Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weather Overlay Glitching out

Hi everyone,  I recently purchased the Weather Overlay from the marketplace and am very pleased with the results. It looks really good! However I encountered a problem/glitch while using it and am unsure if its the issue with my hardware, browser or the script itself. I am using google chrome, and have cleared all internet cache. While using the overlay, sometimes if i were to switch active tabs, the animation or gif overlay will glitch, resulting in the below instead of the usual transparent layer: Is anyone else facing this problem, if so how did you resolve it?? Thanks in advance!
Can you try it again without the browser extension that creates that little 'tk' on the bottom right of the token? If that solves it, you know the culprit.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hey Ken, You can try updating your browser to the latest version and changing its Hardware Acceleration setting. In some cases that seemed to solve the problem at the cost of slightly higher CPU usage. You can also try with a different browser (Firefox and Chrome seem to work best). I don't know why it happens nor have a definitive answer on how to stop it, but I suspect it's something Roll20 will need to fix eventually as the animations themselves work great out of the platform. Cheers!
Hey Martijn, Nick, I've tried both methods. Removing the browser extension, using updated chrome browser and toggling hardware acceleration on & off. To no avail... Have yet to try Firefox. Meanwhile, i found that pausing the animation when alt-tabbing away from roll20 helps to prevent it from glitching out. So i guess that will be the hotfix for now. Pausing when i'm going away, turning it on again when im back. Thanks for the help guys!
Has anyone used any of the other animated assets? I was thinking about purchasing one to liven up some trap encounters. I can not find a thread on these products and this is the closet to addressing animated assets. I would want to keep the animated trap in the GM layer till it activates or even have it activated in a room already. Any thoughts and experience?
I am not sure about animated traps as i havent got one. But I reckon it works as the weather. It is essentially a transparent gif/webm that you can drag around in the grid like a token. You shoubld be able to put it in the GM layer and pause the animation to conserve your CPU processing. Then animate it and shift it to the token layer to "activate" the trap.