Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copyright questions for possible new creator

Hey folks, I'm trying to do things right. I have been creating adventures for a while now and have recently gotten back into Roll20. I'm currently just running games but am looking to possibly become a content creator for the marketplace. My question is this. I have maps and adventures that I have created from scratch that I can legally use in my content. However, I am no artist when it comes to creating other assets like tokens. If I create a Roll20 module for the marketplace, what tokens can I legally use? Do I need to partner with an artist to get some custom made? Most token packs are licensed for private non-commercial use only. Is that correct? Are there other places to go to get assets for use to include in a marketplace adventure? I'm not looking to steal or sell anyone else's work, I just need to populate my modules with the appropriate creatures. Thanks in advance for help!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
IANAL, but in general: Licensed art (Monster Manual, etc.) is off-limits, of course. You can partner with an artist, absolutely. Work out a contract. Many artists (including marketplace artists) are open to communication. If you would like to use their art, contact them directly and ask for permission and/or rates. As for where to find artists in general, that's beyond the scope of the Roll20 forums, but you can advertise on Reddit, rpg.net, or similar.

Edited 1592556572
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
If you were to buy my tokens in the marketplace, yes, it's a non-commercial use license for your game, and is likely that way for most artists unless they specifically say that it's for stock use. I put a caveat that paid DMs are welcome to use my tokens for their games. Most artists, contacted privately, would probably be willing to sell you a commercial use license to include it in a premade campaign. It won't be too hard. :) Yes, you either need to do a partnership or buy stock or find public domain images. Or you could, if you don't draw, pose premade 3D characters. You could even learn to draw. It's not that hard for someone who can make a map... unless you used stamp assets only. The top-down view is harder than a front view.
Thanks folks. This is really helpful. I think at this point I'll fine tune an adventure, develop the pdf with placeholder images, and work on bringing everything I can over the Roll20. Then, when I know exactly what art assets I'll need, I'll look into contacting some artists (here or elsewhere) about getting a commercial license for the specific assets I need. Thanks again.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Right, just remember you can't actually hire anyone on the forums here. You will have to privately contact artists through their social media rather than doing business here. There are tons of art specific places though, so you won't have trouble if you search around a bit on Google or major art-portfolio sites. :) You won't get in any trouble for using anything as placeholder art, and that will let you get a list of what you really need together and plan for the expense or figure out how to do it yourself.