Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Maps Blurring On Reload

Edited 1594136464
Hey! I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem and, if so, how you fixed it?  When I load a map in, it is perfectly clear. I made sure it is a high res image and that it is at the right size, but when I reload it, it turns blurry. This is happening on every map that I make now and it's driving me nuts!  **Clarification: I can switch between maps and they remain clear... The blur doesn't happen until I close Roll20 out and log back in. I've given it wait time to see if maybe it was a slow load, but that's not helping. I've also cleared chat logs and such to keep that from bogging it down as well. Any suggestions? Thank you so much for the help! 
After the restart of Roll20, What do you see if click on this image and press Z? Does that map look ok? Roll20 progressively loads more detailed images. Might be a network problem and it takes longer to load the detailed image than you are willing to wait.  Pressing Z shows the original - hence most detailed - version as an full window overlay. If that takes very long, you'll know the culprit. You can save this image and see how large it became during upload - it is not uncommon for jpg's to become 40-50MB large and loading that can take some time. 
When I hit z, everything remains the same. I thought it was a network issue as well, but myself and my players all waited for about 15 minutes and it never loaded. We figured out last night that, if we zoom all the way out on the image, then all the way back in a couple times, that it will clear up.   It also is only effecting images that I've posted since Sunday-- nothing else is being effected, and I know I have some higher resolution photos on my previous maps. For example, if I post the exact same map that I used two weeks ago, the new map will blur upon reloading while the old one remains normal. 
A few thing can affect this, large higher resolution maps, and a large campaign with a lot of maps and character sheets. I have one such campaign that has fair amount and I see this happen when the campaign loads up, but after it loads it usually not an issue beyond that.
If after hitting Z and the image still looking blurred. Did you save the image locally and inspect it in another program (like an image viewer)? What is the name of that saved image, something with original in the name?  What is the file size of that image (compared to the file you uploaded). Anyhow if that other image is also blurred, try to upload the map again and delete the previous uploaded version.