Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Cut and Paste text ends up all in one line

I searched for some answer to my editing problem but all the posts I found are old and closed and with no real information on how to solve this problem.  Its not just cut and paste text, happens also when I type directly into the bio section of a character. Theres no real formatting options available. Ive tried both on Chrom and Firefox and still have the same problem. Any help would be most appreciated as I use this section of the character sheet a lot!
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm not understanding the problem - do you mean if you type into the Bio section, when it gets to the edge of the window the text keeps typing off to the right, outside the bounds of the window, where you can no longer see it? So you would have to manually put in a carriage return (hit Enter) to move the cursor to the next line, as it will not do it automatically?
What happens is,  when I copy several lines of text and then past it onto the Bio section, those lines get pasted one on top of the other in a long string with no separation of lines. When I try to type text directly into the Bio section, since there is no auto wrapping, despite manually entering a carriage return, on the viewers side, there is just one loooong sentence with no break.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Try using Cmd/Ctrl-SHIFT-V when you paste. This pastes without formatting. It sounds like you are running into issues with character encoding between your source and the destination. In extreme cases, you can paste into a plain text editor (like notepad in Windows or TextWrangler on Mac) as an interim step. Those programs are very good at stripping unwanted encodation.

Edited 1591391558
keithcurtis said: Try using Cmd/Ctrl-SHIFT-V when you paste. This pastes without formatting. It sounds like you are running into issues with character encoding between your source and the destination. In extreme cases, you can paste into a plain text editor (like notepad in Windows or TextWrangler on Mac) as an interim step. Those programs are very good at stripping unwanted encodation. I have tried pasting the text onto a plain text editor to eliminate the formatting, but I still have the same issue. Ill try the Cmd/Ctrl-SHIFT-V you suggest. However there is also the issue of when I type directly to the Bio section I get the same problem, despite manually breaking the lines with the Enter key, so when the player sees the Bio all they see is a very loooooong string of overlayed text.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That sounds like something beyond Roll20, since it is not an issue I have seen reported elsewhere. Are you using either Chrome or Firefox, the supported browsers? Are you using unusual hardware? Or extensions that might be interfering?
I use Chrome, Ubuntu OS, never had this problem with purchased modules, This is happening on my new campaign, Im not using any character sheet, so perhaps thats the the point of the problem. Ive come across older posts with simialr formatting problems. But since those posts have been closed, I dont have any idea how or if the issues were solved.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
To rule out a browser issue, you should try this in Firefox also, if you haven't already. I copy/pasted your last post and can't duplicate your issue (made a test game with no character sheet): I am running Xubuntu 20.04.  Firefox is my primary browser, but I do have Chrome installed for tests like this.  If it doesn't work in Firefox either (ruling out your browser), there might be something off with that particular game.  You could try copying it to see if the problem persists in the copy.
hello all. I managed to find a workaround that solved my problem. It required saving the original text in a different format and using the Ctrl/shift paste that has been suggested. I dont type directly into the info box anymore either. I write all my text on note pad  then copy and past the text. My guess is that the problem is directly related to the fact that Im not using any pregenerated character sheet and that the blank character sheet template has formatting issues.  Again thank for the help. I guess this case is closed. LOL. Cheers!