Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help regarding api's

Hey, i'm fairly new to D&D (around 4-5 months).  Im going to be running Curse of Strahd for some friends so I've just watched Nick S's Deathhouse video, and i love the utility menu and gm-notes that is used.  I just upgraded my roll20 to pro and ha ve got my head around the dynamic lighting which is super cool. What i'm asking for a little help with is api scripts, i've been trying to find maybe a video or web page that gives a general description on how to use them. Like, find them here, install like this, here's how its used in game. Not having much luck with this, i found the dropdown menu with a lot in there so i installed groupinitiative but then when i go in game i have no idea how to find it or use it (i'm probably being a dumb noob) can anyone possibly point me in the right direction or give me a little summery of what to do, my squishy nerd heart would be forever in your debt :)  Thanks Craig.
Ok so ive got somewhere up to now, didn't realise these scripts have to be linked to a macro.

Edited 1594124729
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Nick Olivo has some nice videos about using and writing API scripts:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasOlivo/playlists" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/user/NicholasOlivo/playlists</a> I'm not sure what you mean about linked to a macro, but most API scripts have a chat command associated with them.&nbsp;
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A lot of the good API scripts in the One-Click library have a README page that explains in detail how to use the scripts. Unfortunately, a lot of them also don't have any README information.
Thanks guys, found some videos and got my head around it, linking to the macro meaning i didnt know once the api was set up that i could set the api to a macro button on screen instead of having to type for them in chat.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Upgraded to Pro today and.. yeah. I noticed that many of them either has no information, or the information is a single line saying something like "this script adds this and that function"... and I'm like "okay..... but how?" I also noticed that some of them that does indeed have a TON of information, is also missing some crucial noob information. Like... if we take an example I noticed today with the still very amazing Torch script, dang that script is nice. But.... when they describe the different attributes we can add to the command they have this as an example: !torch [&lt;Radius&gt; [&lt;Dim Start&gt; [&lt;All Players&gt; [&lt;Token ID&gt;|&lt;--Angle&gt; ... ]]]] followed by a list explaining what those settings does, and some default values, but... there is no mentioning on where those attributes should go in. Like... Radius for instance.. are we talking about &lt;Radius10&gt; or &lt;Radius="10"&gt; or perhaps &lt;Radius&gt;=10, and so on. And that's just Torch. There are a lot of Amazing super cool scripts out there with well fleshed out readmes... but many of them, if not most of them, kinda miss those fundamental steps, instead assuming that people will instantly understand exactly where this or that should be added in the syntax, and so on. So, that's a bit tricky, and reading the API Wiki doesn't really help much on that most of the times. :P BUT... I can confirm, Nick O, videos are REALLY great, and goes through scripts from scratch, with writing them on video, and then adding stuff to them also in video, and explaining what every single detail in the code does, and so on.. That's incredibly valuable! &lt;3 :D Stephen L. said: Unfortunately, a lot of them also don't have any README information.

Edited 1594905643
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah yes... I really should fix that documentation.&nbsp; The [ ] just wraps an optional part, so that's saying you could do: !torch !torch 30 !torch 20 10 !torch 30 10 yes !torch 60 -5 no @{target|token_id} I can send you more help on that, just let me know.
Yeah I totally agree that they need a little more info on how stuff works.&nbsp; When i upgraded to Pro I honestly thought there would be either a README or videos on the roll20 page saying something like "Now that you have upgraded here's all the info you need on what this pro sub gets you"&nbsp; Instead here's a list of what you get with tiny explanations to what they are.&nbsp; That being said there is soooooo much content online explaining everything which is nice, just took me a while to find a decent video explaining how the api's work.&nbsp; All in all i dont think i could go back to the free sub now, api's and dynamic lighting is just amazing.&nbsp;&nbsp;