Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][Free][D&D5e] Runesbane, a West Marches Inspired Game

Edited 1593655810
Greetings! I am looking to begin a West Marches inspired game using D&D's 5e ruleset. I have lots of experience DMing and have always wanted to run a game of this type. " West Marches is a sandbox style of D&D campaign, created by Ben Robbins and popularized by Matt Colville, designed to facilitate player agency and reduce ‘mindless plot following’ by putting a large group of players (10+) in charge of where they go, what they do, and when they play."  It's important to understand what West Marches is and how it can function. Here is a link to the original post by Ben Robbins, and Matt Colville's video . Gameplay Players will form their own groups from a pool of players who are available to explore and conquer the challenges of Runesbane. It facilitates games for players to decide what they do before the session even starts, and its flexible nature fits the difficult time-tables of active people. I want to host a game where players can explore vast webbing dungeons, eerie ruins, magical forests. I'd like to encourage players to join factions and get involved in world events, perhaps even building their own strongholds and keeps. I'd like them to find small details of an overarching story hidden in the depths of Runesbane, and make their own personal stories through their character's interactions with the environment. An overarching meta-plot will depend on players pushing for what occurs. They choose who to interact with, where to go, what to kill, and what to steal. The hidden story will be tailored as the players take interest and note in certain things. I am using some House Rules . Desired Player Traits Players who join this game will be expected to initiate sessions and craft post-session " write-ups " in which they describe what they did, what happened and what they saw or discovered. This is the lifeblood of a West Marches game. Without it, the creative and playful competition that drives West Marches forward won't work. A write-up doesn't have to be highly fancy, or highly detailed. I will be rewarding write-ups to encourage players to make them. I appreciate those who invest themselves in worlds, are excited about roleplay, and enjoy crafting a character's story as they explore and interact with the setting and themselves. A West Marches game isn't generally the setting for a rigid overarching story. It is, however, perfect for making a character's story. Injuries, accomplished background goals, victories and discoveries in the wild can all help craft a really rich character tale. I enjoy playing challenging enemies. Not deadly, but challenging. Those who enjoy strategy, planning, and executing skilled maneuvers on enemies will enjoy the combat in the game. Death is possible, but I am not an adversarial or "killer" DM. The threat of the enemies will be openly telegraphed. Crafty ideas to overcome dangerous challenges will be rewarded. Discord and a microphone are required. Setting In antiquity, Runesbane was home to a sprawling empire whose prowess in the arcane arts led to their complete annihilation. The ruins and artifacts they left behind have inspired many to explore the tangled rivers, mountains, and plains of Runesbane. The dwarves of Longstone made their attempt at taming the continent at Treasurehead and were snuffed out. The humans of the Emerald Empire made their attempt at Inkwatch and were ravaged by the undead. Now a coalition of allied kingdoms has made it their goal to settle Runesbane and expand their influence, and recover the lost secrets of their forerunners. The Sigelic Isles, Emerald Empire, dwarves of Longstone, and the Elves of Onagira have pooled their resources to conquer Runesbane. You can read more about the colony settlers here , and the landmarks of Runesbane here .  How to Join If you understand how a West Marches game is, and you think you would enjoy trying it please read this . Here  is a roster of the current players. When applying I would like to hear about what interests you about the game, your character concept, and available times. Remember, these games are highly flexible. My schedule is very, very open due to recent events, so don't be discouraged if you are in an odd timezone. I am on Pacific Time, or GMT+7. Please contact me on discord or post your interest below to apply! Sunny#2248

Edited 1592242104
Hi! I loved the ideia of not having a fixed "plot" to follow along and just explore the world. I would love to play a circle of the moon druid that has left their forest in Lorea in hopes of learning more about the creatures of Runesbane. I would be able to play on Saturdays and late evenings during weekdays. However I am on GMT-3 and I don't know if we could find available times with timezones this different. Oh, I am also not a native english speaker and have an accent that is somewhat pronounced (I am Brazilian). You can find me on discord Serl#5547.
So far we have a druid and a warlock that have joined! But we will need a lot more to get this thing going. 
Howdy, Ive got myself and 2 other players who would be interested in joining, I myself have an elvish wizard interested in studying both the undead and magical artifacts left behind. And I can gaurantee that the other 2 players I have could come up with characters engaged with the world if given the chance They were last considering a Ranger & a Cleric
Hey, I am bumping this topic because I am looking for a few more players to round the player base out to 20. Currently, we have 14 active members. Please see the archive of our previous sessions to get a closer look at how the game has been going from the player's perspective.
How frequently are you looking for players to between sessions? I am interested in joining a West Marches style campaign when I can join a group when available.
I am having difficulty understanding what you mean, but the game is flexible in its time tables, so if you can only play infrequently then that's alright.
Cool, I am interested then.
I went ahead and PM'd you. Thanks for your interest.
Hey, Sunny. I'd love a chance to play in the world of Runesbane. I'm an experienced DM looking for a chance to play and I'm familiar with West Marches campaigns. I love the feeling of exploring a world and working with the other players to decide what to pursue. I think Runesbane would be a great fit because it's a smaller player base right now and I like that intimate feel. I sent you a friend request on Discord, so message me if you want to chat or ask me anything. I hope we'll get a chance to play together soon. 
Hi there I would be very interested in this style of game as I have never been in a game of this type before but I do have the commitment to play
Hi, if you are still accepting people, I love this and I'm super interested. I love making characters and the idea of one inhabiting this growing and populated world is just super cool. I have a couple of ideas for characters including a kobold glamour bard jester, and a very friendly shadow sorcerer drow. My discord is Toastyr#4753. I'd love to learn more.
Unfortunately, at this time, I won't be taking any more applicants. Though, people fall out of the game or decide to quit, and so spaces may open again.