Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 5/28: Data Delve is Live!

Edited 1401297739
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Our massive new update, Data Delve, is live today for everyone. Special thanks goes to all the Mentors who have spent the last couple of months helping us test these new features on the Dev server, as well as building all the great character sheets that are now available to the community. If you just want the short version, see today's blog post: <a href="http://blog.roll20.net/post/87112838355/data-delve" rel="nofollow">http://blog.roll20.net/post/87112838355/data-delve</a>... Without further ado, the change log... QuantumRoll QuantumRoll is the new dice engine we're introducing. It handles all the rolls for all Roll20 games across the whole service. It uses a truly random number generator and provides insight into the status of rolls so you can verify for yourself that the system is working. For a full overview, read the preview blog post: <a href="http://blog.roll20.net/post/80684919470/data-delve" rel="nofollow">http://blog.roll20.net/post/80684919470/data-delve</a>... Using QuantumRoll is no different than rolling dice as usual. If you see the "quantum" symbol next to the result: ...then you know that the roll result was generated by the new system. This also applies to inline rolls: Note that QuantumRolls will not apply to rolls that use rollable tables or rolls made with 3D Dice or the API. Character Sheets <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8ONf9r8gs" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8ONf9r8gs</a> The Data Delve update also introduces Character Sheets. This is a feature that is designed to mimic the paper character sheets that we're all used to having when playing games in-person. The GM can choose a character sheet template for the game (either from the community-contributed library, or if they're a Mentor by making their own from scratch). Then all the Characters in the game (including those controlled by the players) will have a handy "Sheet" tab that you can view and edit. You can also double-click the titlebar of the Character dialog box to minimize it, handy for the GM to keep track of multiple sheets at once. Sheets can range from basic sets of fields (the way you'd just scratch a quick note on a piece of paper), to fully interactive digital experiences, with auto-calculating values and roll buttons to let you perform checks and attacks directly on the sheet itself. For more information on Character Sheets and what they're capable of, check out our preview blog post: <a href="http://blog.roll20.net/post/82092273480/data-delve" rel="nofollow">http://blog.roll20.net/post/82092273480/data-delve</a>... And for all the details on how to use Character Sheets in your game, check out the Wiki: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets</a> Video and Voice Improvements We've overhauled the built-in video and voice system that's powered by Tokbox and WebRTC. It should now use less bandwidth, allowing more people to use it at once on slower connections. We've also made it so the various options (such as "Receive Audio Only") now work more reliably, and there's now individual mute controls for each participant. Also, when receiving audio-only from a player, you will now see their avatar photo displayed instead of just a "mic" icon with a black background. Better Auto-Complete The auto-complete sorting order when editing macros and abilities has been redone so that it should do a better job finding what you're actually looking for. We've also added "selected" and "target" options to those auto-complete menus in the Macro editor. Finally, we've added the ability to specify the Character for an auto-complete in the Macro editor. So for example if you're making a Macro and you specifically want to only show attributes for the "Riley" character, type like so: "@Riley|&lt;attrname&gt;". Notice the pipe character ( | ) between the "Riley" and the attribute you are trying to find. That will signal the autocomplete to "only show attributes for Riley, no one else." Better Dev/Main Syncing We've implemented a new way of syncing Dev and Main that results in much better integration. Now when you make changes to your account (e.g. changing your password, changing your subscription to Mentor, erc.) those changes are synced immediately from Main to Dev. So if, for example, you forget your password and reset it on Main (as you should), you'll be able to login with that new password on Dev right away without needing to wait 2 hours. In addition, this eliminates the every-2-hours "can't login for 5 minutes" syncing completely. Also, upgrading to Mentor status will grant you access to the Dev server right away. Finally, accounts which are created on Main are synced immediately to Dev as well, so if a player in your game doesn't have an account and they create one on Main they can join your game on Dev right away instead of needing to wait up to 2 hours. API Changes As of today there are a few new functions in the API to help you take advantage of the new sheets. getAttrByName(character_id, attribute_name, value_type); This function allows you to get the value of an attribute, taking into consideration that the value may be provided by the default value of a sheet. You can still do attribute_object.get("current"); as before, but if you do so a) the attribute may not actually exist yet, and b) there may be a default value provided by a sheet at play. This function takes all that into account and will return either the attribute's value that already exists, or the default value (including auto-calc formula) of the sheet if the default is being used. var character = getObj("character", "-JMGkBaMgMWiQdNDwjjS"); getAttrByName(character.id, "str"); // the current value of str, for example "12" getAttrByName(character.id, "str", "max"); //the max value of str, for example "[[floor(@{STR}/2-5)]]" getSheetDefaultValue(attrname, valuetype) Returns the global default value (it's the same for all characters) for the current sheet if one is in use. Might be useful for some scripts, so we included it. In addition to those new functions, sendChat() has been updated so that it can now roll attributes and abilities from the sheet. For example: sendChat("API", "/roll @{Riley|str|max}"); Even if str_max is a formula from a sheet, that will now work properly. sendChat() has also been brought up to speed with other previous changes to the dice engine, such that you can now nest attributes and abilities, and make use of floor(), ceil(), etc. Finally, we have fixed the support for bio, notes, and gmnotes fields on the Characters and Handouts. Using the set() functions (e.g. character.set("bio")) should "just work", however when getting the value, you must now pass a callback function to receive the value (as we have to do a little network stuff in the background which may take a second to complete). Here's an example: var character = getObj("character", "-JMGkBaMgMWiQdNDwjjS"); character.get("bio", function(bio) { log(bio); //do something with the character bio here. }); Improved Character Dialog Layout We've made improvements to the way that the Character Edit + View dialogs relate to each other. The Attributes + Abilities pane has been moved solely to the View screen, and you can now edit, add, re-order, etc. your Attributes and Abilities directly from there without needing to go into the Edit screen for the Character. We've also made some improvements to the way the Abilities are laid out, so you can now easily roll the Ability and toggle its Macro and Token Action status quickly. There is still a Character Edit screen, but you now only need to use it to edit information that is updated less-often, such as the Name of the Character, who can control it, the default token, etc. Server Improvements We've also heavily invested in the Roll20 servers behind-the-scenes, and you can expect speedier page loads across the site. Misc/Bugfixes: The horizontal scrollbar is now always visible in the page toolbar on Mac computers. We've added security headers to the main Roll20 application. In theory these headers disallow scripts from external sites from being imported when running Roll20, which should hopefully cut down on the number of adware and malware applications which interfere with Roll20. Inline roll formatting has been fixed for inline rolls which are really long (e.g. 99d20) In addition to the floor() and ceil() functions, you now have access to a round() function when making your dice rolls. For example, /roll round(3d6/2). [Bugfix] You can now delete a page after you have unarchived it without needing to reload. [Bugfix] Rolling a 0-sided dice (e.g. /roll 10d0) will now correctly report "0" as the result instead of "1". [Bugfix] Negative numbers between 0 and 1 (e.g. -0.5) are now handled correctly by the dice engine. [Bugfix] Players can no longer access abilities or attributes of Characters they do not control even if they know the name of the attribute or ability (does not affect the use of @{target}). In addition, if a player could previously control a Character, if their control is removed any macros associated with that Character's abilities will be removed from their macro bar. [Bugfix] Attempting to set a number to the "Red X" icon in the status effect markers tray no longer assigns a number to one of the colored dots. The number is correctly ignored. [Bugfix] Right-clicking while drawing with the FX Tool will no longer create a "stuck" special effect. Enjoy!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Will Quantum Rolls be coming to the Rollable Tables and API in future updates?
where can we find the CSS file that describe the built in styles like sheet-2colrow
How can I replicate the proprietary functionality like auto-calculating inputs, attributes, and repeating items. I would like to build a character sheet for Mentor DM to use
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Extract, as an example, from the css files included by roll20 - .sheet-3colrow{display:block;clear:both}; .sheet-3colrow .sheet-col{width:calc(33% - 21px);
Ok. Question from a fairly simple user here... Is there a way to add rolls from my character sheet to my Macro Bar?
is there no character sheet that will work with a D6 system like star wars or d6 fantasy?
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Joel W. said: Ok. Question from a fairly simple user here... Is there a way to add rolls from my character sheet to my Macro Bar? You should be able to call the roll button as a character ability in an ability or macro. There's no way to toggle a button directly from the sheet to be on your bar.
my 13th age sheet looks different on the production server than it does on dev server. All label tags seem to cause the following text box to be on the next line no matter what
Le sigh, was hoping for those fix() and cond() auto-calc functions.
Sam said: Joel W. said: Ok. Question from a fairly simple user here... Is there a way to add rolls from my character sheet to my Macro Bar? You should be able to call the roll button as a character ability in an ability or macro. There's no way to toggle a button directly from the sheet to be on your bar. Ok... ELIA5 if you don't mind... How would I, a API noob, go about building a macro that would call the roll button as a character action? Is this feasible for a noob or is this just beyond the scope of what can be done. Because, from a user perspective, this sort of functionality would be VERY VERY useful.
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Joel W. said: Sam said: Joel W. said: Ok. Question from a fairly simple user here... Is there a way to add rolls from my character sheet to my Macro Bar? You should be able to call the roll button as a character ability in an ability or macro. There's no way to toggle a button directly from the sheet to be on your bar. Ok... ELIA5 if you don't mind... How would I, a API noob, go about building a macro that would call the roll button as a character action? Is this feasible for a noob or is this just beyond the scope of what can be done. Because, from a user perspective, this sort of functionality would be VERY VERY useful. %{Character|Button_name} Can't use it on repeating sections though. Repeating sections are sections that have the +Add and Modify buttons.
Roger Copy! Thank you for the rapid response Mentor Sam!
A quick question here, I am guessing the update with the character sheet also changed how macros on the regular sheet(non specific character sheet) are done. It seems we can't select Attributes anymore with @...For my game, I used dozens of attributes which are linked to different Abilities. It seems the ones already done works fine, but I can't add any new ones somehow... It just doesn't show any attributes with @ at all, as if the were no Attributes to locate on the sheet. Any ideas?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sam said: Joel W. said: Ok. Question from a fairly simple user here... Is there a way to add rolls from my character sheet to my Macro Bar? You should be able to call the roll button as a character ability in an ability or macro. There's no way to toggle a button directly from the sheet to be on your bar. Roll buttons can be setup to be token actions, so they will appear in the top bar when the token is selected (but not the bottom bar at all times). That's up to the sheet creator, however.
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian said: Roll buttons can be setup to be token actions, so they will appear in the top bar when the token is selected (but not the bottom bar at all times). That's up to the sheet creator, however. Most of us opted out of that since they're not toggleable at the moment and people were asking us to turn them off.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
So wait...is it possible to modify an existing character sheet template at the Supporter level? By that I mean change the array of attributes? Tweak the roll functions? Or is that level of customization left only to those with Mentor status. Because if that's the case...I know you guys gotta make a living, but I'm pretty disappointed. Sure, its great when you are running D&D or Pathfinder, but if you are playing some small press game that isn't on your list of games, you are kinda left in the cold. Or is there an option that I'm missing? On a related note, if I create a custom template for my game and my Mentor status expires, do I lose access to my template?
Tom said: So wait...is it possible to modify an existing character sheet template at the Supporter level? By that I mean change the array of attributes? Tweak the roll functions? Or is that level of customization left only to those with Mentor status. Because if that's the case...I know you guys gotta make a living, but I'm pretty disappointed. Sure, its great when you are running D&D or Pathfinder, but if you are playing some small press game that isn't on your list of games, you are kinda left in the cold. Or is there an option that I'm missing? On a related note, if I create a custom template for my game and my Mentor status expires, do I lose access to my template? So...this might explain why I can't have access to any Attributes on the character sheet without template...But is it really because we are not at Mentor Level? I don't mind Mentors having exclusives and beta features(the Dynamic Light feature made me switch to Supporter and I never regretted it) but if we have access to less features then before...that would be truly regretful. My game is totally custom made, with extensive rules and character sheets that no current template can relate effectively.( I would love to make my own template, but programmer I am not, and the game is already time consuming as it is...) With the regular template, I was able to create a comprehensible pseudo sheet. So please, do not remove this option. On a totally different note, is there a way to alphabetize or reorganize the Decks and Rollable Tables? In my game, I used the Rollable Table quite extensively, for the purpose of altering token images( 1 character token might have a dozen different images, and that's not inclunding NPCs). So if I have a cumbersome list of tables, ordering them either by alphabetization or placing them as you wish (like the attributes or abilities, which is awesome) would be truly appreciated!
Dr Van Hauten said: A quick question here, I am guessing the update with the character sheet also changed how macros on the regular sheet(non specific character sheet) are done. It seems we can't select Attributes anymore with @...For my game, I used dozens of attributes which are linked to different Abilities. It seems the ones already done works fine, but I can't add any new ones somehow... It just doesn't show any attributes with @ at all, as if the were no Attributes to locate on the sheet. Any ideas? So when you're editing a Macro or Ability and press @ the auto-complete isn't listing your existing Attributes?
Sam said: Brian said: Roll buttons can be setup to be token actions, so they will appear in the top bar when the token is selected (but not the bottom bar at all times). That's up to the sheet creator, however. Most of us opted out of that since they're not toggleable at the moment and people were asking us to turn them off. Yeah, I'm not sure what the right answer is there. But it is pretty easy to just make a macro with %{selected|Attack} (or whatever the sheet roll button is called) and then make that a token action. So I'm not sure how much of a problem it is....
Dr Van Hauten said: With the regular template, I was able to create a comprehensible pseudo sheet. So please, do not remove this option. Nothing changed with the existing Attributes/Abilities functionality.
Tom said: So wait...is it possible to modify an existing character sheet template at the Supporter level? By that I mean change the array of attributes? Tweak the roll functions? Or is that level of customization left only to those with Mentor status. Because if that's the case...I know you guys gotta make a living, but I'm pretty disappointed. Sure, its great when you are running D&D or Pathfinder, but if you are playing some small press game that isn't on your list of games, you are kinda left in the cold. Or is there an option that I'm missing? On a related note, if I create a custom template for my game and my Mentor status expires, do I lose access to my template? Only Mentors can have a custom sheet with custom HTML/CSS/rolls/etc. Everyone else can use the community sheets as they are. That said, the sheets are all open source, so if you want to contribute to them for the whole community you can do so: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets</a>... . But obviously that would not be for homebrew rules and the like, but you could certainly contribute a sheet for a small press game even if you're not a Mentor, and then everyone can use it. Keep in mind you can use the existing Attributes + Abilities functionality alongside the sheet. So you could use the base sheet for the game as-is, and then have additional stats or actions in the Attributes + Abilities pane.
Riley D. said: Dr Van Hauten said: A quick question here, I am guessing the update with the character sheet also changed how macros on the regular sheet(non specific character sheet) are done. It seems we can't select Attributes anymore with @...For my game, I used dozens of attributes which are linked to different Abilities. It seems the ones already done works fine, but I can't add any new ones somehow... It just doesn't show any attributes with @ at all, as if the were no Attributes to locate on the sheet. Any ideas? So when you're editing a Macro or Ability and press @ the auto-complete isn't listing your existing Attributes? I tested it again and, well either I'm doing something wrong or it just doesn't show up at all. For the sake of macro simplicity, let's say I want to roll 1d100 + any specific Attribute. So it should be /roll 1d100 + @(and then the attribute should show up), right? Let's not hop on the more complex macros right away, but even the basic ones seem unresponsive? Any clue to why?
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: Only Mentors can have a custom sheet with custom HTML/CSS/rolls/etc. Everyone else can use the community sheets as they are. That said, the sheets are all open source, so if you want to contribute to them for the whole community you can do so: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets</a>... . But obviously that would not be for homebrew rules and the like, but you could certainly contribute a sheet for a small press game even if you're not a Mentor, and then everyone can use it. Keep in mind you can use the existing Attributes + Abilities functionality alongside the sheet. So you could use the base sheet for the game as-is, and then have additional stats or actions in the Attributes + Abilities pane. Are there any guidelines for doing that? I'm not looking to create a character sheet for a homebrew – I'm running Witch Hunter 2nd edition. The rules are pretty close to nWoD, which is why I had been hoping just to grab an existing template and modify it. My CSS is veeeeeerrrrrrry rusty, and I don't see a new to reinvent the wheel. I'm more interested in function than flare at this stage. But the wiki doesn't have anything about plugging in different variables. For example, while the dice system in Witch Hunter and nWoD are approximate (d10 dice pools, 7 success vs 8, abilities and skills rated up to 5), the two games have an entirely different array of Abilities. But judging from the wiki, there are some aspects of the template I can plug information into (skills, equipment) and some I can't (Abilities, Attributes, etc.). Or am I wrong about that?

Edited 1401308476
Riley D. said: Tom said: So wait...is it possible to modify an existing character sheet template at the Supporter level? By that I mean change the array of attributes? Tweak the roll functions? Or is that level of customization left only to those with Mentor status. Because if that's the case...I know you guys gotta make a living, but I'm pretty disappointed. Sure, its great when you are running D&D or Pathfinder, but if you are playing some small press game that isn't on your list of games, you are kinda left in the cold. Or is there an option that I'm missing? On a related note, if I create a custom template for my game and my Mentor status expires, do I lose access to my template? Only Mentors can have a custom sheet with custom HTML/CSS/rolls/etc. Everyone else can use the community sheets as they are. That said, the sheets are all open source, so if you want to contribute to them for the whole community you can do so: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets</a>... . But obviously that would not be for homebrew rules and the like, but you could certainly contribute a sheet for a small press game even if you're not a Mentor, and then everyone can use it. Keep in mind you can use the existing Attributes + Abilities functionality alongside the sheet. So you could use the base sheet for the game as-is, and then have additional stats or actions in the Attributes + Abilities pane. How would one go about making a new sheet even if they aren't a mentor ( I understand that they can't use it without being a mentor). I see that it's mostly HTML and CSS but how would I get that extra stuff to work, like auto calculating fields, using 'repeating_', using 'attr_', etc. I've heard a couple times from the Dev Team that we can create sheets even if we aren't a mentor but I can't find anything on how to get this stuff up an running on my computer (as was suggested to me by you in another thread).

Edited 1401308983
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
All the documentation for how to write the sheets is here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets</a> However obviously they don't actually do anything until they're running on Roll20. Even the Mentor preview stuff doesn't show them actually do anything, it just shows the fields along with a little custom CSS so it looks the correct width and whatnot. For example, for an auto-calculating field you just do &lt;input type='number' value='@{otherstat} + 5' disabled='true' /&gt; All of the info to do that is on the Wiki. If you put that in the Mentor editor, it just shows a blank field. Once the sheet is running in game, the "magic" happens and it actually works. Honestly, creating a sheet for the community is not something I would recommend that everyone (or even most people) do. It's meant more for people who are already familiar with HTML/CSS, and obviously either being a Mentor or knowing a Mentor (James you mentioned your GM is one) so they can test your code for you helps. We don't anticipate having thousands of people making sheets. Most people are going to just use the community sheets. And if you look at the contribution guidelines in the Github repo, you'll note we only really want one sheet per game system, and we want it to use the official rules, not custom/homebrew ones. If you are wanting to just take a game sheet and make a few minor modifications to it for your own custom rules/homebrew, or something like that, that's what the Mentor feature is for. If you guys have more questions about the specifics of actually making a sheet, I would start another thread, as we're getting pretty tangential to the "hey this is out" nature of this one.

Edited 1401309316
Devindra P.
Sheet Author
James E. said: How would one go about making a new sheet even if they aren't a mentor ( I understand that they can't use it without being a mentor). I see that it's mostly HTML and CSS but how would I get that extra stuff to work, like auto calculating fields, using 'repeating_', using 'attr_', etc. I've heard a couple times from the Dev Team that we can create sheets even if we aren't a mentor but I can't find anything on how to get this stuff up an running on my computer (as was suggested to me by you in another thread). It's relatively straight forward, just put both the HTML and CSS file in the same folder, and then at the top of the HTML file, add this line: &lt;link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /&gt; where style.css is the name of your css file. Then open the .html file in your web browser. Unfortunately though, this will not allow you to test the functionality, or see how the styling looks with Roll20's default styling layered on top. If you are savvy with web development, then you could go to the roll20 tabletop and open up your browser's developer tools, then find their css stylesheets and download them. Include those style sheets in your html file, in a similar way to the custom stylesheet. That will at least let you get the styling right.
Gold
Forum Champion
The update is cool. Thanks Roll20. Keep up the good work. The character sheets are exciting. I had some of the same questions as others in this thread (Tom, James) and I find that Riley's answers are helping me to understand what I can do. It sounds like I need to upgrade to the Mentor subscription to get a feature I want: the ability to make minor homebrew changes to existing community character sheet, just customized for my own campaign without releasing it to everyone or getting approval for Community sheet. I also learned that another approach is to use Community Sheet, and add my custom homebrew ability fields on Attributes & Abilities tab, as that tab will continue to work even with fields that are not associated to the existing Char Sheet. 2 ways of doing it, paid or unpaid. This is good. I will probably go "Mentor" just to try the homebrew character sheet modification feature
Riley D. said: Dr Van Hauten said: A quick question here, I am guessing the update with the character sheet also changed how macros on the regular sheet(non specific character sheet) are done. It seems we can't select Attributes anymore with @...For my game, I used dozens of attributes which are linked to different Abilities. It seems the ones already done works fine, but I can't add any new ones somehow... It just doesn't show any attributes with @ at all, as if the were no Attributes to locate on the sheet. Any ideas? So when you're editing a Macro or Ability and press @ the auto-complete isn't listing your existing Attributes? I am also having this issue with making Macros. I assign all the attribute values but when i get into actually writing the macros [[d20+@Base]] etc... its doesn't fill in the @ value and the macro will only roll the d20.
Since the update, I can't put a negative values for an attribute, it was working last night... when I enter a negative value either in the bubble over the token or in the character sheet I get this error message: TypeError: e.replace is not a function.
Chad T. said: Riley D. said: Dr Van Hauten said: A quick question here, I am guessing the update with the character sheet also changed how macros on the regular sheet(non specific character sheet) are done. It seems we can't select Attributes anymore with @...For my game, I used dozens of attributes which are linked to different Abilities. It seems the ones already done works fine, but I can't add any new ones somehow... It just doesn't show any attributes with @ at all, as if the were no Attributes to locate on the sheet. Any ideas? So when you're editing a Macro or Ability and press @ the auto-complete isn't listing your existing Attributes? I am also having this issue with making Macros. I assign all the attribute values but when i get into actually writing the macros [[d20+@Base]] etc... its doesn't fill in the @ value and the macro will only roll the d20. It should be d20+@{Base}
Riley D. said: Dr Van Hauten said: With the regular template, I was able to create a comprehensible pseudo sheet. So please, do not remove this option. Nothing changed with the existing Attributes/Abilities functionality. This issue should be fixed now @Dr Van Hauten
The negative values for an attribute still doesn't work. I don't know if I'm missing something, here's an example: /me defends [[(@{Reaction}+@{Intuition}-@{wound} +@{Defmod} )d6&gt;5]] The problem is the fact that the "Defmod" can be a negative or positive value, so usually since im using an addition for that attribute I'm not suppose to have a problem right? It's still works if I use "0" or a positive number as a value or if I put parentheses around the negative number. Tough the parentheses kind of slow the combat mechanics down and it was working without it for the last month. If someone could tell me if I'm mistaken or if it's gonna be fixed it would be greatly appreciated :)
Aaron C. M. said: Will Quantum Rolls be coming to the Rollable Tables and API in future updates? I, too, am curious about this (as is my group). We really, really like the look and feel of the d20's on-screen; it brings the game to life. My players also really like the idea of the 'quantum' rolling, though, and we'd love to not have to make the choice between functionality and aesthetics.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I should point out that the way dice were rolling before were already using a very good and well tested RNG. The Devs just wanted to go completely insanely overboard because, despite the older RNG being pretty darn random , people still were suspicious. I suspect some people will still be suspicious with the new Quantum version. *shrug* During the interim of adaptation across the board, be rest assured that the older RNG method still works as it should.
The 3D Dice are already extremely random, because not only are the start positions of each individual dice randomized using an RNG, its a physics simulation so there's no real way to tell the outcome ahead of time. The "tricky" part of that is that, as with physical dice, it's not really possible to roll a million of them in a row and test the randomness the same way that you test the randomness of a simple number generator. In short, I would keep using the 3D Dice if that's what you like, resting assured that it is at least as random if not more random than using real physical dice at a tabletop.
Eric L. said: The negative values for an attribute still doesn't work. I don't know if I'm missing something, here's an example: /me defends [[(@{Reaction}+@{Intuition}-@{wound} +@{Defmod} )d6&gt;5]] The problem is the fact that the "Defmod" can be a negative or positive value, so usually since im using an addition for that attribute I'm not suppose to have a problem right? It's still works if I use "0" or a positive number as a value or if I put parentheses around the negative number. Tough the parentheses kind of slow the combat mechanics down and it was working without it for the last month. If someone could tell me if I'm mistaken or if it's gonna be fixed it would be greatly appreciated :) I'm actually shocked that ever worked at all. You're supposed to have to use an inline roll (e.g. [[2+5]]d6) if you want a variable number of dice rolls, not parantheses. It does indeed seem to work as you have it written as long as there are no negative signs, but I think that's just a side effect not an intended feature.
Thanks Riley for the fast answer, the sad part is that I'm gonna have to redo all of my macros 350 of them:( Still I have one more problem, It works if I put the "Defmod" in an inline roll like so: /roll (@{Reaction}+@{Intuition}-@{wound} +[[@{Defmod}]])d6&gt;5 But I since Shadowrun uses a huge number of die, I was really digging the inline roll thing since it makes the interface easier to read. But now, because there is already an inline roll in my formula, I can't seem to put the [[ ]] at the begining and end of the formula. My goal would be to have this formula: [[(@{Reaction}+@{Intuition}-@{wound} +@{Defmod} )d6&gt;5]] work while using the Defmod as a an inline roll like the first macro.
Yeah unfortunately you can't nest inline rolls right now, sorry :-( I'll see if there's some way I can get the way you were doing it before to work again, no promises, though :-)
Thanks, it's much appreciated! I really love your site by the way, I would'nt be playing Shadowrun if it weren't for it. A troll throwing 32d6 to resist damage is really pain on a table ;)
Yup, everything seems fine on my end! And for that I thank your dearly, Sir Riley! I also noticed the nice touch about dragging tokens from characters sheet and getting them already registered to their proper character, small touch but time saving nonetheless! Now if we can just have this alphabetization for rollable tables, that would be quite a blessing. But in due time! For now, you deserve a nice rest, O proud warriors of Roll20! For your updates have quenched our thirst for critical rolls and terrible fails! At least...for now!
This is... beautiful. This is just about everything anyone could have ever wanted from Roll20. It's becoming more and more possible for players to not even need to understand the system they're playing to play it so long someone makes their character for them. GM's can now secretly draw on any damn stat they want without tipping their players off or taking an absurd amount of notes, stuff like ability drain isn't a math nightmare. And good lord, the speed. My group doesn't need to spend an hour making macros that they can't get working right for some inexplicable reason or that has to be rewritten because they forgot some variable. Combat runs like a dream, my Pathfinder group can resolve attacks in a single click without asking a bunch of questions. The GM can bring up the AC values of any token with a simple macro, no more waiting for someone who's not paying attention to say what it is. She can even roll their all three saves FOR them if they're in the bathroom or something with another macro. The only inconvenience is keeping the character sheet window open all the time to do those fancy rolls; having the option to open it in another browser tab or minimize it temporarily would be great. I really hope you guys are listening to the guys making the character sheets. They'll most certainly be asking for more advanced math-related features, like being able to temporarily set a variable in a single roll to reference later, comparing values, maybe some scripting access for official character sheets to do stuff like calculating encumbrance or resolving Shadowrun attacks in two clicks, one for the attacker and one for the defender (including the final damage number and type!). Maybe even allow rolls to edit attributes, like expending a use of a spell or dealing damage, while posting a button to the chat that allows the GM or player to undo the changes. I can't help but feel this is a big thing for tabletop gaming as a whole. You've just lowered the barrier of entry considerably for a lot of people.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Helmic, if you double-click on the title bar of the character sheet dialog, it will minimize.

Edited 1401582260
illo
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I think the character sheets are great, thank you, Roll20! But I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong, or if I'm finding a couple of bugs with the D&D 3.5's sheets: - Looks like the macros that implies the CON or INT Abilities are not working properly, in my case what I'm getting is: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/ayC5BiC.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/ayC5BiC.jpg</a> - When using an attack macro from the sheet it doesn´t aplies the Size bonus, I think. I love this platform, and I hope it keeps growing, this upgrade makes it even cooler :D EDIT: I said nothing, it was mixing with some stats I created before, sorry!

Edited 1401647469
Brian said: Helmic, if you double-click on the title bar of the character sheet dialog, it will minimize. That is handy and completely unintuitive. I like how it gets small and transparent so you can set it off in a corner (bug: it always moves to the right every time you minimize it), but there's nothing to indicate that's how it's done. In Windows, double-clicking a title bar does the opposite, it maximizes a window. Think a minimize/restore button's in order.
Thanks Riley, the thing about the negative attribute seems to be resolved since this morning! I guess this is you're doing, if so I could hug you man :) I will even be able to have my game as schedule! Thanks again!