Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Shared health across similar Monsters

I recently began setting up a fortress full of goblins. There were only five different monster types in the fortress, so I made an NPC entry for each monster type and then assigned each token to the type it belonged to- goblin, hobgoblin, bugbear, etc. I set the tokens up so that the health bar showed above each token. However, when I modified the health of any of the monsters, the modification applied to all other tokens with that same monster type (if one goblin got hit for 3 damage, all goblins lost 3 health). The work-around that I used was to make copies of each of the monster types and then number each one, so I had "Goblin 1," "Goblin 2," "Goblin 3," etc. This felt really clumsy, and was pretty time consuming, since I had dozens of monsters in the fortress. In the past, I've used tokens that were not assigned to any stat block and just kept track of everything manually, but it meant manually rolling dice for their attack and initiative, which I felt like slowed the combat down quite a bit. I like having the ability to roll from the stat blocks by clicking. Is there a way to create a single NPC stat block that applies to a group of creatures, without having any changes to health affect every creature at once? 
Actually, I did just find a better way to do it. I had each token set so that Bar 1 would query the hp of the NPC stat block, so changes made to Bar 1 of any token would affect the hp of the stat block and then propagate to the other tokens. I changed it so that Bar 1 was set to "none" and then manually entered the creature's health. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you set the token's bar1 to the HP attribute, and then set it back to none, it will take the creature's HP but remove the link. If you then set that token as the default token for the creature, all future tokens created from that creature will have the proper hp.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Kyle, You've hit on one solution. The links describing the "traditional" method are as follows: Here is the wiki article on  Linking Tokens to Journals Here is a  video  which demos the procedure