Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token File Formatting

Hello, I am a new Roll20 DM and have a group I play with on a weekly basis, and we have a new side NPC we want to use an existing image of within the roll20 interface. I used a .png and erased all the empty space around the image, and when uploading it still shows as a white rectangle around the image. What file type/process is there to make tokens have that see through ability? Thank you all for your help in advance, no advice is bad advice. Scott
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You'd want to use a .png, as you are, but you'll need to enable transparency on it, and delete the background rather than blanking it to white.  If you don't export with transparency, it will also end up with a solid color.

Edited 1592643090
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, a png is right, but sometimes you need to specifically check a box that says "export with transparent background" or make sure that the background layer that the program automatically generated is turned off or set to transparent. It varies from program to program. If you can't figure it out, Photopea is an in browser free raster program that I know you can use for exporting transparency background tokens. There's also a token-maker some people talk about, but I can't remember what it's called or if it does transparencies or just pairs images with frames.

Edited 1592654717
tokentool is an excellent tool that does all this work for you. It also allows you to add one of their borders around the image. It allows the creation of circular or rectangular tokens, and it does all the transparency work for you. You just drag an existing image into the tool window, and then choose the best image - it provides zoom-in/out to get the perfect size for your token too.
Thank you everyone! This is all great information!