Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC control

Hey y'all, been reading up on giving PCs control of an NPC. Can't do it the conventional way by editing the character sheet applying a PC's name to the list, doesn't seem to change anything. Tried the macro " !token-mod --set controlledby|+?{Player name to add}" , but I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong.  Copy/pasted into the macro-maker. When I apply the appropriate name and test the macro, it asks me to include a value, and I'm lost from there.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Are you doing this in a game created by an active pro subscriber who has the TokenMod API script installed?
Nope, no subscribers here. :-/
The command you are using is calling an API script, which must be installed on the game and only accessible by a pro subscriber.
Since the normal method of editing a character sheet and the "can be controlled by" isn't working for this particular instance...uh, any suggestions?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What do you mean the normal method of editing the sheet isnt working? if you're the GM or the sheet's controller, and cant edit a sheet, that;s a bug and you will likely need roll20's help to fix it.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
How does it not work?  Do you not see the edit button?  Does it not bring up the edit screen for the sheet?  Do you have both the view and edit permissions set for each player (view only allows someone to see the Bio & Info tab)?  More details, and possibly screenshots of what you are seeing would be helpful for people to be able to help you.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Double checking also: You are either the creator or the assigned GM of the game?

Edited 1594255794
Keith-Yes, am GM. Et al-Edit button for character sheets and NPCs functions normally, but assigning control of the NPC to the according player bears no results. I am still able to control the NPC, but the assigned player cannot move or roll for the NPC.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And you have verified that the token that they are attempting to move actually represents that particular character? I.e., not trusted that the default is correct, but opened the specific placed token that they are trying to control and verified that it is connected to that actual sheet? You can make super sure by alt-double-clicking on that token to open up the sheet, press edit and check the permissions. Make sure also that you and the player are both on the same page and trying to move the same, verified token, and that it is on the Token Object Layer. Sorry for the pedantic step-by-step checking, but this is pretty core functionality and should just work without issue. Most of the times something like this is reported, it is a procedural error and not an actual bug.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I might also suggest giving permission to All Players, just to rule out any issues with player names for the time being.
keithcurtis said: And you have verified that the token that they are attempting to move actually represents that particular character? I.e., not trusted that the default is correct, but opened the specific placed token that they are trying to control and verified that it is connected to that actual sheet? You can make super sure by alt-double-clicking on that token to open up the sheet, press edit and check the permissions. Make sure also that you and the player are both on the same page and trying to move the same, verified token, and that it is on the Token Object Layer. Sorry for the pedantic step-by-step checking, but this is pretty core functionality and should just work without issue. Most of the times something like this is reported, it is a procedural error and not an actual bug. No need for apologies, Keith! I appreciate y'all sticking through it with me. Your last statement was more or less where my head was at, but I don't know where in the procedure I'm going wrong. I've used the Elsa token multiple times, adjusted control BEFORE placing it on the map, from the journal. I haven't attempted adjusting the actual token after it's been placed on the map, and will attempt this next session. Elsa is a copy of the Dire Wolf monster, that I was attempting to turn into one of my PC's animal companions. I had copied the dire wolf, renamed the copy Elsa, and attempted to adjust control as aforementioned. Might this have anything to do with it?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Unless you reassigned the token to the new sheet at some point, it still likely points back to Dire Wolf, even if you drag out the Elsa creature from the journals. Copying the sheet and reassigning its control to a player has no effect on the sheet's default token.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
These steps should work: Copy sheet and rename it Elsa. Drag it onto the VTT. Open the token settings Assign the token to the Elsa character sheet. Open the sheet and press Edit. Delete the old default token on the sheet and assign the adjusted token to be the new default. Now when you drag Elsa onto the VTT, you should get the new default token that is linked to the Elsa sheet.
Success, Keith! Felt like I tried all this before, but whadda I know?? :D Thanks for the help! keithcurtis said: These steps should work: Copy sheet and rename it Elsa. Drag it onto the VTT. Open the token settings Assign the token to the Elsa character sheet. Open the sheet and press Edit. Delete the old default token on the sheet and assign the adjusted token to be the new default. Now when you drag Elsa onto the VTT, you should get the new default token that is linked to the Elsa sheet.