Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Advertisement Create a free account Compendium in Game, Join Today

How do the sheets work in relation to github and multiple sheets?

1401330430
Josiah B.
Plus
Sheet Author
Hello! I was just wondering a few things. If I update my sheet on github does that update the sheets being used? Also I have had a few requests for some setting specific savage worlds stuff and my solution is to throw everything into the html and use different CSS files to show or hide elements for each setting. For example have sanity attributes in the html and have a horror class that each CSS file can choose to display or not. Is there a way to support multiple CSS sheets within the same folder? Or do I need to create a new folder for each sheet? thanks!
1401339556
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
The process works like this - You clone the official Roll 20 repository You work on your cloned version of the repo making commits to it as you go. You reach a stage where you have updates that you'd like to be added to the official repository so you submit a pull request to the official repo from your cloned one. At somepoint after that Riley (who has said it's likely to be something like once a week this happens) will review and process the pull requests and merge them into the official repo assuming everything is fine with them and then he can choose which of the sheets in the official repo are available for roll20 users. It's only at this point that the changes you've sent through the process would then be available to everyone. On your other point - The guidelines were that there really should, for the most part, only be a single sheet per system so you probably shouldnt create a new folder for each sheet. See the readme file on the Roll20 Github Repo Main Page (just scroll down that page a little). You can only use a single stylesheet too but there are some CSS tricks you can use with checkboxes and so on to hide/show/style pages differently though whether that goes into the territory of supporting a more custom setup I have no idea as I am not familiar with Savage Worlds at all. i think the idea was to ensure the community sheets supported the core of a particular game/system and not deep customisation (as thats what the custom sheet option is for)
1401339884
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
The problem with Savage Worlds though, is that it's a template system. There's a standard setup to the sheet but each setting adds and subtracts its own features. I can see a way to use radio buttons like the Pathfinder sheet to select which setting you're using and show or hide the appropriate fields, but I bet it'd get complicated real fast.
1401363058
Josiah B.
Plus
Sheet Author
Sam said: The problem with Savage Worlds though, is that it's a template system. There's a standard setup to the sheet but each setting adds and subtracts its own features. I can see a way to use radio buttons like the Pathfinder sheet to select which setting you're using and show or hide the appropriate fields, but I bet it'd get complicated real fast. Exactly, I see I could probably use some checkboxes or radio buttons, but with the potential complexity it would be cool if multiple flavors of sheets could be used. Even normally Im sure that having the ability to have a few different CSS file effecting the same sheet would be good. You could choose a sheet and after you choose the sheet have another dropdown to choose between different CSS flavors.
1401364937
Casey
Sheet Author
Why not maintain alternate CSS files and post them on the wiki, or even inside the github repo, and let GMs manually copy the HTML+CSS into their Custom character sheet settings?
1401365758
Josiah B.
Plus
Sheet Author
Casey said: Why not maintain alternate CSS files and post them on the wiki, or even inside the github repo, and let GMs manually copy the HTML+CSS into their Custom character sheet settings? If that's the way it needs to work I have already been doing that. Though posting it to the wiki I hadn't thought of. thanks!
1401369984
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
For now, have the HTML+CSS in the folder that the sheet.json references be just the base "official" sheet (for the default setting). We're working on a "multiple layouts" feature that would handle this use case nicely (so you could choose to use a different "Setting"), but until then as others have said I guess you can just put multiple CSS files and Mentors can do the manual copy+paste thing, but free users won't have access to those right now. Hopefully the multiple layouts will be out in the next week or two.
1401370145
Josiah B.
Plus
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: For now, have the HTML+CSS in the folder that the sheet.json references be just the base "official" sheet (for the default setting). We're working on a "multiple layouts" feature that would handle this use case nicely (so you could choose to use a different "Setting"), but until then as others have said I guess you can just put multiple CSS files and Mentors can do the manual copy+paste thing, but free users won't have access to those right now. Hopefully the multiple layouts will be out in the next week or two. Thanks! sounds awesome!