Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ctrl+L/Cmd+L not working anymore for free accounts?

Hello there! I'm pretty new here in Roll20, so probably I'm doing something wrong. But after the last release on april 28, I realized that Ctrl+L/Cmd+L stopped working for me. I'm not sure it's a bug or this function was moved to paid accounts. Is there anyone suffering with that? Just to clarify, last week I tried it and worked fine. I also selected the token before trying the shortcut.

Edited 1588279413
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you are the GM in a game created by a Plus or Pro user, you would have dynamic lighting available. Nothing was changed to remove the CTRL-L function or limit it to paid accounts, and I just tested on a free account and was able to use it for both Updated Dynamic Lighting and Legacy Dynamic Lighting. What browser and OS are you using? Do you have any browser extensions enabled? Note that there is a known issue with CTRL-L on Firefox, as Firefox recently made a change to make CTRL-L focus on the address bar. If your page doesn't have dynamic lighting enabled, CTRL-L will focus on the address bar.
Hello, Stephanie. Thanks to answer my question. I've been trying to use it on Chrome and Safari. Only Chrome has extensions, but in both it didn't work. My OS is Mojave. I'm not using dynamic light, cuz I don't have Plus or Pro account. I'm trying to use it on fog of war. Im pretty sure that I used it last week, so I don't get why I can't now. I realized that ctrl-l is focusing on the address bar like you said it may happen on Firefox.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for the follow up. What happens when you press CTRL-L in Chrome with the token selected and fog of war enabled?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Control L has same behavior on Chrome, at least on Chromebook: highlights the address bar.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks, Keith. I can confirm that happens on Chrome on Windows, too.        
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Just to confirm, you are on a map page that has Dynamic Lighting enabled, correct?  Can you paste a screenshot of the Page configuration, and the light settings on the token you're selecting when you hit Ctrl-L?
I used to be able to use Ctrl-L to cover the grey area of Fog of War in complete darkness (Firefox, Free Roll20 account) but now I am unable to. I wonder what happened.
Hey, Aaron. I'm not using Dynamic Lighting cuz I don't have acesses to it (free account). My problem is the same of Claudio. It's also happen on Chrome and Safari.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I have a feeling that Ctrl-L had some interaction with Fog of War that many free users were taking advantage of, but which wasn't intentional and stopped working when other things were changed.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Claudio and Rafael: I understand you're unable to use CTRL-L. What exactly happens when you press CTRL-L on a page where Fog of War is enabled? ("It doesn't work" is less descriptive than "the address bar is selected" or "nothing happens at all" or "my screen goes black" or whatever). Screen shots are helpful here, too. I want to make sure you and I are getting the same results. 

Edited 1588365339
Hi, Stephanie. I had actually made a post earlier about this issue: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8574464/using-ctrl-l-highlights-the-url-on-top-instead-of-revealing-the-players-view" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8574464/using-ctrl-l-highlights-the-url-on-top-instead-of-revealing-the-players-view</a> Pressing Ctrl-L covered the greyed out area of Fog of War in complete darkness, so I could see how players were seeing (same result as if the opacity of the Fog of War were set all the way to the max). Left clicking anywhere else on the map changed the darkness back to it being greyed out. Pressing Ctrl-L now just highlights the search bar/url on top instead. Thanks for checking it out.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks. That tracks with what I'm seeing. I've logged it and confirmed that this was changed with Tuesday's code push.
Could it be possibile to map the shortcut to another key, just to give it a try?

Edited 1588704990
Or at least make a non-shortcut option also available. EG. you right-click on the token and there is an option to view it's LOS. Thanks.
Is there an update with the issue of CTLR+L not working or is it a case of upgrading to a paid account?
Control+L continues to work for pages that have dynamic lighting enabled. The issue appears to be that its use on pages utilizing basic Fog of War has been disabled, regardless of your account.
In a recent build, Chrome added ctrl+L as a shortcut to highlight the address bar. Roll20 never gets to see the input. Pro status, lighting type, none of that matters.&nbsp; Go to any website in any tab using Chrome, press ctrl+L and the result is the same. Hopefully the R20 team can move the shortcut to a different keybind, but they already have a list a mile long of things to do, and having the browser suddenly throw bugs at them just makes it worse.&nbsp;
No, Ctrl-L has been a keyboard shortcut in Chrome and Firefox for years. This was recent change on Roll20's end where they stopped intercepting Ctrl-L unless the page has Dynamic Lighting enabled on it. Many people (Roll20 included) did not realize that some users were using Ctrl-L with regular Fog of War, so this change was unintended. Roll20 is looking at it. We don't know what they will do, but I am sure that if they are able to restore this functionality they will.
Able to replicate as follows: As GM, using Firefox + VTTES, preparing a new map with dynamic lighting and advanced fog or war; Used Ctrl+L on a player token with sight and could see through everything. Switched to normal fog of war and all went black except token. Turned off advanced fog of war and normal fog of war, left dynamic lighting and Ctrl+L worked without being able to see through walls. May be related to Roll20 working on new dynamic lighting system?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That sounds like exactly the behavior you should be seeing, given the loss of Ctrl-L on FoW. What different behavior were you expecting? Also note that for assistance on Roll20 issues, you should try without extensions loaded, particularly third party ones that alter the functionality of Roll20.
keithcurtis said: That sounds like exactly the behavior you should be seeing, given the loss of Ctrl-L on FoW. What different behavior were you expecting? Also note that for assistance on Roll20 issues, you should try without extensions loaded, particularly third party ones that alter the functionality of Roll20. Thx Keith!&nbsp; I switched over to Chrome and the player token could not see through the Dynamic Lighting walls when I hit Ctrl+L with AFOW turned on. Bummer, I really love VTTES especially the animated maps and vertical scrolling Page Toolbar.&nbsp; Hint Hint Roll20!
Hey, very similar issue. Dynamic lighting turned on, I have a token sitting in the middle of the room with vision turned on and night vision enabled. I've drawn walls all around the room with the polygon tool. I click control L and nothing, just a token in the black.
Hey fam, I also had issue; however, oddly I somehow just got it to work.&nbsp; ¯\_(ツ)_/¯&nbsp;&nbsp; Unchecking everything then re-checking all the things.&nbsp; And now it's working as expected. I'm a Pro Subscriber.&nbsp; I've been fiddling with the fancy new dynamic lighting stuffs.&nbsp; Anywho's, today I had noticed that hitting ctl L was sending me to the address bar.&nbsp; Windows 10 Pro, Firefox Latest Version.&nbsp; I went into the lighting settings of the token and the map page, unchecked, re-checked, and now it's working correctly.&nbsp; I can hit ctrl L to see what the token sees, it shows the lighted up area and darkness beyond that and doors / walls block the vision as expected.&nbsp; Not sure if that helps anyone. Settings: Map Settings = New Dynamic Lighting and Explorer Mode Token Settings = Everything set in Advanced Tab.&nbsp; Emits light 60' 60' 360.&nbsp; All Players see light is checked.&nbsp; Has sight is checked, angle 360 multiplier 1.&nbsp; advanced fog of war 60'.&nbsp; Dynamic Lighting Updated Tab. Vision On Night Vision On and set to 60' I'm fairly certain I'm not supposed to have every single thing like that checked; buuuuuuut it works sooooo there's that.&nbsp; high five!&nbsp; hope this helps!&nbsp; :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Chris F. said: Hey, very similar issue. Dynamic lighting turned on, I have a token sitting in the middle of the room with vision turned on and night vision enabled. I've drawn walls all around the room with the polygon tool. I click control L and nothing, just a token in the black. Have you activated regular fog of war? If so, have you cleared an area?