Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Something wrong with the game search function?

I've been noticing this for a while & just experimented to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I did a relatively simple search, mutants & masterminds system & only free to play. Searched this morning and got like 6 results (two of which being my own games). Just did a search about 20 minutes ago and only 2 games, only one of which was mine. Fortunately I remembered enough of the name of the game I was applying for to find it via google & saw that nothing has changed there, it still has room for 2 more players, my search parameters should have found it, but it's not popping up nor is my other game.  Did this on Google Chrome, confirmed it on Brave Web Browser, I don't believe the problem is on my end. But this has me wondering what's wrong & how many people's games might be getting handicapped in recruiting because they're not popping up on the game search.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I see 2 of yours when I search. Did you maybe have the "mature content" box checked on the earlier search, but not on your later searches?
I just did the exact same search a couple minutes ago & got all the results again. It's hit & miss. And since I don't use the advanced search there's no reason for it to be like this.

Edited 1592430684
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I see 3 results without "mature content", and 4 when I check the box. Both of yours appear. I'll check again after a bit, but Kraynic is right in that most problems with finding games have to do with checking that box.
I tested repeatedly, the exact same search gave two different results. I know one of my games has mature content listed, but please note that of the 4 games, 2 disappearing, 1 has mature content. So please stop focusing on the one and please give me enough credit to recognize that one check box.
Imma put it like this, the game I applied for and one of the two that disappeared is M&M listed for fridays at 5:30pm cst. Welcomes new players, not p2p. Now when that game disappeared from search I found it via google from remembering enough of it's name. After finding the game I retried the search making sure I didn't screwup the check boxes. Did another search for M&M, f2p only. Got two results, the game I was searching for not being one of them. Went back to the page & specified the search even more. Set for 5pm cst on fridays (30 minutes before game, the time function states it allows a 3 HOUR window), still got nothing. Tinkered with it repeatedly with many different settings and kept getting 2 results or none depending on how narrow my search. But tried again like 30 min ago & they're back. So if the same exact search can find the game one hour and not find the game the next hour, and the user has attempted this on two different web browsers, yeah I believe something is wrong & I'm bringing this up to get the attention of those that can get into the code and find out what's wrong.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Q said: I tested repeatedly, the exact same search gave two different results. I know one of my games has mature content listed, but please note that of the 4 games, 2 disappearing, 1 has mature content. So please stop focusing on the one and please give me enough credit to recognize that one check box. I'm not disagreeing, I'm trying to help. By stating what I found at this point in time, I have a record to compare to when I check again later. And you said nothing about clicking or not clicking "mature content", which is the most common reason for unexpected search results. Because it is such a common error, it's usually helpful to mention. You also said nothing in your previous two posts about limiting by time factors, just "mutants & masterminds system & only free to play", which were the criteria I used when trying my search. The LFG tool does some odd rounding, and I'm willing to try to repeat any steps you list that demonstrate the issue, but if you would prefer no one corroborate the problem (which helps the devs distinguish a bug from user error), I'll bow out.
I'm not trying to be rude in any fashion, just trying to point out that the basics of checking that one box are actually irrelevant to this. I have previously done the search with mature content and had my own game not pop up. I've done this in the past when I was more active with D&D. The bad part is that unless you're actively watching & KNOW something should be there that isn't, then most people wouldn't notice.
I've noticed this from time to time, too. My best guess is the LFG listings are being updated, and the system doesn't handle it smoothly. Simply waiting (typically about 5 minutes) will usually clear the problem. It shouldn't happen, though -- there's a bug somewhere in the system.
I'm still getting it, I can specifically point out one game that's hit &amp; miss. Search is "Mutants &amp; Masterminds", Free to play &amp; adult content. No other filters. I don't understand why the exact same search can find a game one time and miss it another. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/207695/mutants-and-masterminds-new-age-new-heroes" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/207695/mutants-and-masterminds-new-age-new-heroes</a>
Just hit search again &amp; 2 games disappeared, didn't change anything. One of the games is my own so I know it didn't miraculously fill up.
Definitively confirmed something is buggy here. Instead of doing a search by regular means, I saved my search as a bookmark. Mutants &amp; Masterminds, free to play, show adult content. This is my only search criteria &amp; again, it's bookmarked. So I push the button &amp; immediately go to the results. I applied for the Arcadia game, been occasionally checking to see if anything new popped up. The game was gone about 15 minutes ago &amp; just came back up. With literally no change on the part of the game or my search, this means there's got to be a bug somewhere
Just had a game disappear that I had bookmarked, confirmed it's still recruiting. Again still using my bookmarked search function, it was there 10 minutes ago and gone now, will update when it returns. Basically documenting as much as possible so the mods can try to fix this.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Please post when it returns. I too can only see one game by you with those search choices. At this point in time.
Sorry it had returned about 10 minutes later, I should only have one game up as the other is full.