Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Another Hex Grid Thread

I'm fully aware that this is kind of unhinged and not especially civil, but well, dealing with his has me posting while unhinged :( It can't honestly be the case that you have to do manual adjusts for hours to get a approximation of accurate hex sizes if you're lucky. I have a 4200x4200 hex map that is 30 complete hexes tall. Therefore, setting the page to 4200x4200, a grid to Hex (H), and a cell height of 1/30th the height (140px) should be all that is needed. But, The grid draws 25 hexes and a partial hex vertically. Apparently, some of these numbers are just named wrong and there's something else going on. So what is actually being done with these numbers to determine the hex drawing? I'm willing to just do the math myself but I don't feel like reverse engineering or using guesswork and tweaking to solve what is a math problem. (Later after attempting "just manually tweak it") Even trying to just dial "Cell Height" to fractional numbers, I get pretty close to the 30 complete hexes tall, but then I discover a horrific horizontal drift, the roll20 hexes are too wide! How does, say, the Tomb of Annihilation travel module handle getting a pre-hexed map with a proper grid? Or does it do something different? I don't really want to buy it just to see how they math it out. I know I can't threaten to unsubscribe and get anything, can I offer like a bounty for "functional hex grids"? It's not like there's a lack of interest, there's 7+ years of posts about it. Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath, dynamic lighting+advanced fog of war are still broken. On the off chance that somebody else using Campaign Cartographer to generate hex maps has already solved this, is there some tweak you've done with your map to get it to align with Roll20 hexes?

Edited 1594231056
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think us hex grid users are a fairly small minority of users.  If you aren't aware of it already, there is a pretty big issue with attempting to set a number of grid units and thinking your map with match: the map page is still using square grid units in the background and then laying a hex grid over that.  In my experience, the only way to set up a hex grid is manually: 1.  Set your page size much larger than you want, just to be sure you have enough room.  2.  Be sure the hex grid orientation of the page (vertical/horizontal) is the same as your map. 3.  Drop your image on the page, and set dimensions to something easy to grab/see.  I usually start at 10 by 10 units minimum. 4.  Right click the image and select "Is Drawing" from the advanced menu (now it doesn't snap to grid). 5.  Align the image upper left hand corner with a grid intersection as best you can.  Usually I do this leaving a border of at least a 2 cell border at the left and top. 6.  Grab the right edge of the image and drag it right until things line up along the top edge, or are close. You may need to go back and realign the left upper corner depending on how things stretch, of if the start of the grid on your image doesn't actually start at the image edge. 7.  Grab the bottom edge of the image and drag it down until things line up vertically.  Again, depending on how things stretch, you may need to go back and realign your anchor point in the upper left corner. 8.  Repeat 5-7 as needed to get things set to your satisfaction and then set the map page grid to fully transparent. 9. Shrink your map page size back down to whatever you desire. The only time I have had an issue doing this is with maps from old modules that were scanned and posted crooked.  In which case, you can try to rotate your image to get things lined up.  Since the image is already marked as a drawing, it shouldn't try to snap to any orientation while rotating, but I haven't fussy enough to mess with rotation myself. Do this a time or 2, and it is really a fairly quick and trouble free way to match grids (hex or square).