Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic light shadows opacity

Is there any way to change the opacity of the shadows on a map? Yeah, I know that there might be tricks like setting light sources with multiple dim lights, but it doesn't really work for dungeons with lots of corridors, columns, and obstacles. As in, for instance, what my players see:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.gyazo.com/f25c4973a9353ad65dacbbd434316d82.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.gyazo.com/f25c4973a9353ad65dacbbd434316d82.png</a> &nbsp;What I'd like for my players to see:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.gyazo.com/597284ed69640a0ea505d0ad6ad4ca68.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.gyazo.com/597284ed69640a0ea505d0ad6ad4ca68.png</a> &nbsp;Is there any way to do that?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I do not believe this is possible to do within the Roll20 capabilities.

Edited 1594100958
keithcurtis said: I do not believe this is possible to do within the Roll20 capabilities. It does work for DMs, though. The slider allows for shadow opacity, but only for DMs. So I wager it is possible, just not implemented (hopefully: yet) C: But thank you nonetheless.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If the map is revealed for the players (either through FoW or AFoW) it should look pretty similar to your second screenshot, shouldn't it?
Oosh said: If the map is revealed for the players (either through FoW or AFoW) it should look pretty similar to your second screenshot, shouldn't it? When I check player lightning via ctrl+L, it doesn't fsr..? Or maybe this mode doesn't work the way I think it does?

Edited 1594152407
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ctrl-L is lousy for determining player view. It is meant as a line of sight tool, and does not accurately show the player experience. It displays the GM layer and does not correctly recognize extremal light sources for instance. For best testing, create a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;and log in in a separate browser or an incognito tab (to avoid confusing Roll20 as to who is logged into the game). And yes, the GM view will show DL shadow differently than a player, but the feature is meant to control visibility and keep hidden things hidden. You can get something like what you want with either new or old Fog of War, but you would need to reveal the entire map ahead of time so they could see the fogged portions.

Edited 1594157972
keithcurtis said: Ctrl-L is lousy for determining player view. It is meant as a line of sight tool, and does not accurately show the player experience. It displays the GM layer and does not correctly recognize extremal light sources for instance. For best testing, create a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;and log in in a separate browser or an incognito tab (to avoid confusing Roll20 as to who is logged into the game). And yes, the GM view will show DL shadow differently than a player, but the feature is meant to control visibility and keep hidden things hidden. You can get something like what you want with either new or old Fog of War, but you would need to reveal the entire map ahead of time so they could see the fogged portions. Unfortunately, I asked the player to get into the game and screencap, and it's the very same for them too. Just pure blackness where shadows or no los is.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Do you have advanced fog of war enabled, and did you move their token around to expose that part of the map to them to see how the shadows look after doing so?
Kraynic said: Do you have advanced fog of war enabled, and did you move their token around to expose that part of the map to them to see how the shadows look after doing so? Indeed I do and they had. I'm feeling we might just be encountering a bug.

Edited 1594190377
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Have you tried the manual reveal tool and regular Fog of War? Might narrow down the problem. It should look like this, if the map has been revealed:
Oosh said: Have you tried the manual reveal tool and regular Fog of War? Might narrow down the problem. It should look like this, if the map has been revealed: I'll try that next time we have a session!