Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Negative attack modifier in attack rolls.

Is there a way to add a -1d4 to an attack roll directly in the attack?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes, but how you do that will vary depending on what style of macro you are using (/r for roll or [[]] for an inline roll), how you want it to appear, or if you are doing this on a character sheet (and it may vary by sheet).  More details on how you want to use this would be good to get a better answer.
I don't mind using a macro. Right now I've been trying to do it directly in the character sheet's attack roll. Best I've found is doing an inline roll in the description. My character has a -1d4 from a cursed weapon. I would like to have that roll along with my attack without having to toggle anything or do extra math as this will be an ongoing issue.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Then you really ought to say what sheet you are using, so someone that uses that sheet can tell you how to integrate the roll.  There are 700ish different character sheets available on Roll20.  I expect a lot of them can have cursed weapons, so that hasn't narrowed it down much.
Kraynic said: Then you really ought to say what sheet you are using, so someone that uses that sheet can tell you how to integrate the roll.  There are 700ish different character sheets available on Roll20.  I expect a lot of them can have cursed weapons, so that hasn't narrowed it down much. My bad. It's the D&D 5e by Roll20 sheet.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I do have a test game to jump into and give answers to some things, but I don't actually play 5E, so I'm not sure how that is best done.  Hopefully someone that does will be along before long.

Edited 1594796123
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is the sword giving you a -1d4 to all rolls, or -1d4 to attack rolls made with the sword? For the first, I'd use a global modifier - turn these on in the Cog icon settings in the character sheet. The global attack modifier section is at the bottom of your Attacks & Spellcasting section. Add a -1d4 modifier and check the box. Repeat the process for the saving throw and skill global modifier fields if the curse affects these rolls as well. If the -1d4 is only for attacks with that weapon, I would just edit that weapon directly: In the Attacks & Spellcasting section, click the cog on the right that appears when you mouse over the weapon. There's a couple of places you can add a bonus for the attack roll, but you don't seem to be able to add dice here, only flat bonuses. So, it's a bit weird, but if you change the CRIT RANGE to this: 20 -1d4cs0cf0[CURSE] that should automatically roll the -1d4 for that weapon. You will still get green crit colouring if the initial die roll is 20, regardless of the 1d4 outcome. I've never done this before - I didn't realise you couldn't add die rolls into those empty modifier fields. This seems very strange.
Oosh said: Is the sword giving you a -1d4 to all rolls, or -1d4 to attack rolls made with the sword? For the first, I'd use a global modifier - turn these on in the Cog icon settings in the character sheet. The global attack modifier section is at the bottom of your Attacks & Spellcasting section. Add a -1d4 modifier and check the box. Repeat the process for the saving throw and skill global modifier fields if the curse affects these rolls as well. If the -1d4 is only for attacks with that weapon, I would just edit that weapon directly: In the Attacks & Spellcasting section, click the cog on the right that appears when you mouse over the weapon. There's a couple of places you can add a bonus for the attack roll, but you don't seem to be able to add dice here, only flat bonuses. So, it's a bit weird, but if you change the CRIT RANGE to this: 20 -1d4cs0cf0[CURSE] that should automatically roll the -1d4 for that weapon. You will still get green crit colouring if the initial die roll is 20, regardless of the 1d4 outcome. I've never done this before - I didn't realise you couldn't add die rolls into those empty modifier fields. This seems very strange. It's with the sword. But this did work. Also just as an fyi I couldn't get global attack modifier to do -1d4 unless I added a 0. So it was 0-1d4.