Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ch. 5 Alee-Onna is Dead, The Magic Coins are Missing and Unseelie Sprites pester the Party on the Way to Candlestick Mountain

Phoenix (Izabel): We ended right as the door was busted open, yes?   Dungeon Master (GM): yes and Duncan is over at the window side of cottage   Phoenix (Izabel): We're all outside the house, yes? I know we're not the best at keeping track of location with the tokens outside of combat.   Phoenix (Izabel): Honestly I don't think I've ever played a game where all movement was meticulously tracked.   Dungeon Master (GM): yes all outside the house currently i will start with what Duncan finds at the window ok,now when Duncan rounds the corner the first thing he sees is that the window shutters are torn off and on the ground. As he moves closer he sees that the window itself has been smashed through with most of the debris falling inside the house. Duncan also notes a trail of blood along the window and ground outside heading into the apple orchard to the west   Estrel Tol: OOC - so the BOTTOM of the map is to the North? Just so we have our directions right?   Dungeon Master (GM): Duncan sees that Alee-Onna is laying on the floor in a pool of blood with her dagger still clutched in her hand and one hand near her neck.   Phoenix (Izabel): It'd be absolutely wonderful if Chandry can rush in there and pop a healing spell.   Dungeon Master (GM): yes, the map is flipped, i simply dropped it in as is, window side is west   Estrel Tol: That's fine. Thanks   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "Hey Everybody!1 I got a trail of blood and the Bards dead"   Devin M.: I haven't dealt with his spells, mostly because, I'm not sure how.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, now back to Estrel after he chopped through the door. What will his actions be after also seeing that Alee-Onna is laying on the floor in a pool of blood?   Phoenix (Izabel): Dead or dying, and did the werewolf already run out?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Dead? That fast. Wow."   Phoenix (Izabel): Assuming it was the werewolf   Dungeon Master (GM): There is no sign of a werewolf other than a trail of blood droplets leading to and out the window   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger will go to where Ducan points out the blood trail and will begin tracking it. Looking for any other signs of prints, etc.   Phoenix (Izabel): I'm honestly surprised that whatever attacked Alee Onna somehow got out without us hearing it Also is the apple orchard east or west? You said west but that means they ran around the entire house.   Devin M.: We did hear it.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, Estrel does note that Alee-Onna's throat was bit out just like Dunno's and go back outside to follow the blood trail   Phoenix (Izabel): We heard it run in but that was it Unless I missed something   Dungeon Master (GM): the prints are fresh so easy to follow   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "I don't think it broke out, the debris on the inside indicates it broke IN and then left again. FAST, that's for sure"   Dungeon Master (GM): you also heard it run away as you came near the house it's in the original description from last week   Phoenix (Izabel): Ah, alright.   Dungeon Master (GM): like you would hear a runner going by at the track   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Cleric - can you save Alee-Onna?"   Dungeon Master (GM): is the rest of the gang inside while duncan an Estrel are outside?   Chandry Quick-Foot: I am.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, Chandry notes that the bag of coins that Alee-Onna talked about are gone.   Phoenix (Izabel): Ah we had to cross 600ft to find the house first so that doesn't bode well for death's door, and I assume NPCs are dead at 0hp?   Chandry Quick-Foot The Hairfeet Halfling Cleric Of Lightning Says, "Knewit!"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Nocks an arrow in his shortbow, scanning the trees to the orchard   Phoenix (Izabel): And Izabel will, with her amazing zero medical knowledge, try to not have Alee Onna die if she hasn't already. Really  should've taken healing in hind sight.  
Dungeon Master (GM): No, I give them the -10 treatment...It's the baddies I typically say they are fully dead at 0 because no one will try to stabilize them at all.   Phoenix (Izabel): It took  5  turns for everyone with 120 speed to get to the house. And then 1-2 turns to break through the door I think?   NOTE: The base running speed would be: Running 360ft (unencumbered) /  270ft (armored or encumbered). On a realistic note: 9.58 seconds is the fastest for a 100 yard dash for Usian Bolt and 10.49 for Florence Griffith-Joyner. .   So since I have the combat rounds = to 6 seconds it would take the armored party characters 3 rounds to reach the house.   Dungeon Master (GM): In Alee's case i'll say that Chandry listens for a heart beat / pulse but there isn't one so his magics can't save her. i'll say 1 turn (~10 minutes for door) it's not thick it's just a cottage   Chandry Quick-Foot: +   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "If we can't save her now, we should pursue quickly. Perhaps those coins could bring her back - she said what - within 24 hours? Or before sunset?"   Dungeon Master (GM): alright, any other actions while inside the house?   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "Grab her dagger" shout in the window"   Dungeon Master (GM): [In case you don't remember: the coins need to be placed upon the eyes before sunrise.]\   Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Quickly snags Alee Onna's dagger.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok   Phoenix (Izabel): Is the dagger silver by any chance?   Dungeon Master (GM): will Izabel use that dagger from here on out? not silver but it's nice and shiny and well made.   Phoenix (Izabel): Sure   Dungeon Master (GM): aside of the blood on it of course   Phoenix (Izabel): Not that it helps much since she's not proficiency with daggers   Dungeon Master (GM): So yes, it appears she wounded the attacker ok She can of course hand them off to someone who is alright any more actions inside the house?   Phoenix (Izabel): None from Izabel. We best pursue the killer. If we really want to loot the house we can do so later.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, so looks like the party goes outside to meet Duncan and Estrel, whom leads the party as he tracks the wolf-like tracks   Chandry Quick-Foot: Search for spare food & coin. At least food.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, now the trail continues deep into the woods and let's see if a wondering encounter occurs (To GM)rolling  2 = 2   Phoenix (Izabel): She  did  have the basket full of food we delivered if you're dead set on looting food.   Dungeon Master (GM): no encounter in the woods so thus you reach a road that goes north   Duncan Steelbeard: follow the road north   Dungeon Master (GM): yea that looks like a long trip but it takes about 2 hours to get to the road   Phoenix (Izabel): I imagine we should follow the tracks instead, unless they also follow the road.   Dungeon Master (GM): yes the tracks go to the road and you no longer see them.   Estrel Tol: "If I had to guess, we'll be tracking this thing toward the Mine on Alee Onna's map   Dungeon Master (GM): so now you turn north and travel for about 1.5 hours when up ahead you see a wagon to the side of the road.   Estrel Tol: While following the tracks, did we notice when/if the blood trail ended? Or is there blood on the road as well?   Dungeon Master (GM): new map time   Chandry Quick-Foot: Is anyone driving or in the wagon?   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "The wolf probably went to the mine"   Dungeon Master (GM): no one is visible around the wagon. You do note that the horse is still hitched to the wagon but laying down in an odd way.   Chandry Quick-Foot: Probably dead...   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger uses his "adept with animals" to see if the horse is living and can be calmed and possibly brought back to its feet   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, as you approach the wagon, all of a sudden 3 strange flying creatures pop out at you coming from inside of the horse! They zip around like really aggressive hornets!   Phoenix (Izabel): Stirges?   Dungeon Master (GM): Estrel now assumes the horse is quite dead!
Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "We got a dead horse"   Dungeon Master (GM): nope, as they are humanoid in apparence!   Chandry Quick-Foot The Hairfeet Halfling Cleric Of Lightning Says, "Shit!!!"   Estrel Tol: Size?   Duncan Steelbeard: (Mad fairies?)   Phoenix (Izabel): Tiny I'd imagine   Estrel Tol: (OOC - good graphic. Thanks)   Duncan Steelbeard: Bad Fey hehe   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Stop! We are NOT here to take your meal away from you!"   Dungeon Master (GM): alright and so thus they are attack you all so we go into combat with initiative rolls here!   Phoenix (Izabel): You know, I never expected to want to trade an encounter for goblins rats. But here I am, wishing we hard the goblin rats instead.   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Estrel Tol the Human Ranger, gets ready to make an attack move! Weapon INIT Roll:  -5   Dungeon Master (GM): the one on Estrel does not head!   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Izabel Castorena the Human Thief, gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  8   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Chandry Quick-Foot the Hairfeet Halfling Cleric of Lightning, gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  -2   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Sprite (Unseelie) the Sprite (Unseelie) , gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  -2   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Duncan Steelbeard the Dwarf Fighter, gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  -5   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Sprite (Unseelie) the Sprite (Unseelie) , gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  -3   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Ricardo Jamez the Elf Ranger, gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  -5   Start of Round 1 Start of Turn 1 for Izabel Castorena (8)   Phoenix (Izabel): The heck are you guys all using with 7 Weapon Speed?   Duncan Steelbeard: Battle Axe   Dungeon Master (GM): sounds like short bows with that speed   Chandry Quick-Foot: Is that the speed of a spear. ?   Phoenix (Izabel): And Izabel will go ahead and attack Unseelie #1   Dungeon Master (GM): [they may have more than weapons though]   Izabel Castorena the Thief, attacks with the BROAD SWORD (3.5ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #01 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  6  For  7  S/M or  3  L HP Damage!   Dungeon Master (GM): you hit the sprite for 7 damage!   It seems that Sprite (Unseelie) #01 is defeated!   Phoenix (Izabel): Ay, not a bad start.   Start of Turn 1 for Sprite (Unseelie) #01 (-2)   Dungeon Master (GM): that one is now sliced in half on the ground   Start of Turn 1 for Chandry Quick-Foot (-2)   Chandry Quick-Foot: How far can I move?   Dungeon Master (GM): 120 ft right now 12 ft when in melee   Chandry Quick-Foot, Attacks with the SPEAR (6ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #03 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  1  For  6  S/M or  8  L HP Piercing Damage! Range if Thrown: 10 / 20 (-2) / 30 ft (-5 To Hit)  
Dungeon Master (GM): that is a hit for 6 and still alive but badly wounded! sigh, the tokens are tied so everyone of them will reduce in hp when i do one, they are supposed to be separate   Start of Turn 1 for Sprite (Unseelie) #03 (-3)   Sprite (Unseelie) #03 the , Attacks with the SHORT SWORD (4") at Chandry Quick-Foot enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  7  For  1  S/M/L HP Piercing Damage!   Phoenix (Izabel): I had that issue before. I spread around 100 or so Kobold tokens for a big map before realizing since they share sheets with the same hp they all work off of each other.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok he managed to hit you for 1 hp   Start of Turn 1 for Ricardo (-5)   Dungeon Master (GM): there is a way to unhook them so that they all go separate, i mention it at the end of combat   Phoenix (Izabel): Ooo, I'll have to check that   Dungeon Master (GM): anyone want to pick up Ricardo tonight?   Duncan Steelbeard: I will   Dungeon Master (GM): ok   Ricardo hits an AC of  9  or worse using his/her Bow, Long   Dungeon Master (GM): a miss!   Start of Turn 1 for Duncan Steelbeard (-5)   Duncan Steelbeard hits an AC of  6  or worse using his/her Battleaxe   Dungeon Master (GM): a hit for 4 dropping that sprite!   It seems that Sprite (Unseelie) #03 is defeated!   Start of Turn 1 for Estrel Tol (-5)     Estrel Tol the Ranger, Fires FLIGHT ARROW (18") with SHORT BOW (3ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #03 enemy! Point Blank Range is: 6ft to 30ft Strike Hits: AC  0  For  4  S/M/L HP Damage! Gets 2 arrow attacks per turn. Make sure to note # of arrows fired!   Round 1 2 nd Attacks:   Estrel Tol the Ranger, Fires FLIGHT ARROW (18") with SHORT BOW (3ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #02 enemy! Point Blank Range is: 6ft to 30ft Strike Hits: AC  8  For  4  S/M/L HP Damage! Gets 2 arrow attacks per turn. Make sure to note # of arrows fired!   Dungeon Master (GM): That missed   Start of Round 2 Start of Turn 2 for Izabel Castorena (8)   Dungeon Master (GM): ok as this round begins 3 more Unseelie Sprites, show up coming from the tree to the north east   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Sprite (Unseelie) the Sprite (Unseelie) , gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  -3   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Sprite (Unseelie) the Sprite (Unseelie) , gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  1   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Sprite (Unseelie) the Sprite (Unseelie) , gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  2   WEAPON INITIATIVE ROLL: Duncan Steelbeard the Dwarf Fighter, gets ready to make an attack move!   Weapon INIT Roll:  2   Duncan Steelbeard: (To GM)rolling 1d10+ 8  [Initiative (Bow, Long)]( 6 )+8 = 14   Dungeon Master (GM): Izabel can go ahead and move now   Izabel Castorena the Thief, attacks with the BROAD SWORD (3.5ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #02 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  14  For  4  S/M or  3  L HP Damage!   Dungeon Master (GM): that missed!   Start of Turn 2 for Sprite (Unseelie) #06 (2)   Dungeon Master (GM): ok that one will fire a single magic Missile at duncan hitting for  4  damage!   Start of Turn 2 for Sprite (Unseelie) #05 (1)   Dungeon Master (GM): Sprite #5 also fires a magic missile at duncan for  4  damage!   Start of Turn 2 for Sprite (Unseelie) #01 (-2)   Dungeon Master (GM): dead
Start of Turn 2 for Chandry Quick-Foot (-2)   Chandry Quick-Foot, Attacks with the SPEAR (6ft) at Chandry Quick-Foot enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  1  For  1  S/M or  1  L HP Piercing Damage! Range if Thrown: 10 / 20 (-2) / 30 ft (-5 To Hit)   Dungeon Master (GM): a hit for 1 damage! I think that is the first hit on that one   Chandry Quick-Foot: Didn't mean to aim for myself, but I figure you realized that.   Start of Turn 2 for Sprite (Unseelie) #03 (-3)   Dungeon Master (GM): yes yes ok that one will go for either, Chandry, Izabel or Duncan:  2 Chandry   Sprite (Unseelie) #02 the , Attacks with the SHORT SWORD (4") at Chandry Quick-Foot enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  13  For  1  S/M/L HP Piercing Damage! a miss and not the sword is only 4 inches long!   Start of Turn 2 for Sprite (Unseelie) #04 (-3)   Dungeon Master (GM): that one aims at Duncan with a Magic Missile for  2  damage dropping him! now it's ricardo's turn   Start of Turn 2 for Ricardo (-5)     Ricardo hits an AC of  17  or worse using his/her Sword, Long   Dungeon Master (GM): a miss!   Start of Turn 2 for Duncan Steelbeard (14)   Dungeon Master (GM): he's on the ground and needs stabilized! He is at -2 Hit Points now!   Start of Turn 2 for Estrel Tol (-5)   Estrel Tol the Ranger, Fires FLIGHT ARROW (18") with SHORT BOW (3ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #02 enemy! Point Blank Range is: 6ft to 30ft Strike Hits: AC  9  For  14  S/M/L HP Damage! Gets 2 arrow attacks per turn. Make sure to note # of arrows fired!   Estrel Tol the Ranger, Fires FLIGHT ARROW (18") with SHORT BOW (3ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #02 enemy! Point Blank Range is: 6ft to 30ft Strike Hits: AC  4  For  12  S/M/L HP Damage! Gets 2 arrow attacks per turn. Make sure to note # of arrows fired!   Dungeon Master (GM): a hit! that kills the sprite!   It seems that Sprite (Unseelie) #02 is defeated!   Start of Round 3     Turn 3 for Izabel Castorena (8)   Izabel Castorena the Thief, attacks with the BROAD SWORD (3.5ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #04 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  12  For  6  S/M or  5  L HP Damage!   Dungeon Master (GM): a miss! Start of Turn 3 for Sprite (Unseelie) #06 (2)   Sprite (Unseelie) #06, fires an ARROW (3") with the SHORT BOW (6") at Ricardo enemy! Long Range is 18ft to 25ft Strike Hits AC  1  for  1  S/M/L HP Damage! 2 shots per round fire rate a hit for 1 damage Start of Turn 3 for Sprite (Unseelie) #05 (1)   Sprite (Unseelie) #05, fires an ARROW (3") with the SHORT BOW (6") at Izabel Castorena enemy! Medium Range is 9ft to 17ft Strike Hits AC  4  for  1  S/M/L HP Damage! 2 shots per round fire rate a hit for 1   Start of Turn 3 for Sprite (Unseelie) #01 (-2)   Dungeon Master (GM): dead Start of Turn 3 for Chandry Quick-Foot (-2)   Chandry Quick-Foot, Attacks with the SPEAR (6ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #05 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  15  For  6  S/M or  5  L HP Piercing Damage! Range if Thrown: 10 / 20 (-2) / 30 ft (-5 To Hit)   Dungeon Master (GM): oh my a miss!   Start of Turn 3 for Sprite (Unseelie) #03 (-3)   Dungeon Master (GM): dead
Start of Turn 3 for Sprite (Unseelie) #04 (-3)   Sprite (Unseelie) #04 the , Attacks with the SHORT SWORD (4") at Izabel Castorena enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  11  For  2  S/M/L HP Piercing Damage! a miss Start of Turn 3 for Ricardo (-5)   Ricardo hits an AC of  2  or worse using his/her Bow, Long   Dungeon Master (GM): a hit   Ricardo rolls  2  damage using his/her Bow, Long!   Dungeon Master (GM): for 2 damage on sprite #06 right?   Duncan Steelbeard: yep   Start of Turn 3 for Duncan Steelbeard (14)   Dungeon Master (GM): he is at -3 hit points now   Start of Turn 3 for Estrel Tol (-5)   Estrel Tol the Ranger, Fires FLIGHT ARROW (18") with SHORT BOW (3ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #06 enemy! Point Blank Range is: 6ft to 30ft Strike Hits: AC  2  For  14  S/M/L HP Damage! Gets 2 arrow attacks per turn. Make sure to note # of arrows fired!   Dungeon Master (GM): that nails the sprite!   It seems that Sprite (Unseelie) #06 is defeated!     Estrel Tol the Ranger, Fires FLIGHT ARROW (18") with SHORT BOW (3ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #05 enemy! Point Blank Range is: 6ft to 30ft Strike Hits: AC  15  For  10  S/M/L HP Damage! Gets 2 arrow attacks per turn. Make sure to note # of arrows fired!     Phoenix (Izabel): So what's the 1d6*2 from?   Start of Round 4   Start of Turn 4 for Izabel Castorena (8)   Izabel Castorena the Thief, attacks with the BROAD SWORD (3.5ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #04 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  0  For  6  S/M or  7  L HP Damage! Ooo   Dungeon Master (GM): a critical hit roll of 20 for 12 double damage!   It seems that Sprite (Unseelie) #04 is defeated!     Start of Turn 4 for Sprite (Unseelie) #06 (2)   Dungeon Master (GM): dead   Start of Turn 4 for Sprite (Unseelie) #05 (1)   Sprite (Unseelie) #05 the , Attacks with the SHORT SWORD (4") at Chandry Quick-Foot enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  1  For  1  S/M/L HP Piercing Damage! a hit for 1 Start of Turn 4 for Sprite (Unseelie) #01 (-2)   Dungeon Master (GM): i'm experiencing lag on my end that one is dead Start of Turn 4 for Chandry Quick-Foot (-2)   Chandry Quick-Foot, Attacks with the SPEAR (6ft) at Sprite (Unseelie) #05 enemy! Strike Hits an AC of  7  For  2  S/M or  6  L HP Piercing Damage! Range if Thrown: 10 / 20 (-2) / 30 ft (-5 To Hit)   Dungeon Master (GM): a miss   Start of Turn 4 for Sprite (Unseelie) #03 (-3) Start of Turn 4 for Sprite (Unseelie) #04 (-3) Start of Turn 4 for Ricardo (-5)   Ricardo hits an AC of  4  or worse using his/her Bow, Long   Dungeon Master (GM): a hit   Ricardo rolls  4  damage using his/her Bow, Long!   It seems that Sprite (Unseelie) #05 is defeated!   Dungeon Master (GM): End of Combat!   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Duncan needs help. Cleric - can you assist?"   Dungeon Master (GM): ok yes Duncan needs to be stabilized here!
These guys can cast any spell of any level once per day other ones listed were lightning bolt, cloud kill and monster summoing   Phoenix (Izabel): Lightning Bolt against 1st levels?   Dungeon Master (GM): yep   Phoenix (Izabel): Ah, wait, scales with level doesn't it so it's weak I'd assume?   Dungeon Master (GM): as the sprites gets any one offensive spell to cast once per day   Dungeon Master (GM): if the spell scales yes or dm could simply make it weaker of course ok any looking around on this map?, the other sprites came from the tree to the north east   Dungeon Master (GM): you note 4 barrels in the wagon   Phoenix (Izabel): I've gotten' so used to 5E I was stunned that the module was giving an 8d6 damage spell to random encounters.   Duncan Steelbeard: Anyone have Healing?   Chandry Quick-Foot: I'm trying to figure that out.   Dungeon Master (GM): roll outdoor tracking estrel   Estrel Tol the Human Ranger, attempts to do some OUTDOOR TRACKING!   Estrel Tol's, attempt to Track Outdoors Roll: If a  70 % base chance + / - any modifier or less is rolled it is a Success! Terrain Modifiers: Soft enough to hold impressions (Footprints, etc) of creature being tracked: +20% Allow occasional marks or obvious signs of passage (broken twigs, bent grass, etc): +10% Allows only infrequent signs of passage due to rock, water, wind, other creatures Crossing or overtracking, etc: 0% Prevents all but the minutest traces of passage: -50% Other modifiers: For each creatures beyond the first in the group being tracked: +02% For every 12 hours elapsed since the trail was made: -05% For every hour of precipitation that has fallen on the trail between tracker & quarry: -25%   Dungeon Master (GM): ok roll a d100   Estrel Tol: rolling d100( 50 ) = 50   Dungeon Master (GM): ok you see a patch of the grass leading to the tree looking recently bent, like something was dragged to the tree as you approach let me check on a descriptiong   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Careful, my friends. There may be another victim of the sprites here."   Dungeon Master (GM): you note that rope is wrapped around the tree but do not see if anything is currently tied to it as you approach it Estrel   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Come, back me up, I am going in closer"   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, when you reach the tree you see that a human male has most of his skin flayed off from the waist up, and he is dead.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "UGH. How barbaric."   Phoenix (Izabel): Man this module does not mess around when it comes to a darker theme.   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Looks for anything that might aid in determining who this is. Any pouches, weapons (I doubt) or other items around the man.   Dungeon Master (GM): anything more for this map?   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "Damn Unseelies did this"   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "This may just be the wagonmaster, but whatever did this was evil. Plain and simple"   Dungeon Master (GM): from the pants and torn off shirt, he appears to simply be a farmer type another pix of the sprite   Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Says, "I'd imagine the crazed fairies busting out of the tree had something to do with it." Oh man you know it's evil when this one doesn't have pants   Duncan Steelbeard: He has pants no shirt   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Normally, he should probably be taken back to the undertaker. But we dare not delay to do that. Cleric, can you say some words over this poor soul, and perhaps we can take his remains back after we find Alee-Onna's killer as well"   Dungeon Master (GM): heh, i guess the pix of the single one doesn't wear pants! maybe he was going to the bathroom when you arrived! ok so is that it here? no look at what the cargo was?   Phoenix (Izabel): We'll do a quick once over of the cargo Not like the farmer needs it anymore   Chandry Quick-Foot: Chandry'll say something along the lines of rest in peace, but more thematically appropriate to his religion.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok it has 4 barrels of apples in it ok   Estrel Tol: OOC - have we passed other orchards or just the one around Alee-Onna's place?   Dungeon Master (GM): just the one at Alee-Onna's, you went through a forest to get to the road when following the tracks ok continue on up the road?   Duncan Steelbeard: Yes   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, 1.5 hours later (3 hours on the road) you come to the Corvis River and are at a ford area of which you see a bridge crossing the river with rail tracks upon it. there is no map of this area   Phoenix (Izabel): Rail tracks? As in a train?   Estrel Tol: Or a mine cart   Dungeon Master (GM): too small for a train   Phoenix (Izabel): Ah, that makes sense. You don't need a train to have a railroad. I was wondering how trains existed in Ravenloft for a moment   Dungeon Master (GM): well it could if you base it at a later time of course so it appears your only way to cross the river is to go over the bridge   Duncan Steelbeard: Can a Thief check for traps first?   Dungeon Master (GM): sure   Phoenix (Izabel): There probably won't be any traps, and Izabel's pretty crap at being a thief, but sure.   Dungeon Master (GM): Buddy just messaged me...he had a tornado come through, his yard is fucked up and has no power!   Izabel Castorena the Human Rogue, attempts to FIND or REMOVE a TRAP! Result Whispered to DM   (From Phoenix (Izabel)):  FIND/REMOVE TRAP:  13 % Needs ≤  20 %   Phoenix (Izabel): Huh. I'm pretty lucky with these for some reason.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, no trap is found as you cross the bridge   Phoenix (Izabel): And yikes, that's got to suck.   Duncan Steelbeard: Guess we cross the Bridge Hope he gets power back soon   Estrel Tol: But Buddy's house and family are ok?   Dungeon Master (GM): He said he doesn't have a place to go when one strikes, (cellar / safe room) yes, I guess so Chris   Chandry Quick-Foot: Is everything supposed to be black?
Estrel Tol: That had to be harrowing.   Dungeon Master (GM): well ok, i can reveal the river part at least   Phoenix (Izabel): Yeah. I can't believe they don't have public shelters or anything.   Dungeon Master (GM): you see a little bit of the tracks there you cross the bridge without a problme   Duncan Steelbeard: Look for any more tracks any more blood?   Dungeon Master (GM): no blood trail has been spotted since you left the forest actually and none here currently either   Duncan Steelbeard: is there any kind of trail to follow?   Dungeon Master (GM): just the cart tracks   Duncan Steelbeard: follow them I guess   Dungeon Master (GM): you see it gets steep in some places and there are sharp curves   Estrel Tol: Is the "black" here "inside the mountain"? Can we see where the cart tracks go?   Dungeon Master (GM): you should be seeing the cart tracks going up to the mine entrance   Duncan Steelbeard: Yeah we follow the cart trcks   Dungeon Master (GM): there is a new map for the mine entrance hold on as I bring it up and ok   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Well, we pretty much guessed this. I see no other alternative than to enter the mine. Anyone have other ideas?"   Devin M.: My other idea is calling it a night.   Estrel Tol: Interesting. They have a winch to bring the cart back from the bridge, but nothing that heads INTO the mine?   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "We ride the carts down, be faster"   Dungeon Master (GM): here is a level area in front of the mine, that is about sixty-five feet long by around fifty-five feet wide, at its widest point. The cart tracks run roughly down the middle of the ledge. The ledge is covered with coarse gravel, a byproduct of digging the mine.   Dungeon Master (GM): There are two mine carts sitting on the tracks near the edge of the ledge. They are attached to a cable, that runs up to a complex pulley system at the top of a twenty-foot wooden tower, and then on to a huge winch off to one side. The winch is over twenty feet wide. It is mostly made of   Dungeon Master (GM): an enormous spool of heavy cable, mounted on an iron platform. Next to the spool is a tall handle.   Dungeon Master (GM): well the tracks do go into the mine, so i guess there is another set of carts that go in but stop at the top any actions while here? ok   Estrel Tol: Guess we have to go in to find out.    Dungeon Master (GM): I believe it may still be light out as you enter and of course it's dark inside and you have that lantern with the continual light spell now.   Duncan Steelbeard: Duncan will check the carts over see if there workable   Phoenix (Izabel): Izabel will light her lamp.   Devin M.: I should call it a night meself, I've work tomorrow. Bye & goodnight.   Duncan Steelbeard: G night Devin   Dungeon Master (GM): they appear to be workable yes, there is a brake lever in each one in the full down position and heavy rope between the two connecting them.   Estrel Tol: G'night Devin. See you next week   Phoenix (Izabel): Good night o/   Dungeon Master (GM): then the rope cable continues out the back to the pulley on the track then to the winch Bye Devin!   Estrel Tol: Any residue inside the carts to indicate what they were carrying out? Just dirt/rubble, or something else?   Dungeon Master (GM): yes the carts certainly have mining residue inside of them! any more actions outside the mine here?   Duncan Steelbeard: nope   Dungeon Master (GM): alright so you do go inside with the hooded lantern open?   Duncan Steelbeard: yes   Phoenix (Izabel): 3/5 of us can't see without it I think   Dungeon Master (GM): alright and as you enter you see that the light has the walls glitter from the silver dust inside   Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Says, "Let's hope we find some leftover silver somehow."   Dungeon Master (GM): ok now i need someone to move that Party Token you see as you move around the mine here   Duncan Steelbeard: I will   Dungeon Master (GM): ok,  hold on
Phoenix (Izabel): I don't think we actually have access to it   Dungeon Master (GM): try moving it now there we go   Duncan Steelbeard: Left or right?   Dungeon Master (GM): as you go along here there is some blood here and there along the floor   Phoenix (Izabel): Does the blood lead left or right?   Dungeon Master (GM): yea you are seeing this from the top down at a small scale it leads to the right   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger checks to see how fresh the blood is. Recent or old and dried for days?   Dungeon Master (GM): roll a wisdom check on that Estrel Estrel?   WISDOM CHECK For Estrel Tol the Ranger Rolls:  5  Needs ≤  15   Dungeon Master (GM): ok it's good so what you see is that it's been there for awhile, some of it worn from other footsteps having come and gone since. ok you have arrived at an opening in the floor and you see a winch mechanism on either side of the shaft here. and rope going down into the shaft   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "I am not sure if our quarry has healed, or if they didn't come this way. I think this blood is older than today"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter starts winding the rope upwards   Dungeon Master (GM): any action at the shaft here? you can't cross over to the other side ok   Estrel Tol: Can we see "beyond" the hole? Or is this the end of the tunnel, with just the shaft going down?   Dungeon Master (GM): as you turn the winch you hear the mechanism creak and groan then hear something move below the shaft, you see the rope is going up and winding onto the spool here. looking down into the shaft you can not see the bottom. Looking foward past the shaft you see that the passage continues up to the limit of your lantern range   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger waits for the elevator car to rise, in the hopes that we can then cross over the shaft and further into the mountain.   Dungeon Master (GM): ok eventually you see that the cable rope hauls up an elevator car with mine tracks upon the floor to hold carts.   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Duncan keeps reeling the rope upwards onto the spool   Dungeon Master (GM): now what does the party do?   Duncan Steelbeard: first cross the hole go down later   Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Says, "I really don't want to go down there..."   Dungeon Master (GM): ok you are on the opposite side of the shaft / elevator car now   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Before we move on, can we secure this car here so we don't get stuck? Or can we reel it up from this side too?"   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "Dont be such a chickenshit ya wont be goin alone ya know"   Dungeon Master (GM): yes, that is why I mentioned there are two winches on each side, as it would be logical   Estrel Tol: thanks   Dungeon Master (GM): at that point you noticed several holes on either side of the passage, barely big enough for a gnome to sqeeze through. right or left?   Estrel Tol: How high off the "floor" are these holes? Can the lantern light be shined down them? Anything to be seen?   Dungeon Master (GM): they are pretty much level with the floor. yes you can shine into them and all you see is a small tunnel that bends at some point inside   Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Says, "I doubt Elgin would've fit into those; we should probably check the other path first."   Duncan Steelbeard: (Would Duncan have any idea what these holes are? (Knowledgable about stonework and all that?)   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Honestly, I don't like these. Too easy for something small, but dangerous to come up behind us. Kobolds, maybe? "   Dungeon Master (GM): ok, duncan can make a stone work roll on that
DETECT TRAPS Involving Pits, Falling Blocks and Other Stonework! For Duncan Steelbeard the Dwarf Fighter Chance to Detect=  50 % within  10 ft Rolls:  98 % : If a  50 % or less is rolled, it is a Success!   Dungeon Master (GM): at least it works now! ok so no trap is found dealing with at least one of the holes, say there are like two on each side each hole is within 10 ft of the other         Estrel Tol: Is there enough loose rubble in the tunnel to plug/block the small holes?   Dungeon Master (GM): no there is not Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Says, "Possibly. Dwarves wouldn't mind holes too small to fit into; I doubt these were made by the miners."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "Its not a trap, must be something else"   Dungeon Master (GM): any more actions with the holes? if not where does the party go?   Duncan Steelbeard: left or right?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Maybe it's for draining water? If you say it isn't a problem, then let's press on. I defer to you here under the mountains."   Duncan Steelbeard: Any sign of water? drips or pools?   Dungeon Master (GM): to be a bit more descriptive the holes are not perfectly symetrical nope   Izabel Castorena The Human Thief Says, "I doubt there's anything through them, we best head back and check the left turn."   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "It was not the Dwarves that made these, my guess is somethings coming out of them."   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "We can do that. But what about these two large pathways. You think we should stop exploring these?"   Phoenix (Izabel): Oh those aren't the tunnels?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger Says, "Again, I defer to you Duncan. Lead on - in whatever direction you think best."   Phoenix (Izabel): Ah, I miss read My bad   Dungeon Master (GM): ok you could have still said that anyways when you reach the end of the passage here is what happens next: As you turn to retread your steps, off in the distance you see several sets of glowing red eyes reflecting back your   Dungeon Master (GM): torchlight. Suddenly a cacophony of squeals split the air as a pack of boar sized rats’ charges into the light with ravenous hunger in their eyes.   Duncan Steelbeard The Dwarf Fighter Says, "They be ratholes!!" Hm maybe call it here?   Estrel Tol The Human Ranger draws his sword and prepares to slice up these vermin Might be a good stopping place. Lets Devin participate in the combat too. (And maybe Buddy if things look up for him and his family)   Dungeon Master (GM): so yes these be hungry rats! ok yes we can just stop right here and do inits and all next session!   Phoenix (Izabel): Thanks for the session; see y'all next week o/ And those eyes are really unsettling   Dungeon Master (GM): Alright! Goodnight all and thanks for playing!   Estrel Tol: Thanks all. See you next Sunday!   Dungeon Master (GM): by the way did everyone fill out the questionnaire?   Duncan Steelbeard: Typical for a Ravenloft type Horror module hehe G night   Phoenix (Izabel): Not yet, we're meant to fill that out at the end I thought.   Estrel Tol: I have done it each week (though it reads like it''s only supposed to be done when the module is over).   Dungeon Master (GM): yes though i did post what the author told me that you could fill it it so as to get your name in the module release either late tonight or sometime tomrrow I would guess he'll be updating the module anyways   Phoenix (Izabel): Any chance we get the module for free??? I'd like to run it for my group.   Dungeon Master (GM): after all the input is done and names given   Duncan Steelbeard: filled it out for the 5e game my comments would be the same   Dungeon Master (GM): there was no mention of it, though the DM's got a shirt for free we might get this play test done next session if not maybe 1 more after that.   Estrel Tol: Ok. Good night all. Stay safe. Avoid viruses AND tornados!   Dungeon Master (GM): alright and good night!