back is now a quick and seamless experience, even if you have a large campaign with hundreds of objects. Help Videos! Kristin on the Mod Team has done a fantastic job of creating some great new help videos that cover some basic and advanced Roll20 topics. You can check out the full list on the new "Roll20Help" YouTube channel:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxYefyArg-d3nE-y4HcXNx189cHHcuk2a" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxYefyArg-d3nE-y4HcXNx189cHHcuk2a</a> Looking for Group Mini-Forums Now each LFG listing has its own little mini-forum (similar to the ones for Campaigns). We've done away with the "Apply to Join this Campaign" feature, instead opting for this. Anyone can post into this forum, so perspective players can post their application right on there. The campaign's GM can also post additional information, requirements, etc. Once the player has been invited to join the Campaign (via the invite tools), they'll be able to see and post in the Campaign's forum with the other campaign players. And Even MORE! In case you missed it yesterday, Roll20 is now fully SSL across the virtual tabletop, forums, and Marketplace. More here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/84791/roll20-is-now-fully-ssl#post-85614" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/84791/roll20-is-now-fully-ssl#post-85614</a> Items on the Tokens/Objects and the GM Notes layer will now render ABOVE the grid if you have the grid enabled. So the grid will only cover things on the Maps layer. The Marketplace now features downloads for entire sets all at once for sets that you've purchased and are download-enabled. Just go to the Set's page and use the handy new "Download Set" link. Group snapping has been improved, now items in a group will always retain their relative positions to each other when snapping, and the entire group will be snapped to the grid by default. When using the Align to Grid tool, you now have the option of editing the values in the boxes before accepting the changes, great for fixing the numbers if it's off by a pixel or two after you draw your box. The upload progress bar now actually works when you upload things to Roll20 so you can see how much time is left in the upload. There's now a "Duplicate Deck" button to allow you to quickly make a copy of an existing deck in your Campaign. The zoom tool has been slightly re-worked, now when you use the Alt+Scrollwheel zoom or the zoom drop-down, it should try to keep you at least somewhat centered on the same location. ...plus of course the usual smattering of handy bug fixes and minor tweaks. Thanks for your support of Roll20, and enjoy!
This is now live on the Main server :-)
First of all great stuff! "We are planning to add on additional functionality which will let you create other types of multi-sided tokens without needing to create a Rollable Table first (so you could have a token of a werewolf that has a "normal" and a "transformed" side, for example). Let us know what you think!" This would be super-nice especially if you don't restrict the number of sides just like you don't with the rollable table. " And if you create a Rollable Table, you'll also find a "Token" button in the sidebar which will let you create a token for that table and do the same things." I feel like an idiot but how? I click the token button and nothing happens. Its nice that you can sum etc. with the table roller but it would be better (more useful) if the result would be changed back to the table "value". Eg make a table with a and b. a gets the value 1 and b 2 (at least it seemed to be this way correct me if I'm wrong). You can roll from that table and ad +1 and if you rolled a the outcome is 2 (1+1) and if b it's 3 (2+1). It would be nice if you rolled a the outcome would be b (1+1=2; 2=b).
So does every item in the rollable table have an equal probability of being selected ?
If the purpose is to do a custom die then that would have to be true. Also my super-quick testing supports this.
Warren C. said: So does every item in the rollable table have an equal probability of being selected ? Yes.
Is it just me or is Roll20 getting better and better every day? My hat is off for the team, they are doing great work :)
Riley... you are a god... of VTT!!!&nbsp; Will the rollable tables be permanent only to the campaign they are made for? Are they transferrable to other campaigns, or do they have to be recreated?&nbsp; And lastly, if either of those are a yes, dang nambit, I'm gonna have to sub again asap! I might even have to gift my DM with a sub...
Thank you!
Wow O_O! that is a big update, thank you so much Orr Group! Question though; Can Mentor/Subscriber Players use Rollable Tables if the GM isnt a Subscriber?
Jay B. said: Wow O_O! that is a big update, thank you so much Orr Group! Question though; Can Mentor/Subscriber Players use Rollable Tables if the GM isnt a Subscriber? You're welcome! As with Dynamic Lighting, it's based on the campaign's GM.
Sorry last question...&nbsp; Will the results from the created tables be on a 1 time occurance, that is to say can each result happen multiple consecutive times?&nbsp; Or does each result ONLY happen once until the entire table's full results are depleted?
Bobby A. said: Will the rollable tables be permanent only to the campaign they are made for? Are they transferrable to other campaigns, or do they have to be recreated?&nbsp; Right now it's per-campaign. We do have future plans to add some tools to help transfer pieces like this between campaigns, though. And at the very least in the near future you'll be able to copy the campaign and include the Rollable Tables in the copy like you can right now with Decks. Bobby A. said: And lastly, if either of those are a yes, dang nambit, I'm gonna have to sub again asap! I might even have to gift my DM with a sub... That would be great, of course. I will also say, if you WANT it to do more, and want to have more influence in how these features actually end up, being an ongoing Mentor subscriber is the best way to be in on that discussion. Mentors have had this functionality for a couple of weeks now and have been giving us feedback and helping us fine-tune it. Bobby A. said: Sorry last question...&nbsp; Will the results from the created tables be on a 1 time occurance, that is to say can each result happen multiple consecutive times?&nbsp; Or does each result ONLY happen once until the entire table's full results are depleted? No, ever time the table is rolled, it's an independent outcome. The card decks work in the way you describe (where you can't draw the same "card" over until the deck has been reshuffled).
Cha-Ching! Subbing now...
Woot! My favorite update yet.
Nice work. :)
\o/
Wow, that's a heck of an update! Great work guys!
Awesome! Awesome! &nbsp;
Sweet, can't wait to try it out this weekend! My brother and I joint DM a campaign, switching on and off. If it's all I'm hoping it is, I'll probably subscribe. Since I'm a DM, would the campaign get all the bonuses of a subscriber? or since my brother&nbsp;originally&nbsp;created the campaign, would he have to be the one with a subscription?
random encounter tables. nice.
Wow, seeing a performance increase for the sync an order handling will really speed things up! (especially since most of my maps a freaking complex...) I've tried a bit with the new rollable table and I wonder...Is there a way to set the number of time an item can be picked up? For example: I've tried it with 3 different items, give it a roll, and came up with the first item 3 times... I suppose you can increase the odds of picking an item by adding the same item more than once on the table (the same things with the cards), but is there a way to control the actual pick up numbers? Oh and another thing I would suggest: A way to pick an item or card and give it directly to the player (or put on the map). Before the rollable tables, I did my own random tables via the card system, but if I wanted to give a specific card to someone, I had to give them random until the card came up. I suppose this might be interesting with the new table system as well. And by the way, congratulations for your fabulous system! It just keeps getting better and I definitely do not regret my subscription. (Although I regret I didn't knew about you guys earlier, I would have kickstarted right away!
Rollable tables do not get depleted when you roll on them. Card decks do however.
Ok guys, understood! I am gonna support you from today! You rock!
Hey guys! &nbsp;The rollable tables are sweet! &nbsp;Here's what it looks like when I roll them. &nbsp;Do I have too much text entered for some of them? &nbsp;Also, the dice tokens aren't working properly on my campaign. &nbsp;When I try to drag the die to the table top, my cursor highlights everything in the chat bar. &nbsp;Thanks again for all of your hard work! &nbsp;Also, enjoyed this week's podcast. &nbsp;
Hmmm...yeah, it was really designed for more like one or two words, not a whole sentence :-). Thant said, I'll take a look and see if I can make it work better with that. You're trying to drag the dice after doing like /roll 1d20, right? The dice that have a dice icon behind them?
The tooltip die roll option I've asked for would be awesome for rollable tables...
Riley D. said: Hmmm...yeah, it was really designed for more like one or two words, not a whole sentence :-). Thant said, I'll take a look and see if I can make it work better with that. You're trying to drag the dice after doing like /roll 1d20, right? The dice that have a dice icon behind them? I'm having trouble with dragging dice as well. Tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Can't wait for a visual tweak with the way roll table results are displayed in chat! My crit/fail table flavor text can get pretty lengthy.
Thanks for the great updates... Looks like I picked the right people to support. Wish I could afford more but as a poor college student you'll have to wait till I finish with my degree... yet I will continue with what I can as long as you all continue with such great improvements.&nbsp; Again Thanks
Oliver O. said: I'm having trouble with dragging dice as well. Tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Again, just making sure that you're dragging the dice that have the dice icon behind them? And not a rolled token dice or something?
Yup, any dice with the dice icon behind them. I can't even reorder them. I experimented with it on the Dev server a while back and just checked again discovering that it still works for me there but not on the normal server.
Oliver O. said: Yup, any dice with the dice icon behind them. I can't even reorder them. I experimented with it on the Dev server a while back and just checked again discovering that it still works for me there but not on the normal server. Can you tell me the name of the Campaign on Main where it's not working for you? I'd like to log in and take a look.
Sure, the campaign name is Broventure Time. Thanks, Riley.
Love the new polygon reveal. &nbsp;I did want to set up a rollable table that would print out text but all it was doing was printing out the number of the item. &nbsp;How do I get it to print out something different?
Hey Riley, got the dice tokens to work. &nbsp;The option was automatically checked under "My Settings" when it came into effect, so I unchecked the box then rechecked it. &nbsp;Works fine, now :)
^ Thanks for that! It fixed it for me too. Strange bug.
So Brandon and Oliver -- had either of you ever unchecked that box before on purpose? Or you're saying it was never unchecked, but you had to uncheck it and-recheck it to fix the problem?
For me, it was never unchecked. &nbsp;I didn't even realize the box was there. &nbsp;Once I saw it, I thought, "Hell, why not?" and unchecked it then rechecked it. &nbsp;That fixed the problem.
Same story for me. I had never messed with it before and unchecking it then rechecking it did the trick. Some additional info that could be useful: before I found out the fix from Brandon, I introduced the new feature to my players last night during our game and wanted to see if dragging dice worked for them. They were able to do it with no problem while I still couldn't.
Sometimes a table isn't meant to have an equal opportunity for each outcome possible. For example: using the GURPS body hit location you roll 3d6 and consult the table. The table is organized so the least common rolls hit vital or 'rare occurrence' parts of the body. And the higher rate rolls hit the torso and 'common occurrence' parts of the body. On the 'outsides' of the table a roll of 3-4 hits the skull. A roll of 17-18 hits the neck. (separate rolls also target the face, hands and feet.) But rolls between 6-14 are broken up into the right and left legs and arms, groin and torso. Rolling 3d6 is much more likely to fall somewhere between these 'body hits.' The table is broken down into 11 separate outcomes. The table is based on rolls that are 'more likely.' I'm not giving any suggestion about how the roll tables should work. I'm only suggesting some tables might not benefit from roll tables. Unless you attach actual dice to the roll. Then the result on the dice 'consults' and brings up the result from the table 'on their own.'&nbsp; Otherwise a lot of fun should come out of roll tables!
Scott P, check out the newest update post on the Mentor forums. You might find some stuff you'll like concerning rollable tables.
Ask and Ye Shall Receive! Ha ha!
Just a quick thanks to the devs. Polygon FoW and hiding the name of tokens in the turn order were topics I previously voted for along with other members of the community so thanks for listening to us :)
Obsidian said: Just a quick thanks to the devs.&nbsp; You're welcome! Obsidian said: hiding the name of tokens in the turn order... I forgot I even did that, heh. :-)
Riley D. said: There's a new update out today that introduces a number of performance enhancements and new features. (. . .) Items on the Tokens/Objects and the GM Notes layer will now render ABOVE the grid if you have the grid enabled. So the grid&nbsp; This is an awesome number of updates. And to have game assets like images above the grid contributes to understanding the Roll20 image canvas as a tabletop, and not as a map per se. &nbsp;Because having the grid always there, upong everything, even for GM Notes, conveyed the feeling of "this place is a map and only a map".&nbsp; Now, after this update, game handouts placed at the Roll20 canvas like Notes, partial scans of books, and images of any kind, can peacefully coexist with maps and tokens without suffering the interference of a grid: This is great in my opinion.
Scott P. said: (. . .) For example: using the GURPS body hit location you roll 3d6 and consult the table. This has been commented earlier, but just in case, since creating these tables involves a considerable prep-work, it would be great if we have the capability of save these tables for sharing them with other gamemasters and players by means of a sort of shareable&nbsp; .roll20 file, and to transfer these tables to different campaigns without needing to creating them again from scratch.
+1 on Axel's comment. That would be ideal.
I've found that so long as you're talking about even probability multiples, you can manage pretty well. I'm trying out using the tables for concealment rolls in Pathfinder (i.e., do you hit when the target is invisible or concealed?). Since full concealment is a 50/50 thing, w e always have the mini debate each time about whether high is a hit and low is a miss or low is a miss and high is a hit. With the table, I have two values: "Hit" and "Miss." That eliminates all confusion.&nbsp;Likewise, with partial concealment (20% miss chance), I simply made a table with five entries. Four say "Hit" and one says "Miss." Again, confusion eliminated.&nbsp; And speaking of confusion, I have an enchanter in my group, so the Confusion spell is a commonplace one. Having the results of being confused in a table that will pop out the result is great and saves me from having to look it up each time.&nbsp; So yea, I like the tables a lot. I do agree with the others, however, that it'd be great to be able to save them. &nbsp;