Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Create a free account

Script: Tongues - controlling player not able to see message

1593063999
Using my test player login, I am able to send a message using a character token, but I do not see the whispered "fluent" message at all.  I have deleted and replaced the script, the language handout, and the token to no avail.  I can't figure out why I am able to send a message but all I see as the test player is the gibberish output of any messages sent to that language.  As GM I see both the gibberish message and the whispered fluent message.
1593092216
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Just on the off chance the fix is a simple one, is the token "Represents" field set to your language character sheet?
1593096066
Ravenknight
KS Backer
There is probably something wrong with the language handout. Do you use markdown or anything that could mess with it? Also, I've noticed that I have the same problem when adding the language in manually. Using the !tongues --set [Language] works though. 
1593096735
I have the "language" character sheets ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5899495/stupid-roll20-tricks-and-some-clever-ones/?pageforid=5932164#post-5932164" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5899495/stupid-roll20-tricks-and-some-clever-ones/?pageforid=5932164#post-5932164</a> ) working with a simple macro. That's not my issue, but thank you for checking! My issue is using the "Tongues" script API ( <a href="https://github.com/sarkamist/Tongues-Script" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/sarkamist/Tongues-Script</a> ). The player is able to send a message in Elvish, but does not see any messages that are sent in Elvish.&nbsp; The character is listed as in the GM notes on the Tongues:Elvish &nbsp;handout at 100% fluency.&nbsp;&nbsp; In case I'm misunderstanding what you're referencing, yes the character token is set to represent the same character sheet. I also set the Tongues:Elvish &nbsp;character sheet to be editable by the player just in case, and that hasn't had any effect either.
1593097331
Ravenknight said: There is probably something wrong with the language handout. Do you use markdown or anything that could mess with it? Also, I've noticed that I have the same problem when adding the language in manually. Using the&nbsp;!tongues --set [Language] works though.&nbsp; I didn't use any markdown - I copied the Elvish language translation words directly from the Github examples (and pasted them using Shift-Command-V to remove any formatting).&nbsp; I also set all the languages using the !tongues --set command, created the ability token macros using the !tongues --ability command, and created the handouts using the !tongues --create command.&nbsp; It works for me as the GM to see both the gibberish and the translated whisper message, but not for the test player account.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm wondering if there's a step that I've missed somewhere, or what I should see if it is working correctly!&nbsp; Thanks for your response.
1593098460
Ravenknight
KS Backer
What happens if you don't use the percentage and just have the character name listed?
1593099608
Ravenknight said: What happens if you don't use the percentage and just have the character name listed? It doesn't seem to matter. I've used two different characters - one with percentage and one without. I've tried different languages. Screenshot of what I see as GM: Screenshot of what my tester player sees: Screenshot of Elvish Language handout:
1593100607
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Sorry, Jarren. I'm all out ideas. It looks right.
1593101705

Edited 1593103925
Ravenknight
KS Backer
I've tried adding languages myself and there is something fishy going on here. I got the same error as you did when using percentage, but the handout looks alright. Wonder if there are some hidden characters in there. !tongues --set Infernal (Works, kinda, still need to add a comma manually to the handout) !tongues --set Infernal:100 (Breaks the handout) Looks like editing the handout after set-up, from Commoner to Commoner:100 &nbsp;works. &nbsp;No, it still breaks. My suggestion is to drop the percentage.
1593113497
Thanks for troubleshooting, Ravenknight.&nbsp; I'm hoping someone else may have encountered this issue or have some insight!
1594095535
Sorry for the late reply, but my players have also been experiencing this in some cases! Notedly, my Draconic, iirc. I have one player who was able to translate Draconic before, yet for the past couple months he hasn't been able to understand Draconic, even with 100% fluency.&nbsp; Hope all goes well for you in the meantime, it hasn't seemed to influence much in my games, they all just like to translate aloud anyway haha!