Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Unable to see any opacity of darkness as GM on SOME pages

1588185139

Edited 1588701141
Later Edit: Looks like switching to the new dynamic lighting fixed it! Quick Edit: Okay, not sure about the vocabulary here, but I believe what I'm referring to is called the GM Darkness Overlay. It's not working, but only on some pages. I have a few pictures to illustrate my problem, but I'll explain first. On some pages in my Waterdeep Dragon Heist game, I can see a low-opacity version of the shadows my players experience due to the dynamic lighting on the page. That way, I also have an idea of what they are able to see. On other pages, I don't get that shadow effect at all. Players see darkness and their 360 degree vision works fine, I just don't get the GM version of that view. Messing with the opacity of dynamic lighting or FoW in the page settings has no effect (I'm not using FoW btw). Images below: This is what I want to see, the mid-opacity shadows and player's clear vision: This is the dynamic lighting setup I made: Here is what the player sees: And finally, here is what I currently see as GM: SO, how do I get that effect from the first image to show up on the other pages where it's not happening automatically? Thanks a lot! Hope it's some simple thing I'm just not seeing, but it's been a problem for a few weeks.
I may be wrong here, but the exact effect of the first picture doesn't work with dynamic lighting because the shadow effect in dynamic lighting maps prioritize the actual darkness and twilight rather than player's sight. To actually have the map grow dimmer, you'll have to disable the global illumination in the page's options, increase the darkness opacity and add a few objects with a light source. Then the map will grow darker where the light begins to fade. Other than that, for transparency like the one shown in the first picture doesn't work with dynamic lighting (I'm not sure about Advanced Fog of War, though).
Actually, the effect I was looking for works perfectly in the new version of dynamic lighting (as of 5/2020). It's still a little glitchy, but I'm able to pretty reliably see my players' and NPCs' sight lines. So, it seems to be fixed by using the new DL. Thanks for your answer, though.