Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GM Notes on NPC Tokens Disappearing

So I spent a lot of time the other day prepping session and some dialogue for my tokens / items they are selling for the merchants.  Feeling confident with all my tokens, I'm clicking "Save" after typing in GM Notes.  Initially things are all good. In that session it shows that the Notes are there.  However, by the time I open up the next session the notes are not there. Of note only the Notes disappear. I can still make Handouts and such for the dialogue but it seems a bit tedious to do this for every NPC. I am using the most up to date Chrome and Firefox browsers and have gotten this error twice on each. This is only happening to the newest NPC tokens I'm trying to add notes for. The older NPC tokens still have the correct notes down.  Was hoping someone had a fix for this?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Sammy, These are the same unique tokens? No copy and paste, no dragging out a new one from the journal, etc? I have token GM notes that have been on the same map tokens for years, and some I've created for tests in the last few days, and I have never lost a note. Can you give some more detail, or some repeatable steps?
I think some of them might be copy and paste. I'll try dragging from journal and trying again and see if that helps but I'm not very sure why its happening. There are definitely unique NPC tokens that are losing GM notes that I've edited.  As far as repeatable steps I'm not entirely sure. I put down some notes. Click save after editing notes. Click token again and its still there. It isn't until i close the session and come back do the notes disappear. on the tokens i was editing.  Something to note is this is happening in my PTU campaign and a lot of the tokens there are not unique. (All merchants have the same token to represent them basically being clerks which I suspect are the ones I copy and pasted.) Also the Tokens are still there when I restart the session. But the Notes are not.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Any token should maintain its gm notes, regardless of what it is linked to, even if copy-pasted. A token that is dragged in from the journal tab will have whatever notes were on it when the default token was last set. If you can come up with an experiment that step by step shows the loss consistently, then we have something to work with. At this point, I can't repeat your experience. Possibility: Do you have more than one instance of the game open simultaneously? Or a different game loaded in a different window at the same time. That can cause data loss and confusion.
I haven't found a way to repeat it, the notes just sort of disappear. No other instances open. I type in the notes. Click save on the notes. And as long as I'm on that map / sessions if I click back on the Token, the notes will still be there. When I refresh the notes are just gone.
Same thing happens to my Tokens as well Sammy. But one thing I know for sure is that the tokens I'm losing my notes on, are all Mooks and have no real sheet connected to them. Like I'll grab a Free Chest off the search, pull into map, leave a GM note on it with contents. Then after a some moments (not specific or ritually), the contents disappear on said mook
Wish I could get this resolved. This is still happening for me. Only other way I can see this fixing is that I just save the new token as the default one from now on - which is mega annoying