Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro for Hero System to declare hit location

New to Roll20, Exclusively HERO SYSTEM player, and I would love a basic macro that rolls 3d6 and then shows only the location name it hits. i.e. 3="head" 4="head" 5="Head" 6="Hands" 7="Arm" 8="Arm" etc...
Using a rollable table you can generate hit locations.Setting the weights for all possible results based on 3d6 may require a little math but so long as your weights add up to 216 you've cover all possible outcomes of 3d6. (6x6x6 = 216).
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Or you could just google "3d6 distribution" if you're not fond of smoking math!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The only way to do this without Pro subscriber access is with a rollable table. You can set up a table with entries for each location, and in the weight column, the relative chance of rolling that. If you want to show the actual number rolled, you'd do it like this: Item Head (3) Head (4) Head (5) Hands (6) Arms (7) Arms (8) Shoulder (9) Chest (10) Chest (11) Stomach (12) Vitals (13) Thighs (14) Legs (15) Legs (16) Feet (17) Feet (18) Weight 1 3 6 10 15 21 25 27 27 25 21 15 10 6 3 1 If you want to combine different numbers so all head results are the same, just add their weights together. If you want to use the other HERO system locations, you need to create a different table for each location roll. There's no way to apply modifiers in roll20's table rolls. You'd just need to figure out the weights for the relative rolls, and HERO just uses 2d6 and d6. For d6, the weights are all 1. For 2d6, the weights of each roll  are Roll 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Weight 1 2 3 4 5 6 5 4 3 2 1 You'd just need to compare those to the actual table roll (like one of HERO's rolls is 2d6+1, so in that case a result  of 3 has a weight of 1, because the dice actually rolled 2 there). Hope this helps!
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I was going to ask which body parts got which weighting, then decided I didn't really need to know. Turns out I was right - I'm now even more insecure about the size of my vitals. Are they really supposed to be 33% easier to hit than both thighs put together? This sounds like an awful world to live in.

Edited 1590392690
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
hehe, yes, there are some questionable probabilities, but vitals doesnt necessarily mean that. It's also referring to vital organ hits - the heart, lungs, etc. At least that's how I interpret it. It's unfortunate that the sequencing (chest - stomach - vitals - legs) leads to that assumption, when I think its there because it gives smaller odds than stomach and chest. Think about it: there's no reason that a hit there  should be as deadly as a hit to head. It could be painful sure, but its not more deadly than a head or even chest hit. But a hit to vital organs - that is deadly, and even includes the word vital . The clue is in the name. Then again, HERO is a genre for heroes that are larger-than-life...
yes, Vitals, doesn't mean crotch necesarilly.  Because quite frankly getting hit in the old gonadikans is not nearly as life-threatening as other vital organs, and in hero the vitals is the  second worst place to get hit next to your head. I have no idea what a Rollable Table is, but I will look it up at your link and see if I can't figure it out, thanks for the help.   P.S.  We have a few guys in our game who do have PRO licenses I believe.  

Edited 1590394882
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A campaign's API access is set by the game's creator. If the Game's creator is Pro you have access to the the API, and then you can use the damage script I wrote a while back, which handles all hit location and damage rolls, reporting relevant body, stun, and knockback or knockdown:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6009891/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6009891/</a> Example output (the --- on the killing damage stun is because stun has already been calculated, but you need to know body multiple due to the way it works with resistance defences)
Thats amazing...&nbsp; I have ZERO idea how scripting or the Roll20 API works, as Im just starting to use it, and have only written the most basic macros so far.&nbsp; I'm an IT guy, but absolutely not a code jockey, so we will see if I can figure out how to take your script and actually add it to our campaign.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Good luck :)
&nbsp;Vitals is poorly named it should be hip because damage to&nbsp; femoral artery, hip bone, spinal column &nbsp;are bad and even modern medicine&nbsp;has problems fixing&nbsp;them in time to prevent death or crippling.&nbsp;