Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Potential Issues with Curse of Strahd Content/Dynamic Lighting

Edited 1592576054
I am extremely new to the site (so solid chance this is user error), but I am seeing some oddities with the Curse of Strahd module I recently purchased. When in the game and accessing the art library tab on the sidebar, I have nothing listed under Marketplace Purchases (I'd expect to see CoS tokens and such here?) or Subscription Sets (I do have a Plus subscription active). I do not see anywhere else with just a list of tokens that come with the module? It appears a lot of the maps have tokens already placed, but if I wanted to add anything like random encounters, I am unclear where to grab these from. Dynamic lighting is giving me all kinds of weird issues. WIth dynamic lighting and explorer mode enabled, the entirety of the map is not covered. Instead, it looks like sections of the map are and others are not? All I did was toggle the options on under dynamic lighting for the page. I have not messed with any existing shapes or drawn any new ones. Hard to word so, here is an example: To clarify the overarching goal I am trying to accomplish, I'm envisioning this like old school Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games. All maps are dark and walls block vision (until a room is entered). Once entered, a room is still revealed on the map for the players, maybe just dimmed if they are not actively in the room any longer. I am also not super worried about dark vision at this exact moment; if a player enters a room, boom its reveled and they can see. Trying to get the handle on the basics first before diving into what one player sees versus another. Apologies for the noob post! Thanks in advance for any clarity that can be offered.
You only have access to the Curse of Strahd content in the games you create based on that module.  The tokens are tied to the character sheets for each creature.  You can find them in the journal under Named NPCs and Monsters.  Drag the name onto the map to get the token. As for the lighting issue, I don't know what is causing that, but I would recommend using the legacy lighting, as it works fine.  For the effect you want you need to use dynamic lighting and advanced fog of war.  The rooms will be dark, so the characters will need torches or lanterns to see anything.  You need to set their tokens to have sight and a light radius.  Use this instead of the updated lighting tab.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The screen shot shows a known issue at some magnifications. I believe they only occur on a Macintosh. I would second (and third if I could) Marks suggestion to use the lighting in Legacy. The modules are already pre-set for legacy, and Legacy is a mature solution, while Updated is in development. You will save yourself a lot of frustration.
Thanks, gents! I figured it was something like just looking in the wrong place for the CoS tokens. That said, should I see anything under the subscription sets section, or is that only for the top tier subscription level? As for the other item, I am indeed currently running on a Mac. The issue appears at all levels of zoom, but zooming in and out definitely makes the problem even worse. I will play around with the legacy lighting for now and simply try to stay on top of any new versions for the updated system. Once again, thanks for that help/rapid response!