Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problems with these premade modules

Honestly it is so frustrating to purchase an adventure module to save myself the time of using this clunky website only to still have a ton of busy work to do on a ton of little things that are clunky. For example I purchased the Ghosts of Saltmarsh package, but every token has their attacks and actions set to be rolled as whispers to the DM. This forces me to go into every token and change this option as well as making sure for certain tokens to hide the name like for Ned who is a spy, and secretly against the party. Not to mention that the freaking player handouts for things like the town are just the art, like seriously you are forcing me to go into every one of those handouts copy and paste the gm notes making sure to get rid of anything that may be secrets the players shouldn't know. If I purchase the type of content on Roll20 I expect to not have to deal with much busy work like this.  I am sorry for possibly being overly harsh, it is clear they did a lot of work. But I do not have a lot of time anymore to craft a campaign for my group and was hoping this would solve all my problems.
Oh also I have to manually set macros for spells with a spell save instead of a spell attack roll it seems.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Barras, Some of these things (like the Spy name perhaps--I'm not terribly familiar with the adventure content) should be reported with a  Help Center Request . Once the devs are flagged through the system, a ticket can be made and details like this can be reviewed and patched if need be. The whisper setting is a catch-22. Some folks want the default to be whispers, other folks want to roll everything in the open. I am pasting the instructions for changing these campaign-wide below. Can you give specific examples of player art handouts that reveal secrets? Those should definitely be fixed. Also, what is missing from spells that have saves instead of attacks? The spell description? (If, so, that annoys me, too, I'd like the default to show the whole spell info). But it is delivering damage and save DC. Note that the whisper settings are attached to each individual sheet, there is no actual game setting. These instructions are for changing the defaults for all the character sheets in the game, then applying the settings to all existing sheets. Note that this will also change your PC sheets - you will have to manually change them to a different setting if one is preferred. Here are the ways to toggle this behavior: Always Whisper Go to the Campaign Settings Page Choose "Always Whisper Rolls" under "WHISPER ROLLS TO GM" in the Default Sheet Settings Save Load your game Go to the settings tab on the right and scroll to the bottom where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Whisper settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar. Never Whisper There's a bug in the game settings that doesn't recognize "Never Whisper Rolls", possibly because it is trying to write a blank value. The solution is to use Whisper Toggle. The default is public, so once this is set, all rolls should show. Go to the Campaign Settings Page Choose "Whisper Toggle" under "WHISPER ROLLS TO GM" in the Default Sheet Settings Save Load your game Go to the settings tab on the right and scroll to the bottom where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Whisper settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar. Query Whisper The default is public, so once this is set, all rolls should show by default unless you choose otherwise. Go to the Campaign Settings Page Choose "Query Whisper" under "WHISPER ROLLS TO GM" in the Default Sheet Settings Save Load your game Go to the settings tab on the right and scroll to the bottom where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Whisper settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar.    7. Have fun!
The whisper setting is a catch-22. Some folks want the default to be whispers, other folks want to roll everything in the open. I am pasting the instructions for changing these campaign-wide below. Yep.  I'm one of those people (to simulate a DM screen... and because I like to fudge my rolls once in a while if the party is overwhelmed).  And apply default setting is the way to go for sure.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, I prefer the whispers, partly because of those reasons, but mostly because in the heat of a game, I can make a math mistake, and I don't want to slow the game down with players double-checking results or rules interpretations. Mistakes can happen in favor of either party, so it evens out.
I also prefer to have the rolls shown, but the name hidden. I usually use the steps that Keith posted above. Another issue I have had with a module/addon is showing too much is the Player Handouts for NPCs and Creatures that have the image scanned from the book, with the name included instead of cropped out. It can be a giveaway to show the name of a creature to the players.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM Joe, as a pro user, you might be able to get more utility out of the image displaying properties of  Supernotes . That can pull the art from the journal's bio page and display it in chat.
Since Ghosts of Saltmarsh is under discussion, note that some of the text was apparently not updated since the original releases so you will see things like DC30 dispel magic checks (In theory the highest DC should be DC 10 + spells level, or 19), and I feel like we came across a DC30 lock along the way also. Unless you just don't want your players accomplishing these tasks you'll have some manual work on your hands adjusting these, er, typos?
keithcurtis said: Can you give specific examples of player art handouts that reveal secrets? Those should definitely be fixed. Also, what is missing from spells that have saves instead of attacks? The spell description? (If, so, that annoys me, too, I'd like the default to show the whole spell info). But it is delivering damage and save DC. In the Downtime activities handout there is two major spoilers I believe with the fact it gives away Xendros sells Cursed items and that Gellan is able to hire players as smugglers. "Characters who are interested in making a fair wage for little risk can find jobs around town. Having a job can also enable a character to come to the attention of one of Saltmarsh’s leaders. The employment opportunities below are tailored to each of those individuals, including: Hiring on with the Oweland family to work on a fishing boat Joining the guard and report to Eliander Fireborn Taking short-term work in Gellan Primewater’s smuggling operation Mining or other forms of manual labor with the dwarves led by Manistrad Copperlocks Laboring on the docks, loading and unloading ships for Anders Solmor’s trading company For each week of employment, you earn the coin needed to sustain a modest lifestyle. There is also a chance that you attract the notice of the prominent person associated with your job. At the end of each week, make a DC 15 Charisma check. On a success, you earn the opportunity to request an audience with that person." Also in Sanbalat's Stat block for his charm spell it just outputs the text block for charm person, but no Spell Save DC and there is no quick referencee to what is spell save DC is on the block. It is in a block of text, but I believe it would be much more helpful if it was simple in bold next to the Spellcasting feature on the stat block. Also some more problems as I run the adventure some of these tokens stat blocks have typos and missing info. Take the Giant Centipede token , in the first adventure of the module. The Poison attack in the stat block is this: " The target must make a dc on a failed save If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way" It is missing what save to make and what the DC is and what happens in the case they succeed on the save. The info on what kind of save and DC is in the Bio and Info tab, but still not on what happens on a successful save. This could cause some serious brakes for a newer DM or though hey I'll just buy the module to save time and have Roll20 do the work for me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Both of those should be reported in a  Help Center Request , where it can be ticketed and assigned. The former may not be able to be changed, if that is the wording from the original book. The latter should be fixed, though.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Because of spoilers, perhaps we Xian’s remove Ned’s name?