Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG][5E][EST][Mondays] DM looking for 2 additional players to round out a play group

Mondays – 7:30 pm to ~11 PM EST - We would like a minimum of 3 hours per week. Sessions may run longer if EVERYONE agrees. Otherwise, we need players who can commit each week to 3 hours (excluding special circumstances: We're role-players not monsters). We use voice chat as our primary form of play and have a place to connect on Discord when not using Roll20. I am the DM of a campaign that has been running continuously for nearly 2 years and do to a recent schedule change my group is splitting into two separate smaller groups to accommodate the change and since this makes one of the groups too small for good play we thought that it would be a good time to add a couple new players to the group. The current party in need is three level 11 characters. We are happy to teach new players and explain anything about the homebrew setting we use. We don't ask for any extreme roleplay or voices just an awareness of the setting and an attempt to keep your character in character. If you are interested I'm happy to talk with you and help us find the common ground. We have all the core books and a few expansion supplements and are happy to look things up for you if needed. We do use some homebrew rules but they mostly just work to improve quality of play. My preferred DMing style is what I like to refer to as "Living world" where any non-player character introduced will continue to go about doing things "off screen" and the players actions can have effects that reach farther than they might expect. I run a reasonable amount of house rules but mostly they are there to improve fun and the hardiness of characters since I like to play encounters realistically. E.g. A character who heals may take more aggro and a charater who shows themselves resistant to physical damage may be avoided until softer targets are defeated. But I am not one to avoid social encounters either. Mostly we play in the theater of the mind but I'm not afraid to use tiles for combat if it improves the experience. I don't use alignment since I want my players to make realistic choices not forced ones. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. We play Mondays 7:30pm EST to ~11pm according to breaks in story or player schedules. My style tends to lean towards Characters/story>rules but mainly due to a belief that the rules are more flexible than you would expect. I recommend being open to a backup character if you are interested in playing since new players to my style sometimes have a habit of tapping out early and those who play longer tend to find a character with their goals fulfilled would rather retire in dignity and hand off the baton. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. The setting is the Boundless Winds Empire ( Citizens are often referred to as Boundless). As far as technology at its height it was at roughly 15th century Europe levels with some influence of magical elements to grease the wheels and improve lives. Even at it's full power it's days of imperial expansion were mostly behind it as its boarders stretched to its mountain boarders to the north, west, and south. The Kirov Meritocracy, a small nation on its western border, lost much of its territory to the empire during its years of expansion and now struggles to survive on what little territory it still holds. The empire had quality roads, canals and tracks for the shipment of goods, and even simple black powder guns. All benefits of many resources and few enemies which allowed their cities to grown and strengthen the empires control. Many cities and towns varied wildly as they put focus on their exports and technologies giving each a somewhat unique feeling even as architecture leaned towards Gothic in design. The setting has the players as citizens of a fallen empire whose end 150 years ago is unclear with the only clue being a curtain of red magic running to the horizons and a missing populace. Players, descendants of southern farming families who survived the fall, currently live within the walls of partially reclaimed city of Grimstead. With the fall of the Empire such an unclear event there is a call for those with curiosity or simply a love of coin to search for clues and bring back news of the wider world. After two years of IRL time and 35 years of game time the world has changed and new threats force the people of the Boundless Winds to clutch their holy symbols and sharpen their blades. Darkness stretches out from old bastions of terror as new threats nibble at the edges of the tattered cloth of the empire. Madness sleeps in dark quite places but the light sears and burns with it's own fury. Undo the dark machinations of the Master of the Space Between before he and his minions rewrite the world in his twisted image. (LGBT+ Friendly) If this sounds appealing consider filling out a simple survey. A large portion of the setting is already set but I like to leave pieces empty for players to insert themselves into the core of the setting. As a result I am often willing to let joining players try something a little strange or different if I think it adds to the world in a meaningful way. What kind of players am I looking for? Anybody is welcome to apply! Roleplay is welcome and appreciated but I am looking primarily for players that are able to play their character as a person and willing to get to know their fellow players accents or not. I'm not just looking for a group of strangers that would just show up once a week then disappear. I am looking for a group of players that can become friends and chat with each other in between games.  Players of all experience levels are welcome, though rules lawyers will likely be frustrated. I believe that the DM should have final say on the rules of the game, although some input from the players here and there is always welcome. In the end I am trying to craft an experience we all can enjoy so I love feedback or both what my players liked and what they think could have been better. If this sounds like something that you would enjoy and you are looking for a group of fairly casual and friendly players then feel free to fill this out and either send it to me in a PM or post it below so perhaps another DM or group of players might see it and bring you into another game. Preferred Name: Preferred Pronouns (he/she/etc): Age: Discord name (including the 4 numbers at the end): A pitch for a character you think would be interesting to play mechanics or flavorwise: What you generally look for in a campaign/playgroup/DM: How would you best describe yourself in a quote: Favorite fantasy character book/movie/etc: Favorite flavor of ice cream and favorite animal:

Edited 1594269483
I have to say, this does appeal to me!  I tend to be a pretty adaptable player, so if my character pitch wouldn't fit in with the group I'd be willing to adjust to a different one.  But here's the concept: Preferred Name: Derek Pronouns: He/Him Age: 27 Discord: Ukoen#4204 Character Pitch: Dust On The Road (Dust for short) is a Tabaxi duelist (Rogue Swashbuckler/Hexblade Warlock multiclass) and explorer.  Son of an ambassador for his clan (Courtier background), he has traveled the land since his youth, spreading tales of their homeland and their tribe, while learning more about the inhabitants of lands far from their own.  The Tabaxi are naturally drawn to lore, as is well known, their natural inquisitiveness endearing them to those they visit.  Having been a curious child, Dust's father kept him distracted by pawning him off to the local Master-at-Arms wherever they visited.  As such, he became quite skilled in the art of dueling (swashbuckling).  As a future ambassador and courtier himself, dueling was a way of life.  He was strong-headed in his youth, and as a result was sent off by his father upon coming of age.  His people felt that he would do well to gain some world-experience, past the extent that he would gain by following in his father's footsteps.  And so he set out, into strange lands, looking to learn from its people and assist where he could. (A rough backstory, one that I intend to iron out.) What you generally look for in a campaign/playgroup/DM: A group of players that can play off one another.  Can interact with one another and snowball.  Think improv in a way.  "Yes, and..."  I think it makes it far more engaging.  As for a DM, I'm a firm believer that the DM has the final say.  I like a DM that's willing to work with the players and feed into their interactions. Best Describe Myself in a Quote : A kind-hearted smartass that is willing to stick to a bit for a decent payoff. Favorite Fantasy Character:  Logen Ninefingers.  The Bloody Nine.  You have to be realistic about these things. Favorite Ice Cream Flavor and Animal: Mint Chocolate Chip and Otters.
Preferred Name: Watch Preferred Pronouns (he/she/etc): He Age: 19 Discord name (including the 4 numbers at the end):  Skywatch Silver#2931 A pitch for a character you think would be interesting to play mechanics or flavorwise: I personally like playing homebrewed classes (please do not let this deter you, I do it for simple exploration and will always confirm it with the DM and players to make sure they are okay with it and believe it is balanced. I am always willing to play something else should it not be agreed upon). I have recently picked up a class called Tech-Priest (think of a Half-Warforged Human Artificer) for 5e that I’ve been balancing and fixing, and have recently been trying to playtest it. I have all the info and the link, however if you or a player doesn’t want me playing it, I have a few other ideas I’ve been wanting to try out. Those range from a Barbarian Chainsmith, a Monk Gunslinger, and an Unbreakable Paladin. What you generally look for in a campaign/playgroup/DM: I just want to have fun and tell a story. I completely agree with DM having the final say in rules, and personally prefer the Rule of Fun. As well as that, I love long sessions, taking time away from reality (especially in this day and age) and being able to have fun. How would you best describe yourself in a quote:  “I don’t know the answer. Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place.” Favorite fantasy character book/movie/etc: Uncle Iroh Favorite flavor of ice cream and favorite animal: Vanilla Bean (yes I know, plain-jane), and Ferrets
Preferred Name:  Daren Preferred Pronouns (he/she/etc): Him Age: 25 Discord name (including the 4 numbers at the end): Renegade Scientist 0785 A pitch for a character you think would be interesting to play mechanics or flavorwise: I've been wanting to dive back into a support Cleric, where I don't really focus a whole lot on damage but instead on healing, buffing, protecting the team where possible. I enjoy being useful and depended on. But depending on the needs of the group I can load up any of my numerous character ideas. What you generally look for in a campaign/playgroup/DM: Good story, immersion in the game with a certain level of taking things seriously. How would you best describe yourself in a quote: "The planet broke before the Guard did." Favorite fantasy character book/movie/etc: Avatar the Last Airbender series. Favorite flavor of ice cream and favorite animal: Cookie Dough. Cats. If you think I could be a good fit for you guys, feel free to message me here in Roll20 or Discord. I'd love a chance to get into a story again.
Preferred Name: Toastyr, its nice to meet ya Preferred Pronouns (he/she/etc): he/him or she/her Age: 20 Discord name (including the 4 numbers at the end):  Toastyr#4753 A pitch for a character you think would be interesting to play mechanics or flavorwise: If it's allowed, an undead skeleton (lich?) wizard named Grant who has been undead for so long that he doesn't even remember how or why he became one, and he is incredibly bored with it. Every time he gets "killed" in battle it seems to take longer for his body to reform, and the last time it took 500 years, so he is really just trying to figure out how to die permanently at this point. He's a sassy suicidal skeleton and he definitely sounds like Skeletor. (I can come up with the reason he became undead or if the dm wants to and keep it a surprise I'm also totally ok with that) What you generally look for in a campaign/playgroup/DM: Mainly a group of friends who want to have fun and play through a story together. I think I have the most fun in campaigns with a real story/characters/world, with the freedom for goofs and goofy aspects to characters. I do stand up and once got paid $15 to perform, so if everyone around the table is laughing, I think it's a success. I also just love the stories both planned and unplanned that can happen in D&D, you can't get it anywhere else. How would you best describe yourself in a quote: "A fool at heart, a friend in practice" my friend Tucker when asked to describe me in a quote. Favorite fantasy character book/movie/etc: Toph from Avatar, Leo Valdez from Percy Jackson, or Mort from Discworld Favorite flavor of ice cream and favorite animal: cookies & cream and red pandas (neither red nor pandas, but very cute)
Sent an app via DM ! 
Thank you all for showing interest both here and in direct messages. The entries are now under review by the play group.
Preferred Name: WIlliam Preferred Pronouns (he/she/etc): They / Them Age: 22 Discord name (including the 4 numbers at the end): Charizard97#0155 A pitch for a character you think would be interesting to play mechanics or flavorwise: An Orc monk, I always have just loved that combo of the aggression of an Orc toned down by the control of a monk. it's just such a unique combo that leads its in interesting ways, are they going to be instances where the rage of the monk overpowers the control of a monk and takes over or will he always be able to remain in control? Only time can tell and I would love to explore that. What you generally look for in a campaign/playgroup/DM: I just look for a group of people who can be friends with one another, and no one talks over the other. Everyone just clearly respects why at the other has to say, and the roleplay flows naturally.The Dm has to be willing to let the players be creative, and reward them for it but not too much. The Dm also cant punish the players too harshly or it can ruin the flow of a story. How would you best describe yourself in a quote: The frog at the bottom of the well drifts off into the great ocean. Favorite fantasy character book/movie/etc:Cloud Strife, a deeply troubled character with a great backstory and great characterization through the game. Favorite flavor of ice cream and favorite animal: I love caramel icecream and my favorite animals has to be foxes.
Thank you to all those who reached out by posting here or in direct messages. As of now we have found our candidates and are no longer looking for more but we still appreciate your interest. Best of luck out there!